Author Topic: Summer soltice  (Read 2272 times)

Toxicbunny

Summer soltice
« on: 12:12:02, 15/06/20 »
I always go for a walk early hours to watch the sunrise from the top of hill. Am I the only one that does this on here. I make sure I take a blanket as even though it's the official start of summer it's still cold. Last year apart from us six others who were not with is did the same thing. I got some great photos of the sunrise.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer soltice
« Reply #1 on: 13:42:56, 15/06/20 »
I always go for a walk early hours to watch the sunrise from the top of hill. Am I the only one that does this on here. I make sure I take a blanket as even though it's the official start of summer it's still cold. Last year apart from us six others who were not with is did the same thing. I got some great photos of the sunrise.
For the last 30 years, I have been to Land's End to watch the sun set on the 21st June (even though it is not always the true solstice).  Did even when I lived up country.
There have been some classic.

Here is one from a couple of years back.

https://youtu.be/-se-9CLOjmA
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Toxicbunny

« Reply #2 on: 20:21:49, 15/06/20 »
For the last 30 years, I have been to Land's End to watch the sun set on the 21st June (even though it is not always the true solstice).  Did even when I lived up country.
There have been some classic.

Here is one from a couple of years back.

https://youtu.be/-se-9CLOjmA

Lovely  O0  A lot of people do go to watch the sunset.  I'm hoping the weather will be OK this year weve had a lot of rain this June.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:30:47, 15/06/20 »
Many years ago when I was a student a few of us drove down to Chanctonbury Ring to watch the sun come up on Midsummers day.  It was a beautiful morning, and we had a lovely quiet walk up to the summit..... I'm sure we heard a nightingale......and at the top there were hoards of people and a film crew.  I can't imagine why we thought we would have it to ourselves to walk 3 times round and do whatever it is you are supposed to do.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:51:15, 15/06/20 »
A couple of years back our group headed to Fur tor. Starting from Lydford at sunset and returning at sunrise.  Shame it was mostly foggy and we followed the walk leader the wrong way off Hare tor like a bunch of sheep in the fog.  So much for his GPS skills. It was 2AM ;D

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:40:53, 16/06/20 »
I forgot, in 1979, went to Stonehenge to watch the sunrise.
Was a large party, music, Druids, could walk around the stones, but not between them.
Felt a bit tired at work the next day.

davengf

« Reply #6 on: 14:20:03, 16/06/20 »
I watched the solstice sunrise from Carn Brea nr Lands End a couple of times some years back, also watched the solar eclipse (1999?)from there. Beautiful place with vast views.
Always try to find somewhere high & if local, normally end up at the Agglestone nr Studland or Wingreen nr Shaftesbury.
Even watched it from Glastonbury Tor back in the 70s, 5 people up there & bitterly cold!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:13:42, 16/06/20 »
When I was active in the RAF gliding world we would mark the longest day by operating from dawn to dusk.  It was fun to be winched up to 1200 ft as the sun rose.  It was always a short lived flight though, as there are no thermals at that time of day so it was a downhill slide to land back into the sunrise about 10 minutes later.  I discovered landing straight into a rising sun was less fun.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:17:51, 16/06/20 »
I watched the solstice sunrise from Carn Brea nr Lands End a couple of times some years back, also watched the solar eclipse (1999?)from there. Beautiful place with vast views.
Always try to find somewhere high & if local, normally end up at the Agglestone nr Studland or Wingreen nr Shaftesbury.
Even watched it from Glastonbury Tor back in the 70s, 5 people up there & bitterly cold!
Ah, Carn Brea, good views of Camborne and Redruth.
Not a good place to have a camp fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP-GPqHnW6A

Monsoon

« Reply #9 on: 15:51:12, 16/06/20 »
Ah, Carn Brea, good views of Camborne and Redruth.
Not a good place to have a camp fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP-GPqHnW6A [nofollow]
There is another Carn Brea down Lands End.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:55:36, 16/06/20 »
There is another Carn Brea down Lands End.
Do you mean Chapel Carn Brae?

davengf

« Reply #11 on: 17:59:54, 16/06/20 »

Monsoon is quite right, just had another look at the map, Chapel Carn Brae is the one I was thinking of.

When we went down for the eclipse, we stayed at Lower Numphra Farm campsite & walked to the hilltop, watched the shadow travel across the sea, pass over us & then cross the land towards Penzance. Birds stopped singing as it went dark in a matter of seconds - Eerie experience.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:22:25, 16/06/20 »
Monsoon is quite right, just had another look at the map, Chapel Carn Brae is the one I was thinking of.

When we went down for the eclipse, we stayed at Lower Numphra Farm campsite & walked to the hilltop, watched the shadow travel across the sea, pass over us & then cross the land towards Penzance. Birds stopped singing as it went dark in a matter of seconds - Eerie experience.
During the 99 eclipse, most of Cornwall had cloud and rain.
I was working up in London and, though not a total eclipse, was still very impressive.  Went quiet there too, probably similar to it was a month or two back.
Somewhere I have a timelapse of the last partial eclipse we had down here.

davengf

« Reply #13 on: 22:45:07, 16/06/20 »
We had cloud but no rain that morning, still worth the effort though.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:53:14, 17/06/20 »
Yes that was an interesting experience.  We were stood on a cliff top near Bolt Head Salcombe.  The silence of the animals was quite spooky and it's return most welcome.  The many small boats watching out to sea turning to shadowy specs of light was another thing that sits in the memory.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy