Author Topic: Glenfinnan to Inverie? and onwards  (Read 7877 times)

Old_Bill

Glenfinnan to Inverie? and onwards
« on: 13:21:32, 07/01/12 »
Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of some walking / wild-camping in Knoydart - probably in early May, and was thinking about starting at Glenfinnan to Sourlies, then over a munro - or perhaps 2 - and then down into town. I'm Any thoughts on routes or general advice? Would this be 3 days, or could it done in 2? (for an averagely-fit youngish LDWer).
Then after a night or two in the pub, maybe a other couple of days back out in the hills somewhere?

Then I'd thought about getting a boat to Trebart and walking to back to Mallaig or Morar, before getting the Jacobite back to FW and home.

I'm not familiar with area at all, and other than gazing at maps and reading web stuff such as Phil 'kirbstones' blog -  haven't even started to do any planning as yet.

So I'd really welcome any thoughts, opinions or advice!

Cheers all!
Bill.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
Re: Glenfinnan to Inverie? and onwards
« Reply #1 on: 14:39:52, 07/01/12 »
Really quite jealous sounds like a great walk. 

I know virtually none of your route but have spent 3 or 4 days in Knoydart.  In to Inverie by boat from Mallaig, walked up the glen to approx NG848 014.  Then used that as a base for 2 walks to do the Munroes.  1st. Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn.  2nd. Stob a Chearcaill onto Ladhar Bheinn then down to Barrisdale and back over Mam Barrisdale.  Walk out up Glen Barrisdale and over Sgurr nan Eugallt to the road where we got picked up.

I didn't really spend much time in Inverie but unless it's changed a lot I wouldn't want to spend more than 1 night there pub or not!

Old_Bill

« Reply #2 on: 14:45:54, 07/01/12 »
Thanks Wurz - i'll a look check your routes out.

And i can well believe you about Inverie! It's more for the chance of a bath, and stock up with tasty camp-food! And to dry out if need be.
Is there a half-decent shop there by the way?

ob

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:37:29, 07/01/12 »
Sourlies will be busy 11th/12th May with TGO Challengers starting at Mallaig and taking Bruce Watt's ferry to Inverie.  But you can camp outside if its full.
Glenfinnan to Inverie would be a smashing walk which could be done in 2 days, but would be more fun in 3, specially if you wanted to bag some hills on the way. A low level route would go via Corryhully (electric kettle in here!), Glen Pean , Glen Dessary , Sourlies and Gleann Meadail. There's plenty of camping spots, but the area is a lot less crowded than you'd imagine - everybody and his dog seems to go there for the peace and quiet.
Presumably you meant Tarbert...  There's a reasonable path on the North shore of Loch Morar. But further East, the lochside is difficult to follow.
The TGO challenge starts on the 11th and people will be starting from Mallaig and Morar on the 11th, 12 and 13th May - so if you choose these dates, there'll be lots of people coming the other way.
Note that the two occasions I've started walking East from Inverie in early May, the weather has been pretty ropey with high winds and wet snow.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Old_Bill

« Reply #4 on: 16:12:26, 09/01/12 »
Great stuff - thanks chaps. So glad i checked it out, i was getting no joy on the coast-to-coast 'other walks' forum!

Good TGO challenge tip-off Mike. I'd planned it then so I could get the steamer back from Mallaig to FW (it starts on May 14th) but early enough to hopefully avoid the midgies. Are they particularly bad round there in May? I guessing later May won't make much difference. I much rather go when the Olympics are on, but they'll be at their bitey-worse then :-( worse than Seb Coe!  ;D

I think what i may try as approx daily start/finish points is: Glefinnan -> Sourlies, Sourlies -> Ladhar Bheinn, Ladhar Bheinn -> Inverie. Hopefully that'll make 3 shortish days that are easily re-arranged if the weather turns nasty or I get some ridges & hills and in if it's nice.

Are the Sbeilings worth seeing? (ie. what are they?)

Yes, sorry i meant Tarbert. Is the coastal route back to Mallaig goer at all? (depending on time of ferry...) The loch path to Morar sounds good - but this is just really a pretty way of getting back to Mallaig. Although i might head off to an island if time allows... who knows!

Cheers,
OB

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:20:08, 09/01/12 »
There's no midgies in early May. The most annoying thing is the cuckoos... they just go on and on and on and on.....

The shielings are the remains of temporary summer camps where the women and children went during the summer with the cattle whilst the men went off labouring or fishing or whatever. As they were rebuilt every year, there's usually only the outlines of the walls, so not much to see. They can be quite atmospheric on a still, moonlit night with the stream singing and the wildlife doing spooky noises, though....   you may still hear the children laughing ans singing by the burn......

The coastal route from Tarbert to Mallaig would be extremely rough and time-consuming. The Loch Morar path is much better. Bruce Watt's ferry goes from Inverie to Tarbert to Mallaig and is the easiest option if you've had enough.

The beer and scoff at the Forge Inn is worth all the effort by the way.

Old_Bill

« Reply #6 on: 19:05:10, 09/01/12 »
Ah! sHielings! not sBielings! no wonder Google knew nothing about them. The OS Gothic font becomes more difficult to read as the years go on  :)
But the singing ghosts of bairns?? Sounds like a must!

I have been looking at the ferries too - is Bruce Watt's the only one or are there others?

I'm looking forward to the Forge Inn already!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:41:09, 09/01/12 »
I only know of Bruce Watt - there was another company doing freight and I understand that there are boatmen who will take you across privately, but they're likely to be expensive. I believe Watts is a daily service, so if you miss it.......
But you'll have a blast. Enjoy. Don't get wet!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:02:24, 09/01/12 »

Incidentally, to get to Inverie from Sourlies, first you may have to paddle or swim around a short headland or scramble over the top, then across a sloppy bog, then over a wobbly bridge with danger signs and over the bealach into the glen....  

All good, clean fun, though.  

Old_Bill

« Reply #9 on: 12:01:45, 10/01/12 »
That's the kind of fun i like!

The Shielings look interesting - might be worth a look.

Right, best start planning - thanks for the help. I'm sure i'll think of more to ask once a rough route comes together. if indeed one ever does!

cheer,
OB

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:40:20, 14/01/12 »
dont know that area, but in the last photo, that old building could be a great bothy
you have 1 life live it

Old_Bill

« Reply #11 on: 22:24:58, 03/02/12 »
Ok, so the planning is coming on. Hopefully mainly up & down ridges until the Forge is reached! More or less.
But i've got a couple of questions... that i could probably Google. But i prefer to pester other humans :-)

How well stocked is the shop in Inverie? Will i be able to stock up on enough provisions for a couple more days' camping?
I'm assuming there's plenty of running water in the Knoydart area? (i think i know the answer to that one! always best to ask though...)
And I've never done wild-camping before, but the only thing i can't quite figure out is the best method of washing-up! I was thinking perhaps a good rinse and then a wipe with some of those Dettol wipe-things? I've no intention of taking brillo pads and fairy liquid! Any tips folks?

Cheers.

Old_Bill

« Reply #12 on: 22:26:50, 03/02/12 »
oh - one more.

Should the weather turn in, I know there's bothies at Sourlies and Barrisdale - are there any others dotted around that i should know about?

ta!

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:45:58, 08/02/12 »
Hi Bill,
You can buy  provisions in Inverie but it's best to have a flexible menu plan, or bring with you what you need!
 Finding water is not usually a problem in the highlands, and it's relatively free from bugs such as giardia etc. The main contaminants tend to be other campers with poor water hygiene.

Sourlies and Barrisdale can get stupidly busy. As Mike says everyone and his dog goes to Knoydart for a wilderness experience so it can sometimes feel rather suburban. Yes there are other bothies in the area - in Glen Pean, Glen Dessary, and Oban at the head of Loch Morar for instance. They can also get busy. If you're planning to make directly from Glenfinnan to Sourlies be aware that it's quite a demanding day - cutting across the grain of the terrain with much rough ground and a lot of up and down!

Washing up? Fine gravel from the stream bed, sand, or a heather pan scrub, and a good rinse usually does the trick. Make sure you use a biodegradable soap and dispose of waste water carefully though.

[rant mode on]Knoydart like many popular camping areas suffers from an overload of used loo roll. your average quilted 2-ply takes a ridiculously long time to disappear, I have to spend the summer wading through the stuff, so please make sure you burn it or pack it out rather than bung it under a stone ;) . Absolutely worst for this are wet wipes![rant mode off]

Getting the boat to Tarbert and walking out along Loch Morar is a good option, very scenic and quite gentle. East of Tarbert the shore of Loch Nevis is pretty full-on and trackless.

Be aware there are lots of deer ticks in Knoydart. There is a small incidence of Lyme's disease with infected tick bites, although allegedly it's usually later in the summer that the risk of lyme's is highest (don't ask me why - something to do with the life cycle of the tick)

Watch out for TitaniumDude, he has a habit of chasing deer around stark naked in the middle of the night around here.

After all that, have fun Bill, it's a grand place!!
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Old_Bill

« Reply #14 on: 20:24:23, 09/02/12 »
Hi Ian

Ta muchly for info - very helpful! especially re: the washing up. Heather, water and elbow grease i think i'll go for.

The bothies are only going to be an emergency last resort should the weather suddenly turn really nasty - otherwise i plan to go no where near them!
And once in Inverie i think i'll plan the next few days around whatever provisions i find there.

My only plan really is to get from Glenfinnan to Inverie in 3 days /  2 nights, so it's pretty fluid. I'll work some sort of route nearer the time though.

And thanks for the tick tip - i hadn't thought of that. I'll had one of those little plastic tick removers to my check list.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm feeling fairly prepared now... so now i'm just waiting for a cheap deal on the Cally Sleeper!

Cheers all.
OB

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy