Author Topic: Winter temperatures on Ben Nevis  (Read 12037 times)

thisismusic

Winter temperatures on Ben Nevis
« on: 23:17:44, 08/12/09 »
I've been doing a bit of googling to try and find out what kind of temperatures to expect on Ben Nevis overnight during winter, but no luck! I am hoping to go up in January and overnight on the mountain. Obviously I want to make sure I'm going up with adequate gear for doing that, and I could do with a best and worst case scenario when it comes to temperatures. I'm hoping someone here can set me straight!

Thanks for your help.
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

ButlersKeeper

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter temperatures on Ben Nevis
« Reply #1 on: 23:25:29, 08/12/09 »
I've been doing a bit of googling to try and find out what kind of temperatures to expect on Ben Nevis overnight during winter, but no luck! I am hoping to go up in January and overnight on the mountain. Obviously I want to make sure I'm going up with adequate gear for doing that, and I could do with a best and worst case scenario when it comes to temperatures. I'm hoping someone here can set me straight!

Thanks for your help.

VERY cold. probably even colder. :D   ;D 

Have you done much wild camping?  What kit do you have already?

Try looking here for some info.

thisismusic

« Reply #2 on: 23:39:40, 08/12/09 »
I walked the Ridgeway in march and wildcamped along the way. I'm headed up to the lakes around christmas time for a few days wildcamping.

Off the top of my head, gear I would be taking with me is...

- Merino wool base layer top and bottom (Technicals)
- Fleece mid layer top (Technicals)
- Patagonia fleece for an extra layer at night
- Couple of pairs of jogging bottoms for extra layer at night
- Waterproof overcoat and trousers (Technicals again!)
- Insulated ski jacket (for extra warmth at night)
- Waterproof gloves
- Waterproof mittens
- Balaclava
- Thick wooly hat
- Vango spirit 200 tent (going to get some snow bags and karabiners for snow pitching)
- RAB Survival Zone Bivi
- Plastic survival bag
- Ice axe and crampons
- Walking poles
- Map and compass (both the OS landranger and the Harvey's map)
- Food and drink
- Little gas stove and cooking utensils
- Mountain equipment starlight III sleeping bag (sleepzone +10c to -12c)
- Vango trek mat
- Mobile phone for emergencies
- Whistle (for the same)
- Couple of spare pairs of thick socks

I'm sure more things will occur to me! I need to pick up some new hiking trousers before I set off so any suggestions of a suitable pair would be gladly received!
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

thisismusic

« Reply #3 on: 23:43:35, 08/12/09 »
I missed out gaiters as well as first aid kit from that list, tsk!

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 00:00:09, 09/12/09 »
I would never recommend that anyone camp on Ben Nevis in winter. Even when I was ice climbing on long weekends we would always come down to Fort William or at least Glen Nevis to camp or bivi. Unless you are a member of the SMC and can use the CIC hut I would not try and camp. Your tent would be shred by the winds and the temp can be below -12 the range of your sleeping bag.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

thisismusic

« Reply #5 on: 00:35:05, 09/12/09 »
What about coming down as far as lochan meall an t-suidhe?

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 02:16:37, 09/12/09 »
What about coming down as far as lochan meall an t-suidhe?

That is about the same level as the cic hut, people do camp there but with better stronger winter mountain tents. It is only my opinion but I think it would be an uncomfortable night 

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:06:47, 09/12/09 »
I'm wit AC, wild camping anywhere in the highlands is going to need some serious kit

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: 12:50:44, 09/12/09 »
Best tent for Ben Nevis is the West End Hotel Fort William the tent comes with central heating a warm cosy bed with a duvet and En suite. and it even makes you breakfast in the morning.
You can have a night time chat with like minded people in the bar and you can share a couple of shandys. Your kit can be dry for the next morning and you can leave your tent where it is and not have to carry it all day.   O0

thisismusic

« Reply #9 on: 16:16:02, 09/12/09 »
Sounds far too comforable for my liking! Actually I'll be spending the next three years in relative camping luxury. I'm of to work at a wildlife sanctuary in Africa and I've got myself a soulpad 5000. All I need now is a double bed and a sofa from a second hand shop when I get there :)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:31:00, 14/12/09 »
The temperature might not be a problem but the wind could have you off the mountain with nasty consequences. There might be precious little to anchor your tent to - depending on the conditions. You could be OK or spend a very unpleasant night. There is a shelter on the top but this should only be used in emergencies.

I have camped by the CIC hut in winter in the past - only really a good idea if the area is well frozen at this time of the year IMO. It is a bit of a problem finding an area that is not wet through.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: 00:51:07, 15/12/09 »
The summit shelter is in a disgusting state. I had to use it recently to help a friend repair a gaiter strap it was full of spoilt food and really dirty. I found it difficult to spend ten minutes in it never mind spend a night. 3 people and its full.     

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:33:49, 15/12/09 »
I looked in it some years ago one late afternoon in January - the door had been left open and it was full of hard packed snow despite being well off the ground - anyone arriving benighted intending to use it would have had an  hour of hard labour followed by a wet and cold night. As you say AC - unpleasant and only for extreme emergencies.
I have often thought that the conditions in which you would require its use are the ones when you would be least likely to find it.

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:30:29, 15/12/09 »
Cool thread, i have always wondered about this myself.

thisismusic

« Reply #14 on: 18:43:24, 15/12/09 »
I'm wondering now if there are any decent spots near the summit for snowholing - might be a better option than a tent...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy