Author Topic: Crampon slipping  (Read 838 times)

topher83

Crampon slipping
« on: 11:46:52, 05/02/19 »
Hi

Think it was here I posted ages ago about trouble I was having with my crampons, I have a pair of strap crampons and Mindl boots (not quite a B1) and found the front kept slipping out, the crampon would go one way and the front of my boot would go the other way

I found myself a secondhand pair of winter boots (Old style Scarpa Charmoz, that have the heel notch and are rated for crampons) but the same happened

I think the heel is lifting slightly  over the metal backstop and going forward, allowing room for the front to come lose
Looking at the back the heel on my boots is quite narrow and theres a lot of room between the side brackets and the boot

Is this normal and if not anyone any suggestions?
Was thinking about bending them in a bit, or spot welding a little bit extra onto of the backstop so the boot couldn't go over it

Thanks

Images
https://imgur.com/a/mjLG07u [nofollow]

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Crampon slipping
« Reply #1 on: 11:56:29, 05/02/19 »
They don't look like they fit the boots very well. Put the crampons on the boots but don't do the straps up. Pick the boots up, if the crampons stay on they fit if they fall off they don't.

If they don't fit there's not much you can about it except change them, take the boots with you when you go shopping next time.

topher83

« Reply #2 on: 12:05:39, 05/02/19 »
Yeah they stay in place when lifting the boot without the straps on. Just with the straps on I can lift the heel over the backstop (no brexit jokes  :) ), albeit with a bit of difficulty

Tbh, my mindl boots were new, but the winter boots and crampons were just ebay jobs. Dont go climbing and only use them for mountain walking the few times in the year the UK has snow so didn't want to buy new

motorlaunch

« Reply #3 on: 15:48:43, 05/02/19 »
Your crampons look similar to Lucky Stone
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LUCKY-STONE-LuckyStone-Anti-slip-Crampons/dp/B015YZJ6R8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1549379886&sr=8-9&keywords=crampons
If you can lift your heel over the backstop, it would suggest that the strap isn't tight enough. I would try shortening the crampons so that you have to force them on to the boots. Then look to why the strap is not holding the boot down.

topher83

« Reply #4 on: 15:51:46, 05/02/19 »
Yeah thats them, dont have the name on them but the images are identical
I'll give that a try cheers

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:20:15, 05/02/19 »
I would try bending the heel "side stops" in a bit so that they actually pinch the sides of the heel. Ideally, the crampon should be a tight fit on the boots without the straps.

And there doesn't seem to be much at the front to stop them slipping off sideways. If you know how to weld, why not weld on a couple of extra stops either side of the toe - you've nothing to lose by trying to modify them.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #6 on: 13:23:39, 06/02/19 »
If what you have is very similar to the Lucky Stone ones on Amazon, then they seem a bit too cheap to me.   I'm not sure that I'd want to put my faith in something that cheap, as the metal strut underneath could become bend and snap.   Perhaps this explains why you're having problems with them.

The BMC posted an article about cheap crampons a few years ago.   I realise that the crampons shown on the BMC article, aren't the same as the ones that you have, but the general gist of the article is about how dangerous cheap crampons can be.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/dangerous-crampons-online

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy