Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573144 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2535 on: 22:11:44, 29/12/18 »
Last walk of the year with our walking group today.  4 lovely, blustery, sunny miles around Brandesburton followed by a scone and cuppa in the nearby garden centre  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2536 on: 19:38:03, 30/12/18 »
I am still contemplating seeing the New Year on Snowdon.
Its been quite a few years since ive been upstairs as the New year arrives.

Some friends went up Y Garn, above Ogwen, yesterday, and conditions were very mild, but quite cloudy.

Its been a while since ive been to the summit, and looking at the forecast, the weather looks almost ideal, apart from very poor visibility.

There is 100% guarantee of heavy cloud cover on the summit, and i know navigating in pitch darkness with the light from my Petzl, will be a big challenge.

Was it not for the guaranteed poor visibility, then conditions are ideal.

I will think it over tomorrow.

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #2537 on: 21:03:40, 30/12/18 »
Took the wife for walk up pen y ghent on saturday, weather was poor in the morning and getting better from dinner time so as usual we were very relaxed in getting ready in the morn and once a lunch gathering stop was made @the naked man cafe, we arrived in horton abt 11am. All the usual spots and car park were busy(which was good to see). Cloud cover was decreasing all the time and the current bun was saying hello which was uplifting, the only concern was the wind and strong gusts. For all the cars parked about there wasnt that many footprints in the mud. Once attempting the steep climbing section the wind/gusts were id say 5mph away from too dangerous to attempt, a few times i was very nearly blown away. Was good to get up to the top again, had the ham sarnie in the wind shelter and even had a phone call on the top. Going down the other side was very very windy and it was just head down and take the steps at a time to get low down asap. We did 6.56miles in 2h20 walking which i was very happy with. Found some glasses on the steep climb bit if anyone knows of anybody who lost some, we still have them!
"if in doubt, flat out"

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2538 on: 20:49:40, 20/01/19 »
Out and back to Hangingstone hill, with the moorland group today.  Took in Irishman's wall and Cosden beacon on route.  One of those fun routes where you can see the entire route right from the first ridge. The weather was much better than forcast too, which is always a bonus.  A nice days walking. O0
« Last Edit: 21:00:19, 20/01/19 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2539 on: 09:17:15, 21/01/19 »
I haven’t been on the moor yet this year, been holding off after all the wet. What’s the going like?
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2540 on: 00:31:43, 22/01/19 »
The going is still pretty firm by winter moorland standards.  Very little run off and the ford at he base of Steeperton was easily crossed. Not always the case in winter. 

Clearly a Ten tors training day though.  It was like Paddington Station eating lunch on Wild tor.  That is a very popular and accessable part of the moor mind.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2541 on: 11:12:27, 23/01/19 »
Just booked a night in Mungrisdale on Saturday for a two day walking weekend - looking at the forecast for Saturday I may regret this one.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2542 on: 18:51:14, 24/01/19 »
Just booked a night in Mungrisdale on Saturday for a two day walking weekend - looking at the forecast for Saturday I may regret this one.

:(  It does look pants  :(

We will be doing a low level walk, we don't fancy the 50mph gusting winds and heavy rain higher up  :(

You could always spend some time in the pub there, pdstsp  :)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2543 on: 21:08:54, 26/01/19 »
Doing the Roaches tomorrow with my group.  Thermals at the ready! :D :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ronin83

« Reply #2544 on: 18:28:50, 27/01/19 »
Did an 11km circular walk including some chess river walk(Herts). Bloody windy with some hail at times.
No stopping, but a warm pub at the end of it.
Nice

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2545 on: 18:39:30, 27/01/19 »
:(  It does look pants  :(

We will be doing a low level walk, we don't fancy the 50mph gusting winds and heavy rain higher up  :(

You could always spend some time in the pub there, pdstsp  :)

Great advice - walked round High Rigg on Saturday, stayed at the Mill inn on Saturday, good beer, food and bed!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2546 on: 21:46:42, 27/01/19 »
Another Dartmoor day today.  I decided I needed a good work out so walked around all the 600m tops on the moor.  I had not tried that in the winter before.  Tis hard work. O0

Strarted from Meldon quary up red a ven, to Yes tor 619m, then straight down the other side to East Mill tor. Then on to Hangingstone hill 603m, via Okement hill.  Next a quick loop around on the peat pass to Whitehorse Hill, 602m.  From here accross to Cut Hill, 603m, is a proper slog, not even any decent animal trails just 3km of unrelenting, tussocks.

To make things intesesting the East Dart, normally a trickle this close to it's source, was a proper little River.  I ended up waist deep hauling myself out on to the grass, after stepping on the wrong bit of marsh after I thought I was accross.  Not ideal with wind chill at -9 LoL.  Happily the walk to the summit of cut hill was enough to keep me warm, until I could find shelter from the biting wind at Fur tor.  Never done that before lesson noted.

After a well earned lunch in the shadow of Fur tor, it was on along the edge of Black hill to Great Knesset, before crossing the West Okement and climbing the final few Kms up to the last summit of the day, High Willhays.  Just caught the last few rays of the setting sun.  A nice cuppa and it was back down to Meldon.  After a day entirely alone I was joined by a very amiable young guy for the decent in he diminishing light.

Great day on the moor and yet more valuable experience gained.
« Last Edit: 21:54:21, 27/01/19 by BuzyG »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2547 on: 19:43:36, 15/02/19 »
RidgeDaughter, very occasional member of this forum, is off on a 50km Scout challenge walk this weekend across the Chilterns. So I have a 2.5 hour round trip to drop her and her friends there this evening

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2548 on: 20:18:42, 15/02/19 »
RidgeDaughter, very occasional member of this forum, is off on a 50km Scout challenge walk this weekend across the Chilterns. So I have a 2.5 hour round trip to drop her and her friends there this evening

Good luck RidgeDaughter  O0

I hope you get back soon enough to have a glass of wine before you retire for the evening  :)

We are off on a wild camp, we hope. The forecast is now for gales over the higher fells, so we will be camping low down, if we can find anywhere  :-\   :(
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2549 on: 20:27:02, 15/02/19 »
Good luck RidgeDaughter  O0

I hope you get back soon enough to have a glass of wine before you retire for the evening  :)
Probably no wine tonight, I'll have to rectify that tomorrow.
RD wanted to call their team 'Jasmin Paris' but the other members wouldn't have it.

Hope you have a good time and it is not too windy*

*insert your own joke at Beefy's expense here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy