Author Topic: The cow discussion........ again  (Read 13924 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: The cow discussion........ again
« Reply #90 on: 13:25:35, 30/01/19 »
I havent got room for a trumpet in my bag..I will take a Kazoo with me when hiking round Dovedale next time...cows all over the show there..scary ones too :o

This was easier when hiking in the good old days when Izal made loo paper and a gentleman always had a comb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGwVO6KuMI
The modern soft stuff is useless but I bet a plastic fiver would be a good substitute.
Solvitur Ambulando

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 13:48:41, 30/01/19 »
I used to work on a dairy farm. It was a well known fact that music calmed cows down.
We always had a radio on during milking time. Try talking to inquisitive cows next time you pass them.......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 14:03:20, 30/01/19 »
I used to work on a dairy farm. It was a well known fact that music calmed cows down.
We always had a radio on during milking time. Try talking to inquisitive cows next time you pass them.......
...I didn't realise they were good conversationalists.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 14:15:22, 30/01/19 »
I remember that paper, it was called Bronco! I grew up in an era when the advice was to use dock leaves!

I chanced on the Tony Robinson Coast to Coast prgramme yesterday, he and the farmer were surrounded by cows, they were stroking, patting, leaning on them, the cows had their young ones with them as well, not a twitch, it was all peace and harmony!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 14:22:07, 30/01/19 »

This was easier when hiking in the good old days when Izal made loo paper and a gentleman always had a comb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGwVO6KuMI
The modern soft stuff is useless but I bet a plastic fiver would be a good substitute.
Using Izal with a comb, was much less painful than using it for its intended purpose too.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 14:38:36, 30/01/19 »
Using Izal with a comb, was much less painful than using it for its intended purpose too.
More memories :) San Izal! If you scrunched it up and rolled it around between your hands it could be tenderised enough, not to damage your nether region.
Too little, too late, too bad......

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 14:40:33, 30/01/19 »
More memories :) San Izal! If you scrunched it up and rolled it around between your hands it could be tenderised enough, not to damage your nether region.
;D It was great to use as tracing paper though..as long as said drawing wasn`t bigger than a sheet.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 16:42:20, 30/01/19 »
Great for its original purpose too when out hiking.  Water resistant, possibly washable although I never tried.  Economical too, you could write on both sides of the paper if necessary.  We used to get 3 sheets in a 24hr ration pack, enough for up, down and a polish.

As a student, I worked for the Royal Aircraft Establishment where it came on a roll with "Government Property" printed on the top and bottom of each sheet.  I never found out how they got the ink to stick to it because what was intended for surely wouldn't.  I presume it was to prevent it being nicked but who wants that much tracing paper?
Solvitur Ambulando

AFOR

« Reply #98 on: 22:26:17, 02/02/19 »
My wife and I are very wary of cattle by the very fact that they are big animals and we don't know what their temperament is like and indeed if they would chase us or not, I suppose because I'm not a farmer my ignorance should be bliss , however our view is if cattle are in a field and we need to cross we look for another field or another route, we have even turned back and abandoned the walk.

Because we are green walkers ( inexperienced) we are not sure where we stand when we go off the public right of ways and through farmers fields to avoid cattle , but I deem it as the lesser evil, unless of course an angry farmer shoots us !!!   

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 07:59:02, 03/02/19 »
You're allowed to detour off a ROW sufficiently to bypass an obstruction, so if you deem them an obstruction you should be ok.  Worse that can happen is that you commit a civil offence of trespass but I've never heard of a walker being in court for that offence  O0
Where there's a will ...

Sonatine

« Reply #100 on: 09:56:41, 03/02/19 »
You're allowed to detour off a ROW sufficiently to bypass an obstruction, so if you deem them an obstruction you should be ok.  Worse that can happen is that you commit a civil offence of trespass but I've never heard of a walker being in court for that offence  O0

I agree, better to be in the wrong and safe than right and injured. I doubt you'll encounter an issue if you take a reasonable detour.  

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #101 on: 08:32:48, 11/02/19 »
This article was posted on the Farmers Weekly website on 29th January, but I've only just noticed it:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/walker-trampled-to-death-by-cattle-in-west-sussex?fbclid=IwAR1CP5ZyRhJ_zPLX45HLnS03vd_3GpniSUGArlx8FEbNligr3cDQtGZoObw

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 08:43:00, 11/02/19 »
Oh, if only all farmers followed the advice given at the foot of the article!

FTSTTLB

« Reply #103 on: 11:46:54, 11/02/19 »
Gosh. It's only after a rather weird experience on Offa's Dyke that we started to read about the danger of cows. We had no problem with them before that. Now I think my fear of cows has surpassed my (moderate) fear of heights.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy