Author Topic: American walking the C2C  (Read 23574 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: American walking the C2C
« Reply #90 on: 13:16:58, 10/02/18 »

Cutting up a trailblazer guide worked very well on the Pennine Way;  I kept the pages for the day in my pocket, and threw them out at the end of the day.
Did have a map as well though!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 14:20:07, 10/02/18 »
Now my very practical wife would have suggested using them to wipe your b*m with  :)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 22:08:13, 10/02/18 »
Ach, they were too shiny, moss is better in extremis

Deolman

« Reply #93 on: 00:17:11, 11/02/18 »
I also use the trailblazer books and find the detailed information and the maps extremely useful. Bearing in mind I may want to repeat a walk, such as my second attempt at the C2C later this year, I copy them onto my computer then using DTP can lay them out with three or four maps to a page. I can then print them out double sided which allows me to store the days maps in my map case and keep the book in my rucksack. I also have the Harvey maps and the route is also downloaded onto my GPS.

KathyDahm

« Reply #94 on: 03:05:23, 17/03/18 »
I purchased the Garmin eTrex 30X which arrived today, and now I have to find a coast to coast map to put onto it. It looks as though I'm going to need to buy the Garmin GB Discoverer Coast to Coast Walk map, for about $179. Is that what you did? I have the Harvey maps and both the Trailblazer guide and Wainwright's guide. I'm not very technically savvy, especially with technology I'm not familiar with. I need to look for a "GPS guide for dummies". I wouldn't be surprised if someone has written one.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 08:46:41, 17/03/18 »
No need to buy the Garmin ones, there are plenty of free OSM maps out there. One of the best available I've found is from

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-BtzqG8Y_Z0fkwxRm5vOWNjOEdHZGlUTUYzM0p3dEFmaTVMcHowNjBsZ3RXUWh6QzVfMkU

Read the instruction documents first which explain what to do.  I can also let you have a route that you can load into your GPS should you wish.
Where there's a will ...

Deolman

« Reply #96 on: 09:07:20, 17/03/18 »
Plenty of information on the internet regarding use of your GPS. That being said they are not difficult to use and do not require a lot of technical savvy.  Agree with sussamb that you only need a basic map and a GPX file which will show your route as a coloured line on the map.  So long as you have your paper maps and know how to use a compass the GPS should only need to be used to confirm that you are still on route. You should download Garmin Basecamp onto you computer (free software) then import the GPX file.  You can then check the route and amend it to the route you have planned (there are different routes you can take depending on weather and/or your abilities) then just upload to your GPS.   Also make sure your batteries are fully charged at the start of each day and carry a spare set in your rucksack. I am planning to walk the C2C for the second time June/July this year as I enjoyed it so much the first time. Trust you will enjoy it as much as I did.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 10:24:30, 17/03/18 »
I'm walking it too in June/July but next year ... will be interested to hear how you get on  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 10:27:15, 17/03/18 »
Plenty of information on the internet regarding use of your GPS.

True, good start is these videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_494520&feature=iv&list=PL9D03CC85B73D025F&src_vid=Y5TqNsDeSms

and this guide which explains how to set up your Etrex http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

@KathyDahm If anything doesn't make sense just ask, there are a few of us here who can help  O0
« Last Edit: 10:30:21, 17/03/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 12:10:17, 17/03/18 »
I need to look for a "GPS guide for dummies". I wouldn't be surprised if someone has written one.

They have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GPS-Dummies-Joel-McNamara/dp/0470156236/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521288341&sr=1-1&keywords=gps+for+dummies

But the best advice comes free, from sussamb and others on here  :)

Deolman

« Reply #100 on: 13:01:22, 17/03/18 »
I'm walking it too in June/July but next year ... will be interested to hear how you get on  O0

Because of medical problems most of my route will be low level and I will be avoiding Kidsty Pike going around Ullswater and stopping overnight at Bampton. This worked out very well in 2016.  Will be interesting to see the route from 9 Stds now it has been paved - the bogs were awful when I last did it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 13:15:12, 17/03/18 »
They have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GPS-Dummies-Joel-McNamara/dp/0470156236/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521288341&sr=1-1&keywords=gps+for+dummies

I flicked through that a while back, mainly aimed at automobile use and in my view not particularly useful.  Much better info available via Google  :)

If though you prefer a book, and some do, this seems much better https://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Grips-GPS-Mastering-Navigation/dp/1904207383/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2XJ32NBQADHFAZ0KCGKE
Where there's a will ...

staggerindragon

« Reply #102 on: 17:15:13, 17/03/18 »
I'm a bit late to the party, but I noticed your comment about rest days earlier.  They're a great idea and give you the option of recharging your batteries, doing chores or exploring the area.  My rest day near Keld turned out to be the first gloriously clear, hot day of the trip, so off I scampered to Tan Hill for a shorter hike and a nice cold beverage. ;-)
I hope you get the chance to eat at the Mango Tree in Kirkby Stephen.  Delicious!

KathyDahm

« Reply #103 on: 02:39:27, 18/03/18 »
No need to buy the Garmin ones, there are plenty of free OSM maps out there. One of the best available I've found is from

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-BtzqG8Y_Z0fkwxRm5vOWNjOEdHZGlUTUYzM0p3dEFmaTVMcHowNjBsZ3RXUWh6QzVfMkU [nofollow]

Read the instruction documents first which explain what to do.  I can also let you have a route that you can load into your GPS should you wish.
I've tried multiple times to download this file, but I haven't been successful. I keep getting an error message of "no mountable file systems." I have a MacBook Pro with OS High Sierra, version 10.13.3.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 07:32:52, 18/03/18 »
Sent you a pm  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy