Author Topic: Land's End-Sennen Cove-Return  (Read 3184 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Land's End-Sennen Cove-Return
« on: 20:09:32, 07/06/20 »

Land’s End-Sennen Cove-Return

Almost Linear Route from Land’s End to Sennen Cove and back
Distance: 4.8 km [3 miles]
Duration walking: 1 hour 10 minutes.
Total Time: 1Hour 45 minutes
Difficulty: Moderate
Date: June 5th 2020
Start Temperature: 13°C End Temperature 15°C

Land’s End is the first, or last, place in Cornwall, depending on how you want to look at it.  I consider it the last place as sunset is about 20 minutes after Greenwich.
Many people tell me that ‘it is not as good as it used to be’.  Well I have been going there since I was a kid and I have no idea what they are talking about.  Not really changed that much, has a few more shops, places to eat, better car parking and clean toilets.  So better in my opinion.
Regarding the car parking charges, half the money raised goes to the upkeep of the 7 miles of coast path that Land’s End manages, and that includes medical first responders.  But if you are a ‘local’ you can get a free pass that last a couple of years.

The Route

After following the A30 to the bitter end and parking up, I walked around the back of the Visitor Centre and other out buildings to the front of the Hotel.
Here there is a Trig Point, which I had mentioned in another post that there is not another one until Newfoundland, Canada.  Someone pointed there are some in Ireland.  So due West from this Trig point is Newfloundland, Ireland is to the North West.

Just for a change, I have shown pictures of Cornwall with its usual weather, cloudy and windy, and not too warm for June.

The first place of interest to walkers is the sign post.  As we are still in lockdown this is closed, but they had also removed the usual New Your and John o’ Groats distances.  So you can now photoshop in your own milages.

Many famous people have been here, and if you go into the bar at the hotel, there is a wall of shame, including a naked cyclist.
A couple of hundred metres from the hotel is The First and Last, again closed, but does offer good views to the East along the North Cornish Coast.

This is where the ‘turn’ of the SWCP is.
Well signposted as usual.

The first part of the path is recently renovated and makes walking so easy.

But as usual, it does not last long.

On the way at Gamper Bay is the remains of the MV RMS Mulheim, which ran aground when the Chief Officer caught his trousers on his chair, fell over, and knocked himself out.

Image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_RMS_Mulheim

There is not much of it left now after 17 years.

As I had deviated from the roped off part of the SWCP, there was the opportunity to spot some wild life.

And one of these hiding in the flowers.  I saw one, there are hundreds of rabbits around here.

Climbing back up to the SWCP proper, the day is still overcast, and windy.

By now, there are glimpses of Sennen Cove, it really is not far, but at Pedn-mên-du there is the old Coast Guard Lookout.  There is also good rock climbing here, and it is possible to get down to the base without abseiling, just watch the tide times and not in storm, or when a large swell is on.

From here it is all downhill into the village.
But more plants on the way.

From the top of the stairs, there is a good view.

Then there is an odd sight for down here, a thatched cottage [there are several, but not common at all].

And oddly named houses.

Then there is the cove proper.

With another, slightly wind damaged, sign encouraging you to walk further.

And the old winch house that is now an art gallery.

With the new RNLI Lifeboat Station in front of it.

At the very end of the village, after the surf club and car park, there is a cafe that is currently doing takeaways.
I found a spot out of the wind and had a coffee.

The walk back was a lot quicker as I was not taking many pictures.  The sun had come out, but the wind picked up a bit more.
Rather than just follow the last part of the SWCP, I deviated off to take a picture of this.

I forget that there is a small model village at Land’s End.

Then I was back at the car park.

Was a nice way to do an easy 3 miles when one is short of time.
« Last Edit: 20:13:52, 07/06/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Land's End-Sennen Cove-Return
« Reply #1 on: 09:11:31, 08/06/20 »
An interesting walk report and pics.  O0
It''s good to see things of local interest in unfamiliar areas.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:30:42, 08/06/20 »
Sorry, I can't agree that Land's end is as good or even better than it was. That last picture pretty much says it all.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:02:45, 08/06/20 »
Sorry, I can't agree that Land's end is as good or even better than it was. That last picture pretty much says it all.
Land's End is, in the mind of many, still suffering from Peter Dr Savary's vision for the place. He sold up nearly 30 years ago without changing the place much at all.
Apart from one building, the place really has not changed. Many of the empty buildings have been brought back into seasonal use.
Things never stay the same.
I am currently sitting at the base of the Slipway in Penzance. Behind me there are some 'new' flats. They have only been here about 35 years. I cannot remember what was here before.
Memory is easily fooled.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:53:46, 08/06/20 »
I remember it from 1960s, well before Peter de Savary bought it and though the National Trust are by no means perfect I think it's regrettable that they were outbid.

Though the hotel, cottage and signpost were there it retained an atmosphere of exposure to the elements, a feeling of being almost at the end of the world with only the rough ocean beyond.

Entrance wasn't through a pseudo classical portico into a world of artificial entertainment.  'Build a car park and they will come', and come they did, in droves - resulting in horrendous damage to the delicate soil and plants. Charge them (if only for parking) and they will think they are getting something worth being charged for even though it's the sort of something unconnected to the place.

No, sorry, but in this instance my memory is most definitely not fooled and for me the change is a sad one.
« Last Edit: 13:10:22, 08/06/20 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:07:20, 08/06/20 »
Interesting walk - looks like a lovely bit of coast.

We camped at various spots around Cornwall on our honeymoon (ahem) almost 25 years ago, but never visited Lands End - it looks somewhat more appealing than John O'Groats, which I always feel must be a huge let down for LEJOGgers.

PS - there was a house called 'The Rocket Hoose' close to where I used to live in Orkney.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:08:07, 08/06/20 »
John O'Groats, which I always feel must be a huge let down for LEJOGgers.
I must admit I couldn't really care less what it looked like although I had a rare sense of pride walking in with my rucksack on my back with onlookers arriving there in their cars.

One F

« Reply #7 on: 14:43:19, 08/06/20 »
Another memory jerking TR, so many thanks for posting both the TR and the photos and taking me down memory lane.

I was lucky enough to live and work just outside Penzance in 1970 and on my days off would catch the bus for a day out. Favourite spot was Sennen Cove where I would explore the coastal path in the area. Walked to Lands End and back many, many times, some days being burned almost to a cinder and on others almost blown away or drowned. Went back many times with the kids when they were young and about 15 years ago spent 4 days walking from Zennor to Kennack Sands. Sennen Cove was the finish of Day 1 and on a gloriously warm summers late afternoon I walked across Whitesands Bay, boots and socks in hand, letting the sea wash over my feet and legs. When I reached the civilised end of Sennen Cove, it was off with the shirt, dumped the bag on the sand and staggered into the surf for a refreshing soak.
« Last Edit: 14:52:15, 08/06/20 by One F »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:44:37, 08/06/20 »
I must admit I couldn't really care less what it looked like although I had a rare sense of pride walking in with my rucksack on my back with onlookers arriving there in their cars.

I can appreciate that!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:39:33, 08/06/20 »

Read this at 2am this morning after I'd realised that it's a bit pointless looking at Live Osprey Cam at that time  ;D

My goodness!  There's not a lot left of that ship now is there?  :o

... I still wanna swim in that sea  ;)  (waits with baited breath for next tale of swimming doom  :P  )

Lovely pics though.  It's got me hankering after a coastal walk  O0

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:05:18, 08/06/20 »
... I still wanna swim in that sea  ;)  (waits with baited breath for next tale of swimming doom  :P  )

Lovely pics though.  It's got me hankering after a coastal walk  O0
Want to hear about the school kids that got washed away back in the mid 1980's.

I have just got back from another coastal walk, shall see if I can do a write up tonight, but cooking myself some supper at the moment.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy