Author Topic: Still much to learn  (Read 2384 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Still much to learn
« on: 20:16:28, 01/11/19 »
As we all know you are never to old to learn.  Quite a storm brewing up on Bodmin moor.today, so I took the opportunity to try out my new winter walking trousers.  After three and a half hours in driving rain I learnt a few things about my winter kit.

My Mountain Equipment Jacket is just as amazing this year as it was last, totally waterproof. O0

My new Trespass Holloway DLX trousers are also totally waterproof. That I was not expecting to be honest. O0

And the most important lesson learnt today.  If you have totally waterproof trousers and you tuck them into your socks under your waterproof gaiters. All the water runs down them into your new totally waterproof gortex lined winter boots and you have to wring out your socks and empty the water out.  ;D

Lesson learned.  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Still much to learn
« Reply #1 on: 20:53:40, 01/11/19 »
Sorry ,Buzy, but I am laughing at that!! Hope your kit dries out soon. Couple if weeks ago I learnt that if you keep your waterproof jacket unzipped so that you don't overheat, you will get wet.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:04:40, 01/11/19 »
you have totally waterproof trousers and you tuck them into your socks under your waterproof gaiters. All the water runs down them into your new totally waterproof gortex lined winter boots and you have to wring out your socks and empty the water out.  

I warned some friends about that decades ago, they didn’t accept my argument until i pointed out that you firemen alway wear their waterproofs outside their boots.
It's all uphill from here.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:23:10, 01/11/19 »
you have totally waterproof trousers and you tuck them into your socks under your waterproof gaiters. All the water runs down them into your new totally waterproof gortex lined winter boots and you have to wring out your socks and empty the water out.

I warned some friends about that decades ago, they didn’t accept my argument until i pointed out that you firemen alway wear their waterproofs outside their boots.

Wish you had told me.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:13:01, 02/11/19 »

Wish you had told me.
It’s kind of obvious when you think about it  ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

Man wae a dug

« Reply #5 on: 08:03:10, 02/11/19 »
Look on the bright side, you now know your feet are waterproof as well. :)
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:36:52, 02/11/19 »
Laughing here too
But on a five hour tramp on Dartmoor in wind and wet last Wednesday I know that:

the waterproof zips on my new Rab jacket aren't
the properly waxed and loved leather boots aren't
my waterproof Alpikit back pack isn't
my cheap Karrimor waterproof trousers almost are
my skin - free for life - is

Moral - naked hiking obviously is the way to go
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:48:31, 02/11/19 »
It’s kind of obvious when you think about it  ;D

Indeed it is.   :-[ 

Having only used over trousers previous, I just did my normal thing of tucking my walking trousers in to my socks.  To be honest I wasn't expecting them to be waterproof. No previous walking trousers I have bought have been, despite the various claims.  I had my over trousers in my sack and was expecting to need them.  Well worth getting wet feet for.

The main purpose of yesterday's walk was, after all, to test out my kit and learn a little more.   :)
« Last Edit: 10:53:30, 02/11/19 by BuzyG »

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:53:55, 02/11/19 »

As winter approaches it may be advisable to invest in a mink lined cod piece.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:03:08, 02/11/19 »
I mostly wear my gaiters under my trousers, I've found that the best way to keep my feet dry. If there's any mud on the inside I just scuff it off with a small nailbrush. Today I dressed up in my gaiters, long cheap waterproof jacket and rain skirt, plus my homemade hand covers (the cut-off sleeves from an old Goretex jacket) and walked about a mile along the seafront. I was buffeted and blasted by the rain, and was sprayed with seawater as well. Not a long way at all but it proved to be really hard work. Only my face was wet but no water dribbled inside my coat, luckily for me my coat has a brilliant hood, far better than any other hood that I own. I've never yet had the chance to try out my coat in prolonged heavy rain and wind but I'm sure when I do, some rain will penetrate around my neck area.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:29:15, 02/11/19 »
I'm sure when I do, some rain will penetrate around my neck area.
That is where a good wool knit scarf comes in handy. The oilier the better.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:17:07, 02/11/19 »

whit-whoo!! Just a little bit in love  :smitten:

;D  not sure I'm brave enough to follow suit though

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:28:17, 03/11/19 »
I sometimes wonder if I had over trousers which rather than ankle length were calf length, just below the height of gaiters, whether that would be a useful combination. The rain would then run off the trousers, on to gaiters and then over the boot. It would also keep the over trousers cleaner.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:44:36, 03/11/19 »
Yes, it would work in the same way as my rain skit and long waterproof jacket, You would save some weight as well, except it would not work if your waterproof trousers had full length zips down the side. As I've experimented in all sorts of ways to keep dry I did have cheap Peter Storm leggings and cut the legs short to just over the tops of my gaiters, they work fine. I personally prefer gaiters on the lower half of my legs than overtrousers, they are easier to manage, (and help my legs to stay cooler) when having those days when it rains, stops, rains, stops etc.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:39:17, 03/11/19 »

I've often wondered why they don't put foot straps or lace hooks on waterproof trousers - it would eliminate needing gaiters altogether in wet weather.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy