Author Topic: which model of silva compass should I get?  (Read 4498 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: which model of silva compass should I get?
« Reply #15 on: 09:27:22, 09/02/18 »
Would people mind reporting back on their experience with Sportpursuit  when their compasses arrive.
It looks a good site and they have things which I may be interested in but I am always a bit dubious of sites which have hundreds of products but don't have an address.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #16 on: 11:31:01, 09/02/18 »
I've had no trouble buying things from Sports Pursuit.   I've bought quite a bit from them over the past year or so, and all have arrived.

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #17 on: 14:45:29, 09/02/18 »

Pilgrim you didn't cause any annoyance, only amusement  :)

Whitehorse is listed as female and from Yorkshire on her profile. You may find a good home for your compass and it is a very kind offer  O0

Thankyou April for the detail, much appreciated. I haven't even looked at any profiles & if I can do somebody a favour I just make the offer & if it gets accepted then great, if not no problem, no hard feelings & exactly as you said it will get a good home somewhere.

I posted an introduction at the end of last year & never looked back at it so I don't know who said hello to me or anything & one day I was looking at some photos by sunnydale & a reply to my intro flashed up from sunnydale & gunwharfman so I sent them both a message saying sorry for the late reply about a month after so they probably think i'm barmy which i'm not. Totally sane. Honest.

Cheers for telling me about the profile thing I didn't even think about it, i'll have a look.

I've got about 100,000 photos & i'd like to put some up so I've had to join that flickr thing so I can put them on here. That's taken me about 10 hours to make an hours progress but i'll get there eventually.

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #18 on: 15:09:31, 09/02/18 »

Many thanks for the replies!

And sorry for the confusion with usernames....I didn't realise there was a Whitehorse walker when I registered! I might bump into her one day when I finally do my ridgeway walk :-)

Pilgrim, many thanks for your offer, that's very generous of you. However I did see Lakeland lorry's fantastic weblink and the huge discount on the compass so have ordered one on there, plus a pair of very cheap walking trousers. Bargain website :-D 

But thank you- and I hope that doesn't seem ungrateful. I live about as far north in north Yorkshire as you can get so it probably would have cost a fair bit in fuel. Hope you find a good home for it.

Hello Whitehorse, found you eventually, glad you got the message & received the offer & i'm very happy you have found what you need. It's not an issue now obviously anyway but the fuel cost would not be a problem for me & should you have taken up the offer i would have been more than happy to drop it off.

I did realise after i posted the message on the forum the British Postal Service also delivers packages as well as letters so that could have been an option.

Whitehorse is a womans name now i look at it. Your parents chose well. If you were a man they'd have called you Sitting Bull or Big Chief Tomahawk or something wouldn't they.

I hope your new compass does you well & you get out there & get marching with it. Enjoy.

Thankyou for the reply Whitehorse.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:53:27, 09/02/18 »
I've had no trouble buying things from Sports Pursuit.   I've bought quite a bit from them over the past year or so, and all have arrived.
Thanks for the reassurance, I'll give them a try.  O0

Addingham

« Reply #20 on: 04:06:53, 10/02/18 »

I've decided it's about time I bought myself a decent compass (i.e. not the sort you'd get in a cracker which is what my current one is a bit like!) and re-learn how to use it. Since I've lived in Yorkshire I've got lazy as there's generally a stone wall or other feature to navigate by, and I haven't done much open fell walking.

Can anyone please recommend one? I'm happy to pay more if there are going to be features I'd use, but it's pointless wasting money if one of the more basic models would do.

Basically, I just need one that I can use to get me off the moor in the right direction in the fog, and that sort of thing.

Many thanks  :)

Any quality compass should be fine. not just Silva. ;D

What does a compass actually do except point MN in the N Hemisphere. ???

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:25:41, 10/02/18 »
Well, My compass arrived  today in good order as advertised. It also came with a geographical return address.  O0

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:59:36, 11/02/18 »
What does a compass actually do except point MN ...

Quite a few uses spring to mind including:
* setting the map
* studying map detail with the magnifying glass
* using as a protractor
* measuring distances on the ground from a map (using various Romer scales)
* measuring on a map at same scale (using the mm scale)
* confirming which direction you are travelling
* telling what direction an object is from your position
* helping you to walk in straight line

;)
Skip

Jim Parkin

« Reply #23 on: 13:32:21, 11/02/18 »
* setting the map
* using as a protractor

;)

Yes, but apart from helping with navigation? 

I suppose you could try to start a fire with the magnifying glass if it was sunny  O0

Addingham

« Reply #24 on: 16:12:00, 11/02/18 »
* setting the map
* using as a protractor

;)

And only Silva compasses do this? ::)  As to measuring distance on the ground and the rest you need a MAP not just a compass. I can walk in a straight line except when sloshed. :P

Jim Parkin

« Reply #25 on: 16:24:35, 11/02/18 »

And only Silva compasses do this? ::)  As to measuring distance on the ground and the rest you need a MAP not just a compass. I can walk in a straight line except when sloshed. :P

Well if you want to take bearings or walk on bearings, then you need some type of protractor for reasonable accuracy.  And the definition of reasonable depends on the use.  For seeing whether you should turn left or right on a path, then it's probably overkill. 

If you want to locate yourself on the map without GPS, and you can see landmarks, but are not near them yourself, then a baseplate compass is probably a good idea.  You could use a prismatic compass, but often they are slower to use. 

I admit that I did get a Recta compass instead of a Silva one as my main compass, but it's equivalent - I find the mirror useful as a mirror and it folds out longer than a normal baseplate compass, but most of the time I use it as a baseplate compass. 

As for the "walking in a straight line unless sloshed" bit.  Are you sure?  What about in fog over rough ground? 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:42:43, 11/02/18 »
My compass is just a fashion accessory I have dangling from my rucksack.

... didn't know I can do all that other stuff with it as well  ;)

(maybe I can't.  It's not a Silva compass  :-\     ::)  )  

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:16:35, 11/02/18 »
My compass is just a fashion accessory I have dangling from my rucksack.

;D   Touché

And Jim's right about the magnifier - on a sunny day you can boil a small kettle.
Skip

Maggot

« Reply #28 on: 12:38:33, 26/02/18 »
Sports Pursuit have a really good deal on the Silva Expedition Compass.

This is the compass that usually sells for £45, but I think that Silva must have updated it and so Sports Pursuit are now selling the old model for £14.99.   I've just bought two of them, to replace my Silva Expedition 4 compass.

Excellent spot there LL.  I nearly got a new one at an orienteering event recently but came over all weird at the thought of spending £39.99, which was considered 'quite cheap' by one friend!

Anyway, the deal ends in about 11 hours, so my order was just in time!
« Last Edit: 13:14:21, 26/02/18 by Maggot »

coby

« Reply #29 on: 21:33:12, 26/02/18 »
Sports Pursuit have a really good deal on the Silva Expedition Compass.

This is the compass that usually sells for £45, but I think that Silva must have updated it and so Sports Pursuit are now selling the old model for £14.99.   I've just bought two of them, to replace my Silva Expedition 4 compass.

[/quote

Well spotted what a bargain  O0  i just bough one. Glad i joined this forum very useful info.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy