Author Topic: Yewbarrow  (Read 1389 times)

MarkT

Yewbarrow
« on: 10:54:05, 17/03/18 »
Yewbarrow was a fell I wanted to conquer this week on my trip to Wasdale. and was hoping to go up and down both ends.

The day started with very low cloud and from the NT campsite, Yewbarrow was looking grim.

One of the staff at the campsite recommended a walk along the River Esk so drove round to the Eskadale valley and parked at Forge Bridge. I followed the river and visited the waterfalls and walked to Boot seeing the Water Mill and Dalegarth Station. A nice mornings walk

Loving the stepping stones at St. Catherine's Church. And of course I went across but there is a bridge further up for those who don't fancy it!

The afternoon did clear up a little and thought I would give it a go, no rain forecast just low cloud

So far so good and looking back across Wastwater was good

I thoroughly enjoyed the scramble up Dropping Crag and the cloud lifted slightly to get another great view looking back over Bell Rib

And then Great Door

My neices had made me some chocolate rice crispy cakes for my trip so at the first cairn I decided to add my contribution!

And in case you are wandering, I didn't leave it there, it was quickly eaten lol As you can see the cloud was dropping again so quickly headed on and by the time I reached the summit cairn visibility was down to about 20 metres. Nothing too serious as I was able to follow the fairly good path.  There was the odd patch of snow but all good.  I didn't fancy walking back down to Dropping Crag but I also wasn't too keen on coming down Stirrup Crag in the mist/cloud.  Fortunately I found the path leading off the side which led me to Dore Head.

Light just shining through onto Pillar where I was hoping to go tomorrow, please let there be sunshine!! I walked back through the valley with a very bitterly cold wind straight into my face.  The walk back was considerably harder than the steep climb up Yewbarrow but a good day out :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Yewbarrow
« Reply #1 on: 11:01:26, 17/03/18 »
Another set of great photos  O0

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:20:28, 17/03/18 »
Another great trip report Mark, the weather looked similar to earlier in the week, dodging low cloud.
Thanks for taking the time to post. O0

I have a soft spot for Yewbarrow, I climbed it after doing the Mosedale Horseshoe, starting with Kirk Fell.
With tired legs I managed Stirrup Crag but it had my heart pumping for a time before reaching the summit and down that scramble at Dropping Crag.
An absolutely epic day, one I’ll never forget  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:23:48, 17/03/18 »
Great TR and pictures, Mark.  O0 

Yewbarrow's been on my to-do list for a while, you got some fantastic shots.  O0

Seferix

« Reply #4 on: 11:28:54, 17/03/18 »
Nice pics - love Yewbarrow
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:26:53, 17/03/18 »
Great photos, only been to Wasdale once in cloud, views into Wastwater are superb O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:11:32, 19/03/18 »
Nice pics Mark O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:33:06, 19/03/18 »
Nice report and pics  O0
Hate will never win

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:19:19, 20/03/18 »
Yewbarrow is a great little fell with lots of character, a real favourite of mine.
Skip

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:22:11, 20/03/18 »
Nice report and photos Mark - another on my list for my April trip to Wasdale.

MarkT

« Reply #10 on: 19:21:57, 20/03/18 »
Thanks all for your comments. Working on my final trip report, Pillar. A great walk with some great pics.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy