Author Topic: Shetland  (Read 6058 times)

nesty

Re: Shetland
« Reply #15 on: 16:57:24, 10/06/18 »
Thanks for this. Certainly ticks the boxes.
I have a campervan so I'll be doing the campsite thing.

Though, where I live right down south, it's going to be a big journey not only time wise but financially as well, So a bit of planning will need to be done!    O0

astaman

« Reply #16 on: 20:45:26, 17/07/18 »
Hello,

My first post so I hope it's helpful.

I live in Shetland and all the advice you've received so far is very good. I'll add a couple of thoughts and suggestions. Famously the coastal walking is the main attraction. In fact it's quite difficult to more than a few miles from the sea anyway. Care is needed because the cliffs are high and potentially dangerous with geos and deep crevices appear from the heather with great cunning. Don't expect to find the network of paths, tracks and trails that you find in other places. There are some paths but historically journeys between Shetland communities were made by boat so no ancient infrastructure for foot traffic developed. There was no dear stalking as in the Highlands so those hill tracks are missing too. In Shetland you have to develop an eye for sheep tracks. I am currently walking the coast of Shetland and have noticed that there tends to be a sort of sheep super highway perilously close to the edge and another some yards further back from edge. The can be very useful in the trackless wilderness.

Others are right about Unst but other places are easily overlooked. There is a tendency to judge Yell by the drive through the blanked peat bog seen from the road but investigation of the coast repays the effort by revealing hidden gems - try Breckon Sands, Gloup, Otterwick among may other places. Over the past few days I've walked the coast of Bressay (easily reached by a few minute ferry ride from Lerwick). The south end has some has fabulous cliffs and wartime archaeology and the east coast has great archaeology and scenery. I've also scene five otters there over the past few days. There are also small places tucked away that are wonderful. The banks around Silwick and Westerwick on the West Mainland are fantastic.

Worth looking at Peter Guy's half dozen guide books giving an account of his walk around the coast of all the permanently inhabited islands. They have them in the Lerwick library and its worth an hour or two there browsing the local collection at the start of your holiday.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

nesty

« Reply #17 on: 16:16:55, 19/07/18 »
Cheers Astaman many thanks for the residents view.
Shetland seems like is one of those uncharted areas for walkers, completely different to say the Peak district for marked footpaths etc.
The more I look into Shetland the more I want to go. Just a question of fitting in it in 2018.

One question is there LPG filling on the islands? I thought I read there was 1 place near Brae. I could require LPG for my campervan (naturally fill up before boarding Ferry), not necessary for running as it can run on petrol, but I would require it for cooking and heating etc inside, if Leisure LPG tanks ran out.

astaman

« Reply #18 on: 12:25:08, 20/07/18 »
Hi Nesty,

An update on the availability of LPG in Shetland. According to the local tourist office there is only one outlet in Shetland. You are right it is close to Brae but slightly to the north along the main road. It is close to a place called Mangaster. The address is:

The Red Quarry
Sullom
North Mavine
Shetland ZE2 9RF

It belongs to the same people that own the St Magnus Bay Hotel in Hillswick and you need to phone them to arrange an appointment to get gas as the quarry isn't permanently manned. Their number is:

01806 503372

I'd be inclined to give them a ring before you set off from home to make sure that they still provide LPG.

One other thing you might not be aware of. There used to be a very good caravan, camper and camping site in Lerwick  but it closed down due to the area being developed as a new high school. It has not been replaced and I don't think there are any plans to replace it. There are other sites around Shetland of course.

Get in touch if I can be of further help.

nesty

« Reply #19 on: 19:25:56, 20/07/18 »
Hi Astaman
Thanks for this, Ah Sullom, I knew the LPG outlet was somewhere near the Mavis Grind, though I couldn't remember what place it was!

Re Lerwick I've done some google street view surveying and I happened to notice a site / bit around the back of the Clickimin leisure complex (Stanley hill Road), then clicked to the next image, which featured a more recent date and massive building work taking place and it all disappeared.  I wasn't too sure if they were going to put it back in, doesn't look like they are, which is a pity as looked an ideal spot. I want to have a couple of nights in Lerwick, but it's a question of where to park the van, as it's a smaller campervan, I might be able to get away with on the street somewhere?     
« Last Edit: 20:29:31, 20/07/18 by nesty »

astaman

« Reply #20 on: 13:57:39, 21/07/18 »
Hi Nesty,

You're right, the building site is now a fully functioning high school and there is no plan to replace the camp site. Unfortunate because it was a good one with access to the leisure centre next door. If you can wild camp anywhere in a camper van then Shetland is the place. I live in Lerwick so I've never had to think about parking up here but I'll ask around and find our what others do and post suggestions. Send me a PM when your due to come up - I'll buy you a coffee.

nesty

« Reply #21 on: 14:54:05, 21/07/18 »
Hi Nesty,

You're right, the building site is now a fully functioning high school and there is no plan to replace the camp site. Unfortunate because it was a good one with access to the leisure centre next door. If you can wild camp anywhere in a camper van then Shetland is the place. I live in Lerwick so I've never had to think about parking up here but I'll ask around and find our what others do and post suggestions. Send me a PM when your due to come up - I'll buy you a coffee.

Thanks will do, like I said I am trying to do it in 2018, but might run out of time, mainly as now the light is starting to close in quicker in Shetland. Might be spring 2019, though will certainly let you know when on island!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy