Author Topic: Women's Walking Boots  (Read 2792 times)

Forkbeard

Women's Walking Boots
« on: 19:24:44, 17/03/18 »
I'm trying to find some boots for my other half. She doesnt like the 'heavy' old style leather hiking boots I normally wear so I'm trying to find some lightweight trainer style boots preferably black or dark coloured. Has anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking something like the Salomon style boots, but the women's all seem to be crazy colours.
« Last Edit: 19:28:14, 17/03/18 by Forkbeard »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Women's Walking Boots
« Reply #1 on: 08:39:32, 18/03/18 »
You could maybe look at Lowa Renegades.  I have had 2 pairs, they are lightweight and I know I'm not the only person to find them very comfortable.  They aren't all that longlasting, but after trying other things I have decided that next time I am in the market for boots I will get another pair.  I still go for the old leaky Lowas for most walks despite having 2 other pairs of boots which, though waterproof and comfortable, never quite became 'my boots'.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:51:35, 18/03/18 »
There's nothing wrong with either the Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX (recently been replaced by the Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX) or the Salomon Quest Prime GTX. Most reviews state how comfortable they are although being a fabric construction there have been a number of reports of the liners failing and boots leaking.

Another couple of options which might be worth a look are the Inov-8 Roclite 286 GTX and the Inov-8 Roclite 325 GTX. Both may be hard to find in shops to try on although buying via amazon might be an option where you could order a couple of different sizes and return if not happy. Make sure you check the returns policy for anywhere you decide to buy from.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:55:22, 18/03/18 »
There's nothing wrong with either the Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX (recently been replaced by the Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX) or the Salomon Quest Prime GTX. Most reviews state how comfortable they are although being a fabric construction there have been a number of reports of the liners failing and boots leaking

My daughter had these, they were very comfortable and waterproof until just after the warranty had expired at 2 years when the liners failed and they started to leak. This was the 4d 2 version which were supposed to be better than the original. Perhaps v3 which is now out will be better again. Talking to the boot guy in my local Cotswold who is excellent and also a keen skier (he's from the continent somewhere snowy!) he reckons Salomon gear is not nearly as good as it used to be in terms of durability. We chose not to buy them again and replaced with some Meindls.

Another couple of options which might be worth a look are the Inov-8 Roclite 286 GTX and the Inov-8 Roclite 325 GTX. Both may be hard to find in shops to try on although buying via amazon might be an option where you could order a couple of different sizes and return if not happy. Make sure you check the returns policy for anywhere you decide to buy from.

I've used these extensively, they have very little cushioning as they are so light weight and won't offer much ankle support. You can feel the trail under your feet as they are based on fell running shoes. Worth trying them on, I tend to use them most for summer, in the winter they are quite cold!
Pete Bland seems to have most sizes in stock at the moment (I've ordered stuff from them before, always been reliable)
https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/inov-8-womens-roclite-325-gtx_4791.htm

My current favourite are Scarpa Terras
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/scarpa-womens-terra-gtx-boot-B2122193.html?colour=143

Yes they are leather but they still feel decently light weight and are slipper like comfortable, although quite a wide fit so obviously would not suit everyone.
I seem to remember reading other ladies on here extoling their virtues too. Although they may not seem like they fit your partners criteria I would definitely recommend trying some on before you rule them out.
Enjoy every sandwich

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:06:17, 18/03/18 »
I have found the altberg Fremington Lady Lite to be a comfortable boot. Also the Scarpa Ranger. Both are leather but not that heavy compared to other leather boots.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:56:24, 18/03/18 »
I'm trying to find some boots for my other half. She doesnt like the 'heavy' old style leather hiking boots I normally wear so I'm trying to find some lightweight trainer style boots preferably black or dark coloured. Has anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking something like the Salomon style boots, but the women's all seem to be crazy colours.

At the risk of getting you put in the doghouse  ;D it's really not about what she likes or dislikes it's about finding a boot which fits her and is comfortable but most importantly is designed to be used on the type of terrain she walks on the most.

These YouTube videos might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9hb65XfIs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9hb65XfIs

For example it would be no good buying a boot which has been designed for low level valley walks on prepared paths if most of her walking is high level hill or mountain walking as it just wouldn't provide the necessary support or have the required torsional strength for use on the higher terrain.

I would second the Altberg Fremington Lady Lite or the Altberg Malham (even lighter than the Fremington) as possible options and excellent all rounders. You need to be aware that Vibram have stopped making the Werewolf sole and Altberg are currently manufacturing the Fremington with the Vibram Masai sole (same sole as on the Malham and Tethera) although some dealers may still have stocks of those with the Werewolf sole. http://www.altberg.co.uk/news/post/change-of-sole-on-altberg-fremington-hiking-boot/

Another possible leather option worth considering is the Berghaus Supalite II GTX https://www.gaynors.co.uk/footwear-c119/womens-c122/boots-c132/berghaus-womens-supalite-ii-gtx-p751

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:19:57, 19/03/18 »
Loads of good boots out there. I started my hiking 'career' with full leather boots and then progressed to the more modern styles. I had a pair of Keen Targa 2s, very comfortable and a pair of Salomon Quests, again very comfortable. Unfortunately I lost confidence in that sort of boot because both brands leaked like a sieve! The Saloman was worst, leaked badly the first time it rained! I have now gone back to all leather boots, no problems since. My current brand is Berbhaus Superlite 2s, my only complaint is their poorish grip on slippery surfaces, (I suspect a problem with most modern boots?) they fit me like a glove, they are not heavy and they are waterproof!

For my part, I am male but I always buy womans boots, for me a better heel grip than the male types which helps me to ensure that blisters are a thing of the past.

Forkbeard

« Reply #7 on: 10:25:42, 19/03/18 »
Hi, thanks for the replies. I'll have a better look through them later when I get time. To clarify, for the most part they'll just be for country walks, not much mountain or strenuous hill walking (not yet anyway,but I'm working on it!) so they don't have to be super tough. I'm even thinking some decent running/trail shoes might do the job??

I did try to buy some Salomon X-Ultra II's (which I have) but they've been discontinued and are only available in some sizes and at daft prices. The III's look like a different boot. As gunwharfman says though, some Salomon are not the most watertight of shoe on the market.
« Last Edit: 10:29:03, 19/03/18 by Forkbeard »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:54:14, 19/03/18 »
I'm even thinking some decent ruuning/trail  shoes might do the job??

They might.....until the first time she gets her feet soaking wet when that will suddenly become all your fault too.  ;D

It depends on how much earache you can tolerate but on balance I think a lightweight 2-3 season leather boot might prove to be the better choice. They will certainly last longer than a fabric construction shoe or boot and give you better value for your money in the long run.  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:52:55, 19/03/18 »
Mrs N has Fremington ladies boots too.  Absolutely swears by them - prefers them to trainers.
Solvitur Ambulando

RogerA

« Reply #10 on: 15:48:17, 19/03/18 »
My wife and daughter have these hi-tec altitude I boots - a slightly lighter version of the full leather ones I wear. They both get on ok with them:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Tec-Womens-Altitude-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B06WRR6Y3C

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy