Author Topic: 19-20th May - Green Rd to Lorton days one and two.  (Read 1345 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
When I received an E-mail from the YHA announcing a spring sale I started forming a plan for a 6 day slackpacking holiday in the Lakes. This would involve taking only my toothbrush and some money ( well maybe a change of underwear )  :D   so my pack would be as light as a feather.
Unfortunately my plan started to unravel when I couldn't book accommodation for the Saturday night and as no trains run up the west coast of Cumbria on Sunday The only option was to wild camp on Saturday night so I ended up taking my tent and all my other camping stuff meaning my pack was actually heavier than usual as I had my phone and camera battery chargers etc.
A slightly heavier pack than normal couldn't dampen my mood however as the weather forecast was for sunshine all week and as I arrived at the tiny station near the Green the weather was fantastic and was to stay so all week.
Looking down the track to the Dunnerdale fells.
Some road and field walking needed to be done but the paths were clear and any mud had dried in the sun.
I passed the beautiful wood at Dunningwell.
First sight of my first fell, White Hall Knott.
I think it's fair to say that the path by the Fox and Goose cottages is a bit overgrown.
Looking to Black Combe from near the summit of White Hall Knott.
A hazy view over to the Coniston fells..
I climbed up and over White Combe then descended to Charity Chair by Stoneside hill which along with the Buckbarrow group in the distance look a lot more welcoming than when sue and I climbed them at the height of storm Brian.
Esk Pike, Bowfell and the Crinkles appear as I top the hill at the Buck Barrow fells.
I have already bagged Whitfell but as you need to contour high on it's slopes to by pass the bogs of Withe Bottom and it's a lovely top I climbed it and got a view of the high fells as a reward..
My next new top, Stainton Pike with Holehouse tarn in front. 
Zooming over Eskdale to Illgill Head with Kirk Fell behind on the right then Pillar, Red Pike and Scoat Fell.
Pointing the camera a little further to the right brings in Great Gable and the Scafell group.
Whitfell from Stainton Pike.
Dropping down to Devoke Water to camp in the same place that I have stayed a couple of times before.
And what a lovely spot it is too ( I decided to give the Laser Comp an outing as I've not used it for a few years )
Sunset was a bit disappointing..
But the sunrise made up for it.
Lovely morning light as I left Devoke Water. The Green Crag/Crook Crag fells overtopped by Harter Fell..
Another look back but this time with a full view of Seat How at the end of the tarn.
Rough Crag on the left and Water Crag on the right from Brant Rake Moss.
The Birker Fell road from the descent of Brant Rake.
This sign always makes me smile.
I have never walked the full length of Miterdale so that was another thing on my list this week. Scafell is the mountain at the end of the valley
A Miterdale Mexican standoff.
Miterdale abruptly ends a this little amphitheatre surrounded by small cliffs.
I had to double back slightly to bag Boat How, my next new top. Burnmoor Tarn below.
Boat How looking very much boat like.
Starting the climb to Illgill Head which was turning into quite hard work as the day had become very warm and this set the tone for the next week or so with pleasant mornings with a cool breeze turning into boiling hot afternoons and evenings..
Wasdale Head and the fells roundabout from the climb.
For various reasons ( usually the weather ) when I have walked above the screes I have never gone out to all the little outcrops but today I had time and good weather so I braced myself and tentatively inched my way right to the edge.
Wasdale hall my bed for the night far below.
Somewhat hazy but still brilliant view along Wastwater.
Wastwater boathouse
And another look along the lake from the stone pier at the bottom of the hostel garden which seems to have grown a few feet in length every time I come.
My route was -
19th - Green Rd station - The Green - Dunningwell - Fox and Goose cottages - White Hall Knott - White Combe - Charity Chair - Whitfell - Stainton Pike - Devoke water  ( about 11 miles 3000ft ascent )

20th - Devoke Water - Brant Rake Moss - Brant Rake - Eskdale Green - Giggle Alley - Miterdale - Boat How - Illgill Head - Whin Rigg - Greathall Gill - Wasdale Hall YH ( about 13 miles 3050ft ascent )
Days three and four to follow...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: 19-20th May - Green Rd to Lorton days one and two.
« Reply #1 on: 21:50:36, 02/06/18 »
Great photos Karl.
Never done any of the first day, so many hills so little time.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:50:40, 03/06/18 »
You had great weather Karl, lovely photos  O0 I love Mitredale, we walked up it a few years ago when we camped near Boat How.

The trains have started running on Sundays in the last few weeks Karl. It means Wasdale will be more accessible for us too being able to get the train on a Sunday from Ravenglass  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:35:35, 03/06/18 »
Great stuff karl O0
Some lovely pics as usually
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:43:54, 03/06/18 »
I was surprised to see comments from A&B on such a glorious weekend and then remembered that they were out at a black tie soiree last night with the Tyneside  glittrati and the Norths answer to Barry Norman.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:48:56, 03/06/18 »
I was surprised to see comments from A&B on such a glorious weekend and then remembered that they were out at a black tie soiree last night with the Tyneside  glittrati and the Norths answer to Barry Norman.

;D It hasn't been that glorious here. It was a matinee in Newcastle rather than a soiree, we had a very nice time. No wild camp for us, it was raining with very low cloud so we just came home  :(
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:03:48, 03/06/18 »
Lovely photos Karl O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:09:05, 04/06/18 »
Really enjoyed the TR and the photos, Karl.  O0   Looking forward to the next instalment.  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:06:44, 04/06/18 »
Love the photos - looks a great trip

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:11:11, 04/06/18 »

Thanks everyone.. O0  I'm on to part two now ;)

The trains have started running on Sundays in the last few weeks Karl. It means Wasdale will be more accessible for us too being able to get the train on a Sunday from Ravenglass  :)

That would be great if only any train anywhere in northern England ran as they should ???

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:20:18, 04/06/18 »
That would be great if only any train anywhere in northern England ran as they should ???

I believe there might be a bit of bother with the new timetables  ;)

Thankfully, the train we got on Bank Hol Monday from Ravenglass was running ok.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:26:17, 07/06/18 »
That looks a lovely route and some great pictures.

Paul

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy