Author Topic: Sleeping bags; small yet tolerates low temps?  (Read 1974 times)

steffan.j

Sleeping bags; small yet tolerates low temps?
« on: 12:04:15, 11/12/07 »
Dear All,

I understand this is primarily a hiking forum, but I'm sure that some of you will also be 'campers' who may be able to assist me with this please:

I'm looking for a sleeping bag that compresses really small for backpacking, yet can tolerate quite low temperatures; i.e. extreme levels of -10 celsuis, or lower.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Steffan.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping bags; small yet tolerates low temps?
« Reply #1 on: 21:17:16, 11/12/07 »
I would say that a down sleeping bag compresses most, as well as being lighter in weight than a synthetic (i.e. with a fill of man-made fibre) one of a similar temperature rating.  You need to be aware that with down you mustn't let it get wet, or it will lose it's insulation properties, as well as take ages and ages to dry, whereas a synthetic will still keep you warm and will dry fast.

However, I haven't kept an eye on the current market, and for all I know there might have been some super technological advancements made to synthetic bags in terms of bulk and temperature rating, so I am just as keen as you to see what other forum members suggest.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:25:14, 11/12/07 »
Steffan.j ...let me know how much you had in mind as to what you want to spend as i can mention many really good bags that pack small and have good temp ratings in minus zero  weather but they aint cheap thats for sure but there are loads out there if you dont mind spending a few £100 pounds plus i'll tell you where to buy them from too, anyway let me know and welcome to this forum pal.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

steffan.j

« Reply #3 on: 22:48:17, 11/12/07 »
Thanks a lot for the very swift replies, and for the welcome, much appreciated!  :)

Right, to be honest I was looking to find something that would retail at about £80-£120 then do some searching to source them cheaper - well, that's the plan anyway!

I currently have a coleman sleeping bag which comprsses really small, but the extreme range is only about -2 celsius.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Steffan.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:34:38, 12/12/07 »
Welcome to the forum, its good that you are here  O0

I use a cummulus, think i spelt it correct, anyway they can go down to what your looking for and they pack away smaller than anything i have seen before ( so small you could stick it in your pocket).

Adapt Outdoors in Liverpool stock them and if you mention, me, i think you get discount (Well not me but me and the walking for life, web site  O0. Hope it helps
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

steffan.j

« Reply #5 on: 22:39:49, 12/12/07 »
Thanks a lot for the help, the cumulus bags look awesome!! Just the ticket! thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated. Also, thanks for noting about the discount route, that will definitely come in handy.

Thanks once again.

Steffan.

g7vgg

« Reply #6 on: 23:27:41, 07/01/08 »
Hi Steffan...Sounds like you need an Army "58 pattern" sleeping bag...Its probably the warmest sleeping bag ever supplied by the British Army...Down filled, it goes down to -12 for comfort rating or a maximum of -20.
It has a waterproof bottom and outer hood, rolls up quickly and conveniently folds up into the outer hood, which has its own carrying handle so there is no need for a stuff bag.
I currently have two of them for sale....They are not brand new, but they are in perfect condition (very clean, with no rips or tears at all).
I dont know how tall you are but the two I'm selling are standard/normal size, which suits people up to about 5'6"...I have seen used ones selling for about £60 on ebay as they are very sought after, but I only want £25 each for either of them as I need to sell them quickly. 
Please let me know if your interested.
Thanks.
Alf.   
« Last Edit: 01:41:53, 08/01/08 by g7vgg »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy