Author Topic: Net Pockets  (Read 1796 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Net Pockets
« on: 12:05:06, 26/10/17 »
Not the WWW net but the net curtain type netting pockets.

My walking trousers all have webbing/netting type pockets which have been annoyed me for a while. My keys etcetera or anything clicky gets stuck in them to the extent where I shredded quite a few of them, mostly the ones with my keys in. Mrs Jimbob came up with an idea which I have to say suits me,

She cut off the bottom part of the pocket, took one of my thinnest dry-bags, and using some dry bag material sewed in a new pocket, which is a bit deeper than the previous ones.  They are still aerated at the top (via the netting),  are deeper and hold my keys much more securely.

I think the drybag cost me about £3.00, so far three pockets completed and passed my rigourous car key test, with material enough to do three more.

Currently she is working on an Lidl rucksack which I bought a couple of weeks ago, will post up my findings and the solutions to my negatives after she is finished and I have given it a good try. So far I am impressed by the bag. (An Air Streamsys)
Too little, too late, too bad......

tenmilesplus

Re: Net Pockets
« Reply #1 on: 20:26:26, 26/10/17 »
Sounds like a great idea, mend and make do is the catch phrase of the day afteral.. I am in the same frame of mind, I prefer to 'personalise' or repair than buy new.. That's not to say I look like Compo when I go walking.. lol   :)
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:14:06, 27/10/17 »
Why not just put your keys IN the dry bag?
Not all those who wander are lost

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:17:31, 27/10/17 »
Strider   "Why not just put your keys IN the dry bag?"
Sounds too easy , Sir.

But mainly the pockets get shredded with everything in my case, not just keys.  I once ripped a snaggy fingernail getting a tissue out of my net pocket, quite painful! I find those net pockets to be absolutely useless as pockets, however as stated the fix suits me, Sir.

I am sure you have fixes that suit you personally that other people are also cynical about.

However the sharing of ideas, however silly to one person may spark an even better idea in the mind of other, better people than us.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:30:02, 27/10/17 »

However the sharing of ideas, however silly to one person may spark an even better idea in the mind of other, better people than us.

Totally agree. Rather than use a dry bag I would think any thin material would do. I have a lot of left over remnants from when I used to do dressmaking and you used to be able to buy small remnants from dress making shops which might be cheaper than a dry bag.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:24:39, 27/10/17 »
.... sewed in a new pocket, which is a bit deeper than the previous ones....

Deep pockets.... Good effort... we'll mek a yorksherman o' yer yet.

Now you just need to work on shortening them arms  :D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:27:13, 28/10/17 »
Ha Mel.

I am reputedly from the Gibbon branch of the evolutionary tree arm wise but being a true Northerner find that I have a liking for brass to stay within my tight grasp.

I find no need to aspire to any soft southern Yorkshire extravagance.
 ;)

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:59:57, 28/10/17 »
Sounds too easy , Sir.

You're welcome, Ma'am.

Personally, I don't like to keep keys etc. in trouser pockets, too much chance of them falling out.  I use a little plastic tub (which I think held antiseptic wipes originally), put the keys in that and pop them in the rucksack inner pocket.
Not all those who wander are lost

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:51:54, 28/10/17 »
Ooh er missus Strider
I do a lot of walks where pubs and tea rooms are abundant and therefore avoid carrying a rucksack. So unable to implement your perfectly sensible idea as it does not apply in all circumstances.

Regards

Mr. Jimbob

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:45:11, 28/10/17 »
....being a true Northerner find that I have a liking for brass to stay within my tight grasp.

:D     ;D     O0

Back on topic though, I have a little "G" clip type thing on my keyring which I fasten to a belt loop (if I'm sans rucksack) or it clips onto a loop in my rucksack.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 01:09:45, 29/10/17 »
Thanks for that Mel. Makes a lot of sense to do that. However my pockets were already snagged,  holed and torn. Not just because of keys but anything that could snag, has snagged.

My pockets are now fine, larger  and stronger now. And other readers, as well as myself, have picked up some solid alternative ideas from you and others. O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:17:16, 30/10/17 »
You could start a new fashion trend jimbob.... snazzy silk lined pockets perhaps?  A nice contrasting drybag -v- trouser material look maybe?  A multi-pocketed pocket even?  :D

I'll let you into a guilty little secret now... I have sown a secret pocket into my work trousers....just the right size to hide my e-cig in  ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 01:05:04, 31/10/17 »
Hi Mel.  Looks like LOSTME1 got there before us. Seems like I'm not the only one to patch up torn pockets. However today Mrs Joimbob bought me a piar of Craghopper Kiwi Classics which have proper solid pockets, though there seem to be too many of them. I will have to resist all temptations to stuff them full of rubbish.

Tut Tut about the e-cig. I gave up cold turkey years ago, so can now be one of those dreadful know it all about how easy it is to give up sods.  ( Actually I had the most horrific problems, I was happy I got nicotine addiction rather than a class A drug addiction , it really opened my eyes to the struggles of the poor sods who get latched into the wrong stuff.)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy