Author Topic: C2C diversions  (Read 1942 times)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
C2C diversions
« on: 23:05:38, 07/04/18 »
Anyone know if the diversion over/around the A1 is still in place? Should be there on the 16th May

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C diversions
« Reply #1 on: 09:10:13, 08/04/18 »
I'm sure you probably know about the page below but it implies that the diversion will be there until April 30th. The roadworks are almost complete, thank goodness.

https://www.wainwright.org.uk/coasttocoast.html
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:58:45, 08/04/18 »
Yea seen it Brian, just wondered if anyone had observed matters on the ground as it were in the last few days. North of the Swale to catterick bridge seems a good option if the diversion is still there. Only just decided to do a C2C early next month as I had a 10 day window. Still sorting accommodation but will wing it if any problems. See that they have flagged Nine Standards in part at least... 5 years since my last stroll over there..
John

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:03:57, 08/04/18 »
I look forward to hearing how you get on, especially how the slabs help (or not). In truth, the diversion isn't that far and on track then pavement but I guess it depends how far you've walked by that time. When I did it the first time I was walking a long way from Grinton Lodge just outside Reeth to a B&B a mile after Danby Wiske so the diversion was a long way into my day and a pain in the feet. Second time I was staying in Brompton On Swale so this was at the end of an easy day.

It's on my "possible" list for October again this year for 9/10 days  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:17:15, 08/04/18 »
Think I may do an E - W in September as I have not been this direction before and I cant think of anything else I really fancy that I can do at short notice

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:19:55, 08/04/18 »
It is quite possible that I set out from St bees having not boots or carried a pack since Edale last August Bank holiday....nice and steady till Keld :P

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:20:16, 08/04/18 »
worn

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:17:21, 08/04/18 »
My 3rd c2c was E-W. It was nicer to finish in St. Bees by walking down St. Bees Head with the beach always in sight rather than down a steep road dodging the tourists at RHB.

I also preferred doing the Lakes section at the end as it's more scenic then stomping across the Moors but that's just my own opinion.

What's putting me off just now is that I usually stay in the youth hostels but at the moment they all seem to want about £30 a night. If the price comes down I may be tempted  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:43:58, 09/04/18 »
Got in at Patterdale for 15.50 (inc breakfast) and Borrowdale for 29 ( single room however). Osmotherly was 30 in the dorm so didn't bother. YHA pricing is bewildering; you get people who book late and stay a while for  6or 7 quid a night. If you go through the phoneline you get to pay full whack. Weekends get racked up in some hostels but not others and there does seem to be a summer rate starting around mid May.
I like to support hostels but increasingly I find I am the only walker in the place amongst party animals wanting a cheap bed for the night. Does not make for a good nights sleep ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy