Author Topic: Waterproof normal-trouser vs Waterproof over-trouser  (Read 4617 times)

Starkiwi26

Dear all,

I just started walking last June and I fell in love with walking. I will be walking all year round for the rest of my life.
Therefore, I would like to invest a good walking trouser, considering the trouser will last for years?

Appreciate fellow members could please help clarify my doubt below:
a) I am confused what is the pros and cons for: A waterproof normal-trouser vs a waterproof over-trouser?
b) a waterproof over-trouser: Do this mean I just put it on only when the weather turned bad and started raining?
c) a waterproof over-trouser: Allow me to wear a comfortable trouser, eg a jean?
d) a waterproof normal-trouser: Legs Sweat crazily because of breathable problem? Does a Gore tex trouser fix the breathable problem?
e) a waterproof normal-trouser: Not going to last long (even with Gore tex) because machine wash after every trip? Need a new trouser every year?
f) Any recommendation for a good trouser? Budget <£100-£150 if the trouser can last me for years.

Regards,
Starkiwi
« Last Edit: 00:25:31, 12/02/19 by Starkiwi26 »

Ralph

Re: Waterproof normal-trouser vs Waterproof over-trouser
« Reply #1 on: 06:20:34, 12/02/19 »
For a few years now I have been happy with Montane Terra pants & Rab equivalent. Rain beads off of them and if caught in really heavy rain without over trousers they are quick drying. My choice of over trousers are Berghaus Pac Lite, when they get muddy I just wipe it off with a damp cloth,. had them years. Must add that I DO NOT walk in jeans, if you do and get wet you'll know why. Hope this helps, enjoy your walking.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:28:23, 12/02/19 »
Definitely for walking in most of UK I find it better to have walking trousers with a pair of waterproof overtrousers. That way I can have various weights of walking trousers, lightweight for summer when it's hot, medium weight for most of the year and lined winter trousers for really cold weather.  For overtrousers I have Berghaus Deluge, that have full length zips so easy to put on/take off.
Where there's a will ...

FTSTTLB

« Reply #3 on: 07:56:51, 12/02/19 »
I have a couple of waterproof normal-trousers. If it's really cold I wear thermic underwear under them. But usually the pair suffices. I also have one of those zip ones, so you can turn it into a short, which is great for both temperature regulation and the weight of your backpack.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:03:06, 12/02/19 »
Welcome to the forum from Orkney, Starkiwi.  :)

First thing - avoid jeans at all costs, a disaster if they do get wet, and so heavy!

I use overtrousers a lot in winter, even if it is not raining, as they are windproof as well as waterproof. The weather in Orkney can be utterly unspeakable, and I'm out every day for a few miles with the dog, even if the rain/sleet/snow is horizontal.

The normal trousers that I wear are just cheapo synthetic ones that are not tight fitting - they work for me, or if I'm really heading out into the wilds, I'll wear Ron Hill Tracksters (tracksuit bottoms). If I'm off up the hill in real winter conditions, I'll wear Helly Hansen fibre pile salopettes over the Tracksters, with overtrousers on top - a bombproof combination!

The overtrousers I wear are Berghaus "Deluge", cost £35, reduced from £60. They have a full length zip so that I can pull them on over boots, and the zip allows for ventilation. I don't seem to have a big problem with condensation, despite them not being Gore Tex. I've used them a lot and I would recommend them.
« Last Edit: 08:09:39, 12/02/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ralph

« Reply #5 on: 08:06:40, 12/02/19 »
Forgot to mention in my earlier post Ron Hill Tracksters. I've noticed a few walkers now wearing them again, they used to be popular years ago. I had forgotten that I have 2 pairs so I wore a pair for a days cycling a few weeks ago. They really are comfortable & quick drying, will give them a go on my next walk in the Peak District.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:08:25, 12/02/19 »
Definitely for walking in most of UK I find it better to have walking trousers with a pair of waterproof overtrousers. That way I can have various weights of walking trousers, lightweight for summer when it's hot, medium weight for most of the year and lined winter trousers for really cold weather.  For overtrousers I have Berghaus Deluge, that have full length zips so easy to put on/take off.

+1 for the Deluge overtrousers. The best that I have ever owned. As you say, separate overtrousers give maximum flexibility.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:54:20, 12/02/19 »

Just to confuse matters, I go the other way.  I swear by Paramo trousers, I have a winter pair and a summer pair, and I find them really comfortable.  Except in hot weather, when I tend to wear shorts anyway, they seem to keep me about the right temperature and above all, dry.  As long as you look after them they last for years, Paramo will repair them if necessary, and when you finally give up on them you send them back and they give you 50 quid off a new pair.
I will do anything to reduce the weight I am carrying, and not having to carry over trousers, and faff about trying to decide how long the shower is going to last and weather it's worth digging them out and putting them on, is something I really value.  Also, I don't find overtrousers very comfortable.
However, Paramo is a bit of a marmite brand.  There will now be a deluge of responses for and against.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:01:12, 12/02/19 »
Adding more confusion, there's those that swear by rain kilts. Even lighter than over trousers , a lot quicker to get on and off, and can be used to keep stuff off the ground overnight and I suppose as a seat on damp says.

Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:50:03, 12/02/19 »
Adding more confusion, there's those that swear by rain kilts. Even lighter than over trousers , a lot quicker to get on and off, and can be used to keep stuff off the ground overnight and I suppose as a seat on damp says.

Have you used one yourself, jimbob?

Never heard of them before, to be honest.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:51:25, 12/02/19 »
There will now be a deluge of responses for and against.

Each to their own, Islandplodder. If it works for you, then that is all that matters.  :)

PeterDevon

« Reply #11 on: 11:05:10, 12/02/19 »
+1 for Paramo, specially with full length side zips for extra cooling when warm or even to take off without removing boots.They do need washing correctly and reproofing regularly.

taxino8

« Reply #12 on: 11:19:11, 12/02/19 »
Berghaus Pac Lite one’s for me.
I’ve had them for years but have reproofed them a few times.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:55:58, 12/02/19 »
No, but I am tempted. Gunwharfman made his own. There are a couple of threads regarding them on the forum. They do "seem" to cover all the bases for a lightweight, practical solution.
Personally I carry a spare pair of breeks. Having discovered many years ago that skin is fairly waterproof (no doubt there will be scientific evidence to show this is untrue), and wet quick-dry trousers dry quick, I just suffer the pain of the rain. Being from Northumberland (North) then rain is something you experience a few times in your life and either get used to or move. Otherwise I try to be a fair weather hiker. Oh, I moved. Also I wear a long coverall poncho if it is really wild.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:05:33, 12/02/19 »
Rohan trousers with a built in waterproof, breathable liner are really good but expensive. They are a Winter trouser, too hot in anything above a couple of degrees C.Waterproof overtrousers are best all rounders, put them on if raining take them off if it stops. goretex and Event are the best breathable versions, avoid those that seem really cheap, they won't last. Also you may want to consider gaiters such as Rab Latock Alpine GTX, or Berghaus GTX, worn beneath overtrousers or rain run off will go down inside gaiters and into your socks. Gaiters on their own over your trousers are useful when it;s not raining but long grass is wet. If the cuff of your sock get wet, gravity will pull it down into your boots/shoes - wet feet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy