Author Topic: Hi Crazy American in love with English Fells new to the forum  (Read 1067 times)

JFK

Hi,
Popped onto this forum in hopes of meeting many who have walked the C2C and learn from them!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
I’ve not walked the C2C, but welcome from Aberdeenshire in Scotland

JFK

Thanks Bigfoot_Mike  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Not yet but in the fun phase, booking accommodation and planning routes for a C2C this June/July  :)
Where there's a will ...

JFK

Fantastic, I really can't wait to hear how it goes. My plan is late June into early July of 2020. Are you planning on taking any of the High routes (Red Pike, or Hellvelyn)? I have walked in Cumbria and in Malham extensively but never in the lakes proper and I have a mixture of total excitement and a bit of fear to take on the high routes. I am originally from Colorado so mountains are my thing but I am a lot older and years away from serious climbing so am hoping on advice from EVERYONE!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Red Pike if the weather is good, if not I'll cut up to Haystacks or if the weather is really bad I'll skip both.
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Welcome from Portsmouth. I've walked C2C twice, first one way then the other. Given a choice I preferred the hike towards the Lake District, for me doing the best bit last. I did enjoy the Lion Inn though, especially on the night when a USA man held court in the pub and told all of us customers about his business of growing tomatoes, the different varieties, shipping problems, timing and so on. He was a real enthusiast!

My best C2C was when I hiked with some Walking Forum blokes few years back. We started from St Bee's, crossed the Lake District and when we arrived at Keld in the centre of England, they carried on to the end of the C2C, whilst I turned south on the Pennine Way to Edale. For me it was two walks in one.

Do linger on High Street and try to soak up the Roman history of it, its claimed that chariot racing took place up there. Not sure if its true but I like the idea of it.

My only disappointment was upon arrival at Edale, the pub served me a disgusting meal! I sent it back and they then without quibble, they provided me with a really good one.

JFK

Thanks for the advice and history. I really am looking forward to this walk and I know that it will be difficult but oh so beautiful. I do intend on staying at the Lion Inn, and I do apologize we Americans do get a little verbose at times  ;) .

I once walked from Little Strickland to Shap Abbey which is what sparked my obsession with doing the C2C so I think I shall find that leg from Patterdale to Shap all so rewarding as I meet up with the funky chickens and spend some quiet moments in that beautiful valley abbey before heading to my accommodations for the night.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy