Author Topic: which model of silva compass should I get?  (Read 4492 times)

whitehorse

which model of silva compass should I get?
« on: 21:45:48, 06/02/18 »

I've decided it's about time I bought myself a decent compass (i.e. not the sort you'd get in a cracker which is what my current one is a bit like!) and re-learn how to use it. Since I've lived in Yorkshire I've got lazy as there's generally a stone wall or other feature to navigate by, and I haven't done much open fell walking.

As a teenager I used to have a silva compass and I went onto the internet thinking I'd get another one, to be met by a bit of a baffling selection of different models!

Can anyone please recommend one? I'm happy to pay more if there are going to be features I'd use, but it's pointless wasting money if one of the more basic models would do.

Basically, I just need one that I can use to get me off the moor in the right direction in the fog, and that sort of thing.

Many thanks  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: which model of silva compass should I get?
« Reply #1 on: 22:08:55, 06/02/18 »
Silva Expedition 4 model is probably adequate for you.
Where there's a will ...

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:50:57, 06/02/18 »
Yup, the Expedition 4 fits your bill. Shop around.
Skip

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #3 on: 22:56:37, 06/02/18 »

Ay up Whitehorse, i'm in Yorkshire pal. If you want it I've got a Silva Ranger S you can have for nowt because i'm a nice chap. Check it out first & see if you think it's suitable for you & if so we can meet up & you can have it. It's 100% unblemished as I bought it as a backup to check against my main compass which is an Expedition 4 Militaire & there is nothing wrong with the Ranger S but it's got a sighting mirror on it which I find a pain to keep opening & closing even though you can read the North pointer upside down off the mirror perfectly fine.

I'm not trying to do it down at all, it's a perfectly fine compass but I'm getting another baseplate model for my backup so if you're interested message me & I'll forward you my phone number. I'm in South Yorks but travelling is not a problem.

I'll drop it off to you if you haven't got transport. I can't abide knowing a man hasn't got a compass.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:58:48, 07/02/18 »
I can't abide knowing a man hasn't got a compass.

You may want to change your mind about your very kind offer.

Whitehorse is a woman  ;)  :D
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:21:53, 07/02/18 »
And lives quite a way from Yorkshire  O0
Where there's a will ...

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #6 on: 08:13:30, 07/02/18 »
Sports Pursuit have a really good deal on the Silva Expedition Compass.

This is the compass that usually sells for £45, but I think that Silva must have updated it and so Sports Pursuit are now selling the old model for £14.99.   I've just bought two of them, to replace my Silva Expedition 4 compass.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/892672

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:29:31, 07/02/18 »
And lives quite a way from Yorkshire  O0

Sussamb, I think you are thinking of Whitehorse Walker  ;D

Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:33:08, 07/02/18 »

« Last Edit: 09:22:37, 07/02/18 by bricam2096 »
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:10:14, 07/02/18 »

Cold here. Brains not working as well as normal  ;D
Where there's a will ...

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #10 on: 10:43:26, 07/02/18 »

April & sussamb thanks for the update.

Apologies forwarded to you whitehorse if you are woman, female, lady. it's sometimes difficult to tell with names like Whitehorse although I do often call women mate. Just a figure of speech although I don't mean to annoy anybody if I have done..

Maybe I also read the whole thing completely incorrectly & whitehorse also isn't in Yorkshire in which case my excuse is my brain isn't working properly either because of the cold.

If I hear back then whitehorse there is a free compass Silva Ranger S for you. In a box. Free delivery within 75 of South Yorks & if you're further away i'll meet you half way.

And if I don't hear from Whitehorse there is a Silva Ranger S compass going free, brand new condition in a box for any of you good walking folk who might want a new compass for nowt.

Just trying to do somebody a favour & I don't see why it should always be about money. The equipment is too expensive as it is.

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #11 on: 10:47:42, 07/02/18 »

Free delivery within 75 miles, to clarify. I missed off miles. Cold brain syndrome again.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:06:57, 07/02/18 »
Pilgrim you didn't cause any annoyance, only amusement  :)

Whitehorse is listed as female and from Yorkshire on her profile. You may find a good home for your compass and it is a very kind offer  O0
Hate will never win

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:01:06, 07/02/18 »

Sports Pursuit have a really good deal on the Silva Expedition Compass.

This is the compass that usually sells for £45, but I think that Silva must have updated it and so Sports Pursuit are now selling the old model for £14.99.   I've just bought two of them, to replace my Silva Expedition 4 compass.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/892672

Great find there Lakeland Lorry, I've also just ordered 2. What a bargain!! Cheers O0

whitehorse

« Reply #14 on: 22:41:00, 08/02/18 »

Many thanks for the replies!

And sorry for the confusion with usernames....I didn't realise there was a Whitehorse walker when I registered! I might bump into her one day when I finally do my ridgeway walk :-)

Pilgrim, many thanks for your offer, that's very generous of you. However I did see Lakeland lorry's fantastic weblink and the huge discount on the compass so have ordered one on there, plus a pair of very cheap walking trousers. Bargain website :-D 

But thank you- and I hope that doesn't seem ungrateful. I live about as far north in north Yorkshire as you can get so it probably would have cost a fair bit in fuel. Hope you find a good home for it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy