Author Topic: Good place to keep your map  (Read 4611 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Good place to keep your map
« on: 15:00:13, 24/04/19 »
At least while I learn to use a printed map to navigate I'm going to need to keep the map handy instead of in my backpack (and maybe after too depending on how it goes). While I can carry it in my hands, it would be nice to have somewhere convenient to stow it too. I can't find any walking trousers in my size with a map pocket. Does anyone have any good ideas where to stow it?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Good place to keep your map
« Reply #1 on: 15:11:54, 24/04/19 »
why not get a map case? Clear plastic case that you can hang around your neck, and inside your jacket if you want. Means you can have your map open at the right bit instead of having to open/close it all the time. Compass can go in it too.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:15:42, 24/04/19 »
why not get a map case? Clear plastic case that you can hang around your neck, and inside your jacket if you want. Means you can have your map open at the right bit instead of having to open/close it all the time. Compass can go in it too.

Thank you while I've read about map cases I thought they were just to keep the map dry I didn't realise they had hanging potential too. I will get one.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:29:30, 24/04/19 »
I love a map case, though they are often seen as old fashioned these days. They work better with the less bulky non-waterproof maps.
If it swinging about and flapping in the wind becomes annoying then put the cord over one of your arms as well as round your neck or tuck it in to your jacket or a strap of your rucksack.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:33:45, 24/04/19 »
You won't go far wrong with an Ortlieb map case - not cheap from about £15.75 upwards. I've had one for a few years now and it's still as good as new - got mine off eBay for just over £10.

Plenty of reviews available online.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ortlieb_map_case_with_drawcord-ID_9560

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:40:00, 24/04/19 »
I love a map case, though they are often seen as old fashioned these days. They work better with the less bulky non-waterproof maps.
If it swinging about and flapping in the wind becomes annoying then put the cord over one of your arms as well as round your neck or tuck it in to your jacket or a strap of your rucksack.

I already own all waterproof maps and my navigation manual teaches you to mark them with a chinagraph pencil so I can't really use the non-plastic maps. I hope they still fit, after looking around it seems OS themselves sell the best one.

Not bothered about it being old fashioned.

Thanks for the wind tip.

You won't go far wrong with an Ortlieb map case

Maybe this one is better then. I'll have to investigate further. Thanks.

Edit: I opted for the OS map case in the end as it is significantly bigger and I thought the extra size might better accommodate my weatherproof maps.
« Last Edit: 16:16:59, 24/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:18:45, 24/04/19 »
If it's a paper map then I use an ortlieb map case but I prefer waterproof maps. It really depends which trousers I've got on, one pair have a map pocket the others doesn't. But either in a side pocket of my rucksack if I can reach it or just tucked under the waist belt or stuffed down my shirt. It's really not an issue I'd bother about but never ever tied around my neck on a peice of string. That would really drive me mad very quickly.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:23:37, 24/04/19 »
I used map cases for a while but they were irritating.  Every so often you had to refold the map (that should not be a problem for you Rob - ou aren't going far enough) and they flapped about in the breeze unless you stuffed them under a strap.  Craghopper make trousers (not in your size though) with a thigh pocket big enough for a map and if it is colder any jacket worth its salt has a map pocket.  Personally I would invest in a colour printer and some plastic document wallets.  Then you can fold the map in 4 and stick it in a pocket. The walking map then becomes recyclable and the planning map stays pristine.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:27:29, 24/04/19 »
Thank you Owen I was hoping you'd answer. Two votes for Ortlieb - hopefully I haven't errored by opting for the OS map case instead (on account of it being bigger so I thought better able to accommodate the weatherproof maps).

I can tolerate things hanging round my neck but I have to admit I hadn't considered just stuffing it down the hip strap. Maybe this was £20 I didn't need to spend!

Ninthace, I tried printing an A4 map of my last walk and I found it didn't contain enough detail to be of any use nor did it have grid lines to orient the compass bezel to or take grid references from. I don't know what you do differently, it's obvious you don't do what I did.

motorlaunch

« Reply #9 on: 16:51:26, 24/04/19 »
Change the cord that comes with the mapcase for one that is long enough to allow the mapcase to be held down by your hipbelt or even moved around to be slid in between your rucksac and back when not required.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:58:13, 24/04/19 »
Change the cord that comes with the mapcase for one that is long enough to allow the mapcase to be held down by your hipbelt or even moved around to be slid in between your rucksac and back when not required.

Do you mean hang it on the hip belt or hang it round your neck with the long cord?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:02:29, 24/04/19 »
Ninthace, I tried printing an A4 map of my last walk and I found it didn't contain enough detail to be of any use nor did it have grid lines to orient the compass bezel to or take grid references from. I don't know what you do differently, it's obvious you don't do what I did.
I print from the OS website with the map scale at either 1:25000 or 1:12500.  That has all the detail the map can provide plus grid lines.  Use Print Preview to check the output (useful for printing overlapping sheets).  The map is printed with gridlines on it automatically and your intended route is printed on the map (in my case as a thin red line). I print on both sides so even long routes don't eat many sheets.  Your Holme Fell route would fit on 2 sides of A4.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:08:12, 24/04/19 »

This is ok for shorter walks not so good for longer one, I also do this when I go out in my kayak. I use memory map but I think you can do it off the tinternet. Prints just the same as the map although you sometime need to write the grid numbers on.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:12:24, 24/04/19 »
I print from the OS website with the map scale at either 1:25000 or 1:12500.

So that's what you do differently, I zoomed out to fit the whole route on one side of A4. Shame we didn't have this chat while the library was still open, I could have printed an area and begun practicing today (my knees are very nearly better today, 6 days later - I hope they get stronger).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:18:52, 24/04/19 »

for Lunedale Head route - one side of A4 at 1:12500
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy