Author Topic: Planning to Head Out in Poor Weather.  (Read 7235 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Planning to Head Out in Poor Weather.
« Reply #45 on: 22:25:07, 01/03/18 »
I had my wool scarf wrapped around my face at first today, but after breathing through it, it froze solid. So I could not breath properly.  Never had that happen before.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 22:27:38, 01/03/18 »
Only piece of army kit I have left is my 'hoodover', not sure what it's really called but basically it's a tube of material. 

Brilliant piece of kit, better than a balaclava and I guess similar to a buff  :-\

Yes, I remember the old headovers, first came across them back in 1980. It came as a surprise when buffs came out and said on the label that they'd been "invented" in the USA in 1994.   

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 06:45:44, 02/03/18 »
Yep, after the posts above I looked at some sites and thought the same!  Army ahead of the game as usual.  Mine is showing no signs of wear even though I must have had it over 30 years! (Apologies, sounding like DA now  ;D)
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 12:43:34, 02/03/18 »
Yep, after the posts above I looked at some sites and thought the same!  Army ahead of the game as usual.  Mine is showing no signs of wear even though I must have had it over 30 years! (Apologies, sounding like DA now  ;D )
Jon I had shivers down my spine then  ;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 13:37:11, 02/03/18 »
According to Derek Brockway, the weather man on BBC Wales, yesterday was the coldest March day ever recorded in Wales.

My high quality thermometer was registering -6C yesterday afternoon, so it looks like the whole of Wales was well below freezing.
Areas of the Brecon Beacons went as low as -7C without the added windchill, which is a record for the start of March, and some parts of Northumberland have seen the heaviest snow drifts in decades.

Here we are discussing this cold snap, and without realising it, records are being set for extreme weather.

Global Warming ?  something is happening, not quite sure what.
« Last Edit: 13:40:19, 02/03/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 13:45:46, 02/03/18 »
Jon I had shivers down my spine then  ;D

;D ;)
Where there's a will ...

Maggot

« Reply #51 on: 14:21:55, 02/03/18 »
Yep, after the posts above I looked at some sites and thought the same!  Army ahead of the game as usual.  Mine is showing no signs of wear even though I must have had it over 30 years! (Apologies, sounding like DA now  ;D )

I got issued one on the way to an exercise in Germany in late 1983, it is kicking around somewhere, with some combats that appear to have shrunk, a kit bag, some braces that have lost their elastic qualities and a copy of 'Survive to Fight' ;D   Putin would be a fool to attack with so many of us in such a state of readiness  ;D ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 15:12:23, 02/03/18 »
Ah German exercises ... revives old memories ...  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 16:13:49, 02/03/18 »
Ah German exercises ... revives old memories ...  O0

Ah yes - the delights of call outs, Station Minivals and NATO Tacevals.  A particular favourite was Active Edge, the Army used to get excited but the RAF just came to work at the normal time - job done. Did you get Endex doughnuts too?

Back to the thread,  I went out again this afternoon across the fields leaving some tracks that will get them talking - each footprint 2ft long by 10" wide.  Wore my buff to keep the wind off, only one drawback to them though; I haven't found a way of keeping my face warm without my glasses fogging up.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 16:26:09, 02/03/18 »

Ah yes - the delights of call outs, Station Minivals and NATO Tacevals.  A particular favourite was Active Edge, the Army used to get excited but the RAF just came to work at the normal time - job done. Did you get Endex doughnuts too?

Back to the thread,  I went out again this afternoon across the fields leaving some tracks that will get them talking - each footprint 2ft long by 10" wide.  Wore my buff to keep the wind off, only one drawback to them though; I haven't found a way of keeping my face warm without my glasses fogging up.

Now now, as an ex member of the senior service, it grieves me to hear these petty diggs.   ;)

Funnily enough though, the hard nut's up at Okehampton camp, appeared to have cancelled their exercises yesterday. Judging from the lack of any red flags flying on the ranges I walked close to.

I stuck to the local fields today too.  No yetti tracks spotted though.  O0
« Last Edit: 16:32:55, 02/03/18 by BuzyG »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 16:39:57, 02/03/18 »
I stuck to the local fields today too.  No yetti tracks spotted though.  O0

Never mind the Beast from the East, what about the Dartmoor Beast? A black panther if I remember correctly. You might see its tracks if it's still about.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 17:23:34, 02/03/18 »

Now now, as an ex member of the senior service, it grieves me to hear these petty diggs.   ;)

I did 5 years in dark blue before I did 25 in a more becoming shade so I sympathize with your view.
Here's one for you:
How to the 3 services use the stars?  The RN navigate by them, the Army sleep under them and RAF use them to rate hotels.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 17:29:09, 02/03/18 »

Yep, couldn't expect you lot to do any real work  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 17:30:24, 02/03/18 »
There was one on Bodmin Moore in Cornwall as well.
Back in the very late 1960s and early 70s, it was possibly to walk into Harrods of Knightsbridge, and buy some very exotic animals, lions, tigers, leopards, within reason anything was available for the wealthy clients wanting an exotic pet.
Thankfully such poor regard for exotic creatures, is a thing of the past, but there is a very good chance that a very small number of these unwanted pets were released into the wild.

Back in the 1990s, there were a number of sightings, and possible photographs of large cats, particularly panthers, in the South of England, Dartmoor and Bodmin due to their size and remoteness, were known hot spots.

Nothing recently has been reported, so the number of creatures must have been very small indeed, but there's a good chance one or two of these wild cats still roam the English countryside.

Tin

« Reply #59 on: 17:34:27, 02/03/18 »

I did 5 years in dark blue before I did 25 in a more becoming shade so I sympathize with your view.
Here's one for you:
How to the 3 services use the stars?  The RN navigate by them, the Army sleep under them and RAF use them to rate hotels.

Only ever been a civvy so I can't knock anyone who served but that was funny.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy