Author Topic: Often surprised by how much solitude you can find  (Read 1997 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Often surprised by how much solitude you can find
« Reply #15 on: 19:37:19, 03/12/19 »
Fairly normal in that area.  Walking most of the North Pennines, Mallerstang and the Howgills you are unlikely to meet anyone.  Even peaks like Cross Fell, you will usually have to yourself.
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:13:13, 03/12/19 »
Living in the heart of the Peak District, I’m used to dodging tourists/visitors.
But even so, it’s easy to avoid the ‘honey pots’ & find places where nobody else ventures.
I have many favourite walks where I see very few other people, some none at all.
You just have to know where to go 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:33:47, 04/12/19 »
Lovely sunny and non-windy day here in Portsmouth, I walked a circular route 4km around two car parks. Except at the car parks never saw a soul!. I sometimes think that I'm the only one keeping the footpaths open.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:07:44, 04/12/19 »
I can guarantee meeting someone on a walk. I may have been walking for hours without meeting a soul but when I pick a deserted looking place amongst trees if possible, for a pee...as soon as I start..., I hear voices or dogs barking or both. :o Yesterday I popped into a copse of trees and lo and behold I heard dogs barking. I hadn`t seen a soul for two hours. So I hurried up and zipped....when I appeared out on the path there were two dogs and four walkers.
The other week I popped into some trees for a call of nature and hadn`t seen a soul for hours, once again. As soon as I started I heard a chain clanking...it was a dogs neck chain and walker in tow..its the same when I park my car in a deserted area with spaces all around. I come back from the shop to find I`m boxed in on all sides  :o :o ;D
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:21:08, 04/12/19 »
Oh yes, the pee phenomena, it happens to me as well!  ;)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:56:07, 04/12/19 »
Less than half a mile from my home, here in Dyffryn Ardudwy, once the tourist season officially comes to an end, roughly at the beginning of October, you can almost guarantee that the old Harlech to London coach road, that leads through the Rhinogs, below the summit of Moelfre, is totally deserted.

Ive regularly walked there even in the height of Summer, knowing the summit of Snowdon will have more visitors to its summit in one minute, than the entire Southern Rhinogs has in the entire year.

In next weeks General election, the entire voting population of Harlech, llanbeder, Llanfair, Dyffryn and as far as Barmouth, has less than 3000 eligible to vote constituents.

I asked the vote counters during that fateful 2016 referendum vote, how many voters were in my ward, i forget the exact figure they told me, but i think it was just under 2700 people.

If your after solitude, head for the West coast of Ceredigion and Gwynedd, its mighty quiet round these parts.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:41:48, 04/12/19 »
I may have been walking for hours without meeting a soul but when I pick a deserted looking place amongst trees if possible, for a pee...as soon as I start...,

Spare a thought for us female walkers who have to crouch down!  ;D  I put hubby on lookout duty

JerryW

« Reply #22 on: 20:01:25, 05/12/19 »
All you need is a Shewee and a ziplock bag to keep it in ... ;-)
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

KimE

« Reply #23 on: 21:18:22, 05/12/19 »
Then i worked with forestry in Sweden it took several years between the times i saw other people in the forest (roads excluded).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy