Author Topic: Helvellyn via Striding Edge.  (Read 2164 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Helvellyn via Striding Edge.
« on: 13:36:38, 12/12/19 »
Hi Sages,
my brother is coming to Blighty in a few months (end of April) from Australia, & he suggested we visit the Lakes. He also suggested walking/climbing Helvellyn via Striding Edge.Im not into scrambling & he surprised me when talking of it. I know next to nothing about Helvellyn and its surrounds, except what I have recently read and understand there may be some scrambling involved along Striding Edge. He is 69 years of young age, & I know age shouldn`t stop him if fit enough, and I am considering it.

I`m not really after advice to do it or not. I`m just after an idea of what it is like from different viewpoints, then I can make my mind up if my Bro still wants to go there, when he visits us.
Thanks O0
« Last Edit: 14:19:07, 12/12/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Helvellyn via Striding Edge.
« Reply #1 on: 14:35:42, 12/12/19 »
For most of the way you have the choice of either walking on the very top or slightly down to the side which is much less exposed.
There is a bit of hand on rock where you have to stretch and take your weight on your arms as you lower yourself.
If you do decide to try it pick a still, dry day.

I don't know if the Julia Bradbury 'Wainwright Walks' are still available but it shows you what to expect and may solve you the problem of what to get your brother for Christmas . I'm sure there are loads of vids on line too.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:18:03, 12/12/19 »
Years ago I took my mother, in her fifties at the time, over Striding Edge - she had no bother at all.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:10:41, 12/12/19 »
For most of the way you have the choice of either walking on the very top or slightly down to the side which is much less exposed.
There is a bit of hand on rock where you have to stretch and take your weight on your arms as you lower yourself.
If you do decide to try it pick a still, dry day.

Thanks Ridge informative..
Years ago I took my mother, in her fifties at the time, over Striding Edge - she had no bother at all.
I will keep telling myself that if I go along it :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:58:33, 12/12/19 »
Striding Edge, do it and then you'll want to do it all over again! Which way through, clockwise or anticlockwise? I have been up Swirral Edge but never down it. Walked across Striding Edge once covered in snow, now that was exciting!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:10:55, 12/12/19 »
Not to spoil the party but scrambling in your senior years is certainly more commitment than when you're younger - any fall is likely to be more serious, and having a fall is more likely.  That is simply the unfortunate reality, unfortunately shown by the 71-year old gentleman who died after a fall from Striding Edge 16 months ago during a 'perfect weather' day in July.  There are many more who end up injuring themselves, or having a near miss. 

However there are 69 year olds with incredible mountain fitness and I certainly plan to be bombing around the hills at that age (provided I get my cyborg knees installed by then).  It certainly is less of a question of the route itself and more a question of you and your brother, how used to moving on mountain terrain are you, how confident are you and whether you want to keep it flexible on the day.

For example you could see how you feel on the day, if you feel uncertain - the Red Tarn-Catstye Cam route allows you some excellent views and it is handily giving you a nice circular. 

Alternatively you might want to use the Grisedale valley route rather than back via Striding or Swirral and circle around via Dollywagon Pike - it's an excellent route on a good day and I usually find the Grisedale valley is a lot quieter than the main route up.  Likewise with approaching via the west, or even White Side. There are plenty of options for the views where you don't need to be quite as committed/if weather isn't to your liking. 

Just be cautious, if you aren't happy with conditions take an alternative route and make a good day of it regardless.  Overall though I can think of little better than your plan, the idea of having a 'mountain picnic' with my brother from the other side of the world, both agaze at a sublime view after having completed a long-awaited route.
« Last Edit: 22:34:04, 12/12/19 by forgotmyoldpassword »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:18:53, 12/12/19 »
Striding Edge, do it and then you'll want to do it all over again! Which way through, clockwise or anticlockwise? I have been up Swirral Edge but never down it. Walked across Striding Edge once covered in snow, now that was exciting!
Early days yet, we need to find accommodation and make some plans a tad closer to the time.  O0

Not to spoil the party but scrambling in your senior years is certainly more commitment than when you're younger - any fall is likely to be more serious, and having a fall is more likely.  That is simply the unfortunate realities, unfortunately shown by the 71-year old gentleman who died after a fall from Striding Edge last a year-ago during a 'perfect weather' day in July.  There are many more who end up injuring themselves, or having a near miss. 

For example you could see how you feel on the day, if you feel uncertain - the Red Tarn-Catstye Cam route allows you some excellent views and it is handily giving you a nice circular. 

Alternatively you might want to use the Grisedale valley route rather than back via Striding or Swirral and circle around via Dollywagon Pike - it's an excellent route on a good day and I usually find the Grisedale valley is a lot quieter than the main route up.  Likewise with approaching via the west, or even White Side. There are plenty of options for the views where you don't need to be quite as committed/if weather isn't to your liking. 

Thanks I will check the other routes you mention on OS mapping. I will leave our options open for a good while yet. My Bro has always been more adventurous than me and so I always blamed him for the scrapes we got into as kids. :o
You ever felt that being with someone of courage gives you more.?
25 years ago he led me up the Gloucester tree in Western Australia. If he hadn`t done it first...I would never have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester_Tree

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:20:29, 12/12/19 »
If you choose a good dry and clear day you'll be half way there. This is a video I took a couple of years back. I went across the top but the lower path is visible if you don't fancy the top route. There is a bit of hands on and an awkward climb down before the steep ascent to the summit.  O0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQsHcaY3_Y

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:23:43, 12/12/19 »
I agree with most of the above - the only tricky bit is the short down climb before the slog to the summit of Helvellyn, however, if you have a good look at it and take it oe move at a time it is surprisingly easy, and, if you get there and don't fancy it, its a lovely walk back along the ridge and tackle Swirral Edge instead!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:46:26, 12/12/19 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQsHcaY3_Y
A great video , thanks for posting.. What was the plaque for that is shown just after half way on the video.? :o

if you get there and don't fancy it, its a lovely walk back along the ridge and tackle Swirral Edge instead!
I have been pondering on that... or maybe up one and down the other..thanks.!

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:49:09, 12/12/19 »
I think the climb up onto Helvellyn from Swirral Edge is considerably harder than the climb up from Striding Edge due to the erosion.
It's all uphill from here.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:26:16, 12/12/19 »
Funny how perceptions are different! I'd have said the opposite! I really enjoy going up Swirral.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:19:58, 12/12/19 »
A great video , thanks for posting.. What was the plaque for that is shown just after half way on the video.? :o
Thanks  O0
It's the Dixon Memorial
https://www.lancashirelife.co.uk/out-about/pets/the-story-of-foxie-the-loyal-irish-terrier-on-helvellyn-1-6003538

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:06:21, 12/12/19 »
It was a long time ago that I did the Striding Edge / Swirral Edge route, but I don’t remember any particular issues. I was very in experienced at the time and didn’t know what I was letting myself in for. I had a much more difficult ascent from the opposite side across Lower Man in a blizzard one Easter.

Striding Edge is definitely not as exposed as Crib Goch or Aonach Egach, both of which I found difficult on my first traverse. It really depends how comfortable you are with exposure, narrow paths and a bit of scrambling. Reaction to exposure is a very personal thing, but you can train for it, gradually building up from less exposed routes. My mum thought the bottom section of the Miners Track on Snowdon was exposed and she didn’t get very far.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:20:44, 13/12/19 »
Reaction to exposure is a very personal thing, but you can train for it, gradually building up from less exposed routes. My mum thought the bottom section of the Miners Track on Snowdon was exposed and she didn’t get very far.

I think that is spot on.  My daughter was terrified on Striding Edge, but goes climbing with no issues other than when she has finished a route and looks back down it.  My wife froze on the Rhyd Ddhu path as it traverses across to meet Bwlch Main - nearly had to call MRT she was so adamant she couldn't move!  The nice thing with Striding Edge is, as Ridge said, the path on the right hand side.  Personally on a nice day I love a ridge walk, but it's also nice to know there's an alternative.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy