Author Topic: New Weather Station proposed for Snowdon's summit A BIT POINTLESS  (Read 3119 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
There has been discussion amongst those who think they know the solution and answer to the serious problem of unprepared walkers venturing up Snowdon, by placing a rather expensive 24/7 weather station on the summit of the mountain.
There is a thought that walkers or intended tourists can study the inclement conditions 3560ft up in the sky, and make a serious judgement on whether its safe to walk up the mountain.

I thought there was already a webcam on the summit, when its working efficiently that is, and anyway, most people are so intent on reaching the summit, that they will ignore the potential risks awaiting them. :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
While there are webcams giving views of Snowdonia, I, and Google’s front pages, are unaware of a summit webcam. Can you provide the link? As to a summit weather station, I presume it would be something quite small so provided it iwas unobtrusively located - say on the roof of the cafe - why not? All data is good data. Again, where is the link?
Solvitur Ambulando

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
I'll provide a link, seeing as the OP hasn't. Personally I think summit weather stations would be a waste of time as we all know how quickly the weather changes on summits. Someone about to climb the hill can look at the current weather/temperature on the summit but by the time they arrive there, things often will have changed.

Just because it's sunny and dry on a summit when you set off doesn't mean it will still be that way when you arrive at the summit. How many people will look at the current weather and decide to leave the waterproofs to save weight only to regret it near the summit.

A link to this... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/snowdon-summit-weather-station-cut-14447464
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
Three mates are sat in the pub when one says, How about we drive to North Wales one weekend and go up Snowdon?
Yeah, good idea, that'd be great, comes the beery response, When shall we go?
What about two weeks' time? We could go on the Sunday.
So on the day, the weather's not up to much, but the plan has been made, and off they go.
They're not early enough to get a space at Pen y Pass, so they leave the car in Llanberis for £5 and get the Sherpa up.
It feels a bit breezy and chilly when they get off the bus and there's a bit of damp in the air. The board inside the building says the temperature on the summit is 2C, with a NE windspeed of 25 mph gusting up to 40-45 mph, while visibility is 50 metres and there is a 60% chance of rain in the afternoon.
Are the trio going to be deterred? No. They're out for an adventure, they've got all their gear together, got their scoff, filled their car up with petrol and got up early to drive 90 miles to here. There won't be another chance for weeks, and nothing is going to change their minds now.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Inside the Electric Mountain visitor centre, there used to be, and it still might be there, a weather station for the summits of Snowdon, and a few other Snowdonia peaks, including Elidir Fawr.
Everytime i visited Electric Mountain, the webcam or video camera was misted up, and all one could see was the gloom and driving rain, but occasionally the summit was in brilliant sunshine.
All i can think of is that the Mountain Railway and Park authority want to update a possibly outdated facility on the summit of Snowdon.
Either way, i doubt very much a bells & whistles video of the current weather situation on the top of Snowdon, will deter that many novice walkers.

The lure of the 3560ft peak is just too great for the majority, and unfortunately casualties will continue to occur.

Mel

• Veteran Member
I think a weather station on Snowdon's summit would be a good idea. 

Coupled with a few live webcams pointing AT Snowdon from different angles and it could prove a really useful resource.

Sadly though, I agree with fernman's example - that it would prove next to useless to the very people it is aimed at helping   :(    

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I think a weather station on Snowdon's summit would be a good idea. 

Coupled with a few live webcams pointing AT Snowdon from different angles and it could prove a really useful resource.

Sadly though, I agree with fernman's example - that it would prove next to useless to the very people it is aimed at helping  :(    

I'm with you. It helps those of us who plan to plan, and for those who set off as fernman describes - that is Darwin at work.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I recon this is the viewpoint shared by countless thousands of would be excited visitors to Snowdon.
It has that magical mysticism, a mountain that must be conquered at all costs.
The vast majority who scale its heights annually, live a considerable distance away, so when they have set a date, they unfortunately have to stick to their plans.
The weather is sometimes kind at Pen Y Pass, but so many simply do not know that temperatures can be extremely cold near the summit, compared to the carpark.

Ive even walked through a snowstorm lasting several minutes during a visit in early June some years ago.

A professional webcam showing the severity of the weather upstairs, may make potential walkers even more desperate to reach the summit.

I have travelled a considerable distance at some expense to reach Llanberis, and the weather is far from friendly.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of walkers both experienced and novice, that are deterred from climbing the mountain due to very poor weather.

That percentage i am sure is very small, indicated by the woafuly unprepared and ill equipped visitors one encounters on the various paths to the top.

Owen

• Veteran Member
There's a automatic weather station on Cairngorm, it doesn't really get in anyone's way and does provide some very usable data. Maybe a bit to complicated for you to understand but there are lots of people who can, if you ask I'm sure they would explain it to you. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy