Author Topic: Houseboats on Grasmere  (Read 11194 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Houseboats on Grasmere
« Reply #105 on: 18:06:28, 15/02/20 »
Dave I kinda agree that living on a boat can be fun and it was a unique development.. think people are more frustrated about a few developments showing a lack of environmental sensitivity in recent years in a very busy place.

Would you be able to elaborate on the 'cottages which appeal to us'? What is it about the current accomodation options which doesn't suit.

Hi FMOP (if I may call you that  :) ). I can, but it's a long story. Actually, I posted a collage of cottages we used in 2019 in Reply#78 above which includes our favourite type - the grass-roofed 'hobbit house' - although castles are great too!

I mentioned earlier that we've done a lot of cruises. Our first was a short cruise in 2004 which we did because I emigrated to Australia by ship as a child and I wanted to relive the experience. We loved cruising, but after years of camping holidays it seemed very expensive so at first we booked the cheapest inside cabins. As time went by, we went for ever better cabins until we were spending a great deal on our two-week summer cruises. Eventually, we tired of cruising and because we'd started to walk for pleasure we discovered that we could get absolutely fantastic cottages in Scotland for a lot less than we'd been paying for cruises. Although I'm retired, my wife still works full-time and our summer holiday has to be special - the cottage we choose isn't just a base from which to walk, but it's a summer holiday that we look forward to all year. And I'm afraid that's why any old cottage in the Lake District (of which there are many!) isn't what we're looking for.

By the way, I totally understand how people feel when new developments spoil a previously lovely, unspoilt area. About half-a-mile from where I live, diggers are moving in to start work on a huge housing development on a place called Duncan Down - a meadow on a hillside with amazing views to the sea and Whitstable. Until recently I walked across the meadow regularly, but it's now fenced off. About four miles away, local people are fighting to save a wonderfully atmospheric stretch of marshland ,which is home to vast numbers of migrating birds and other wildlife, from becoming the UK's largest solar farm. Now, I mention these examples because I walk in these areas a lot and the changes will have a huge impact on the local environment and local people. But... I don't for one minute expect people who live hundreds of miles away to care about what's happening on the North Kent coast as much as I do...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 18:14:10, 15/02/20 »
I think the houseboats idea would have had a more sympathetic hearing had the proposal been for one of the lakes with a boating tradition.  That way the moorings could have been less intrusive and folk renting the boats would have had somewhere to explore in their boat during the day thus spreading them out and, if they were replicas of old fashioned boats, they would have added something to the scene.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 18:21:28, 15/02/20 »
I would agree - I doubt that there would have been the volume of concern had the proposal been for Windermere.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #108 on: 18:39:19, 15/02/20 »
How can I answer that? I know... these are the cottages we rented in 2019. Top: boathouse on Mon & Brec canal. Middle-left: Big cottage in Peak District (took kids and grandkids). Middle-right: Broch of Coigach (Highlands). Bottom-left: Blacksheep Cottage (Harris). Bottom-right: Hywel Sele Lodge (Snowdonia).

We like accommodation that's a bit different.  :)
It makes sense now. You haven’t looked hard enough.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: 20:47:56, 15/02/20 »
I've been active on forums for many years, but this is the first time I've been the subject of a discussion...  :)

Hey, you're not anybody until you've been "the subject of a discussion" on here. Better still, if you have a topic started about you by someone else.  And the icing on the cake is if I write a poem about you  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #110 on: 21:08:37, 15/02/20 »

Hey, you're not anybody until you've been "the subject of a discussion" on here. Better still, if you have a topic started about you by someone else.  And the icing on the cake is if I write a poem about you  ;)

Ok I'll start:

An avid walker from Whitstable, Kent
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 22:20:24, 15/02/20 »

Ok I'll start:

Said ‘Boats on Grasmere? Heaven sent!’

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: 08:03:04, 16/02/20 »
Said "Boats on Grasmere? Heaven sent!"
But little did he know
Opposition would grow
And he would be better off staying in a tent!

(Sorry - couldn't resist)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 14:50:56, 16/02/20 »
Said "Boats on Grasmere? Heaven sent!"
But little did he know
Opposition would grow
And he would be better off staying in a tent!

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

Brilliant  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy