Author Topic: Paramo Helki wetting out  (Read 7363 times)

nesty

Re: Paramo Helki wetting out
« Reply #15 on: 12:28:55, 17/07/17 »
I can understand that with the rucksack pressing on, water might come in. Though the inner sleeves were also soaked.

This morning I had a email from paramo in regard to the photos. They said it shouldn't be happening.
They going to send me free TX Direct & tech wash free of charge, (I haven't got any yet,so saves me £15-20 there)! They said wash both products in. If that doesn't solve it I can return under my registered warrenty.

Can't say fairer then that.

I do run very hot & on both days these were hills climbs. Just wonder whilst the pump liner started to wick moisture away. It then was subjected to heavy wind & rain. Only so much a pump liner can do!

I'll wash the products paramo  provide in and take it from there!

nesty

« Reply #16 on: 12:41:59, 17/07/17 »
It's difficult to tell for certain but I would agree that it does look like it and was possibly not helped if nesty was wearing his new Montane Cobra 25 rucksack which doesn't have a definite air gap between the harness and the sack which would allow room for a lot of that moisture build up to escape more easily.

A walk in similar wet and windy conditions without the rucksack will show if the rucksack is a contributing factor to the moisture build up or not.

If it turns out that it is the Berghaus Freeflow 25, the Lowe Alpine AirZone Trail 25 or other similar rucksack with an air gap may be worth looking into.

Thanks for the instructions kinkyboots.

I was wearing my new Montane rucksack. It's a great rucksack I like it. However on the first day of wearing it on a summer day (no jacket). I could feel the lack of breathablity (compared with my former OEX 28 vallo), which had suspension airgap mounting. I did think would a paramo have issue with this?

Another thing I have just discovered going through my washing. On the day (the first torrential wind and rain downpour one) I must of worn a 100% cotton shirt. This also could of contributed to working the pump liner too hard ( I normally wear wicking base layers). Also it might of really impacted on the pump liner performance for the 2nd downpour heavy spray rain day I wore it.

So there is a couple of things I need to look at before condemning the jacket! 

Many thanks for the information all. Really do like this forum. I'll try and load some photos up when I can of the actual walks in the Mendips! 

Pitboot

« Reply #17 on: 22:16:38, 18/07/17 »
I would echo the previous comment about the pattern of moisture suggesting condensation/sweat not escaping. I also have a Cobra sack and it causes similar moisture build up that you would encounter in any jacket, the water is restricted as to where it can go.

As an aside, some years ago I worked for a good outdoor clothing retailer, I sold a top end breathable mountain jacket to a lady who returned it the next day because she said it was not waterproof. She had been up Scafell the same day. It had not even rained that day. We asked a few questions before we gave her a full refund, seems she wore a cotton tee shirt for the last few hundred metres with the jacket zipped up , and she felt wet when she got to the top. It was a case of "the customer is always right", but it made me a bit sick to refund her money.

nesty

« Reply #18 on: 22:44:34, 18/07/17 »
I like paramo as I can just wear a Tee underneath and the jacket feel smooth to wear etc.

However I do admit as said the first day of bad wind/ rain I mistaken wore a cotton Tee. I was probably sweated through by the time I got to the top of the hill. The pump was probably working and then the wind and rain comes in. I may of been pushing it too far.

I also have a paramo Cascada jacket as well. Though I didn't take that to the mendips with me. I found that to be all ok so far local walking, but I've never worn a rucksack with the Cascada, as it's more my walking into town jacket etc.   

I think the Helki just needs re-proofing and I'll take it from there and keep the Paramo faith! 

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:09:13, 19/07/17 »
I like paramo as I can just wear a Tee underneath and the jacket feel smooth to wear etc.

However I do admit as said the first day of bad wind/ rain I mistaken wore a cotton Tee. I was probably sweated through by the time I got to the top of the hill. The pump was probably working and then the wind and rain comes in. I may of been pushing it too far.

I also have a paramo Cascada jacket as well. Though I didn't take that to the mendips with me. I found that to be all ok so far local walking, but I've never worn a rucksack with the Cascada, as it's more my walking into town jacket etc.   

I think the Helki just needs re-proofing and I'll take it from there and keep the Paramo faith!

You're most likely won't have problem to same degree ever again, certainly wearing the cotton tee shirt would have completely "sabotaged" the breathabilty of the whole ensemble, cotton retains a lot of sweat.

nesty

« Reply #20 on: 16:51:39, 27/10/17 »
Sorry to re-hash this thread. Though thought I'd give a final update here with the Helki.
If people have the same issue with Paramo, just some simple points might make the difference.

In the Mendips, I had a terrible time with the helki. The jacket was brand new, though it soaked through  generally made me miserable on the trip.

Firstly lesson never wear cotton underneath . If you have one big sweat session, as such, it really can overwhem the inner liner.

I washed TX direct in and tech washed the Hekli. I changed my rucksack. Did away with the Montane Cobra, as directly pressing on my back. Now, have a Lowe Alpine, which has a air flow system.

Done 9 day in the Peak district, some real bad weather. The Helki performed perfectly. I wore nearly all the time and it never leaked though was getting a bit sticky inside towards the end though ::) .

These changes have made a world of difference.

I think sometimes with any Paramo products. These products can be sitting around in the warehouse for ages. I think thats what happened with my jacket. The first time out it was soaked through, but nothing a tech wash didn't sort out. 

With all my Paramo stuff. I am keeping to a schedule of making sure the products are tech washed as per instructions!
« Last Edit: 16:56:47, 27/10/17 by nesty »

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:20:41, 27/10/17 »
Thanks for the update Nesty. Nice to know it has a happy ending
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

nesty

« Reply #22 on: 22:38:34, 27/10/17 »
Thanks for the update Nesty. Nice to know it has a happy ending

A happy dry ending!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:08:53, 29/10/17 »
I have a Alta 2, fine for the winter but for me too hot in the warmer months. I fist noticed that I was wet after I first reproofed it. I've done it again but as yet I haven't used it since on a hike. I tend to just use it to go to the pub at the moment. Nowadays, in the warmer months I prefer the reliability of my Marmot Precip and my Vaude Poncho for keeping 'dry'. I going to replace my Precip because this now leaks around the neck area, but with the with the poncho over the top it still works fine.

nesty

« Reply #24 on: 13:28:59, 29/10/17 »
I have a Alta 2, fine for the winter but for me too hot in the warmer months. I fist noticed that I was wet after I first reproofed it. I've done it again but as yet I haven't used it since on a hike. I tend to just use it to go to the pub at the moment. Nowadays, in the warmer months I prefer the reliability of my Marmot Precip and my Vaude Poncho for keeping 'dry'. I going to replace my Precip because this now leaks around the neck area, but with the with the poncho over the top it still works fine.

Is the Precip Breathable? I have looked at them as a light back up. Tho many of the reviews, I read say not very breathable, which would cause me an issue! 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:28:44, 29/10/17 »
Marmot suggests it is but I don't think so, if it is breathable, I feel sure its only minimal. From the moment I bought it I noticed that if my arms were bare the inside Precip material always felt clammy. I think though, apart from this the Precip has served me well, I use it as a wind protector as well. I do not think I will buy another expensive and layered 'waterproof' jacket but will from now on only look for lightweight single skin type 'waterproof' jackets in the future. After my experiences of hiking I now have a much more confident view of what I like to wear and what works for me. I have also decided that, except for the single skin 'waterproof' jacket, I will no longer purchase anything else with a hood. I find a hat like the Lowe Alpine one with the peak is all that I need. When I use the single skin jacket in the wet or if its windy, the hood just goes over the Lowe Alpine and I feel comfortable.

I haven't decided what my next 'waterproof' jacket will be as yet, but as long as it pairs well with my poncho then I'll be satisfied. For me its all about weight as well, my Alta 2 for example is a bit 'heavy' whereas the Precip is a bit 'light'.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy