Author Topic: Anybody recognise this chap?  (Read 6114 times)

hawthornpaul

Anybody recognise this chap?
« on: 12:55:32, 13/09/10 »
We ventured across the border from the white rose to the red rose county on Saturday and found this jolly fellow in a quarry at a place called Faughs near Sabden.  He's supposed to be a wizard (it being Pendle witch country) but one of the group thought it might be a memorial to a quarryman...

This is the quarry...

We got a good soaking and the cloud was very low most of the day so not ideal for "views" but did see this sign of impending Autumn along the way...

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: Anybody recognise this chap?
« Reply #1 on: 13:36:26, 13/09/10 »
I think his name is Cliff Stone.

Curious find though, I love stumbling across such things.
The photo doesn't give a sense of scale - how big is he?
solvitur ambulando

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: 14:14:25, 13/09/10 »
I have seen stone like this before, when they were repairing Hereford Cathedral they were replacing carved stone, Sometimes the stonemason will be well into his work before he uncovers a flaw or crack in the stone and will discard the stone so you end up with a part sculptured piece like this. Its often returned to the quarry for a replacement stone to be supplied.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

hawthornpaul

« Reply #3 on: 14:24:19, 13/09/10 »
Cliff Stone, haha.

The carving is about 12 to 15 inches long.  You had to walk into the quarry and turn round to see it, he's there on the left as you walk back out.  Here's one showing a bit more of the context...

...it looks like the stone is in-situ, so not sure if it's been returned there.

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:57:07, 13/09/10 »
Cliff Stone,

If you walk around to the other side of the quarry you'll see his sister Sharon .
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

Gilly62

« Reply #5 on: 16:36:58, 13/09/10 »
Its Father Christmas really!!  O0
The only way is up!!

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:31:04, 13/09/10 »

If you walk around to the other side of the quarry you'll see his sister Sharon .
;D ;D ;D ;D
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:59:23, 13/09/10 »
Should of contacted the BBC for secret Britain ;)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:34:57, 13/09/10 »
Just found this on Google

"On the S flank of Green Hill is an old sandstone flag quarry known as Faughs Quarry. Carved on a rock within the quarry is the large face of 'The Green Man'. The quarry is a good free camping spot with a fresh water spring nearby at Faughs Farm - the farmer is an OK guy."

Could be this?

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:45:33, 13/09/10 »
Cliff? It looks more one of the Stones ;D
R.I.P. Dave.

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:06:16, 13/09/10 »
Cliff? It looks more one of the Stones ;D

Certainly some rock star anyway ;)
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

hawthornpaul

« Reply #11 on: 09:28:15, 14/09/10 »
The funny replies crack me up, but KIDSTYPIKE looks to have come up with a positive ID "The Green Man" - it's definitely in Faugh's Quarry.  All I could find on Google was it being the site where a Pendle witch named Demdike sold her soul to the devil for six years of happiness.

Thanks all  :)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:33:52, 14/09/10 »
Old Mother Demdike - she was a bit of a Nutter (sorry - witch joke)

Looks more like Woden to me, the green man usually has lots of foliage, whereas yer Woden often looks a lot like Father Christmas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the quarry has some eccesiastical connections - Whalley Abbey, for instance isn't all that far away. this is exactly the kind of carving that used to decorate Abbeys and medieval churches. Probably realised they were making one too many or there was a cash flow problem or something.....

Its fairly common for ancient quarries to retain stuff like this - e.g. there's a roman quarry of red sandstone at Brampton from which large amounts of Carlisle was extracted. Somewhere in the quarry, there's some roman graffiti...  The quarry is still a good eighty feet high and retains ancient chipping and wedge marks.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

hawthornpaul

« Reply #13 on: 12:55:05, 14/09/10 »
 Just done another search and found this at www.wanderlust.co.uk, together with a photo of the same carving...

"Faugh’s Quarry Newchurch in Pendle                                        by                        travmaz
My grandfather born and bred in Newchurch told of when stone was quarried here to build a nearby mill, one of the men working in the quarry fell from quite a height and was killed. His friend carved "
The comment ends abruptly but it seems the carving is, as one of the group thought, in memory of a quarryman.

richard3

« Reply #14 on: 21:40:03, 16/02/11 »
The face in the quarry is my greatgrandfather William Watson, who worked in the quarry and lived in a cottage now occupied by public toilets near the shop Witches Galore.The face was carved by his work colleagues.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy