Author Topic: Whernside  (Read 3679 times)

Alison202

Whernside
« on: 13:03:43, 29/03/17 »
Does anyone have (or seen online) written instructions for walking Whernside the less common route which is from the West please?  Thank you.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: Whernside
« Reply #1 on: 15:04:21, 29/03/17 »
Do you mean the approach from Ingleton? Or this one from Dent - http://www.mypennines.co.uk/yorkshire-dales/walks/071004.html
« Last Edit: 15:14:50, 29/03/17 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Alison202

« Reply #2 on: 15:21:23, 29/03/17 »
I'm just wanting to walk Whernside from Ribblehead , but I'd prefer to climb up the steeper part early on rather than clamber down it towards the end.  Hope that makes sense.  Thank you.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:29:21, 29/03/17 »
do you mean doing it the opposite way to the way most people would do it? So, you descend Whernside and then follow the railway down to the car park?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:56:24, 29/03/17 »
I'm just wanting to walk Whernside from Ribblehead , but I'd prefer to climb up the steeper part early on rather than clamber down it towards the end.  Hope that makes sense.  Thank you.

That's easy then, park at Ribblehead, go under the viaduct and follow the Winterscales Beck FP until you reach the signpost for Whernside/Ingleton 3 peaks route, turn right and ascend Whernside, head over the top and then drop down via the railway and Blea moor signal box back to the car park.

Amemded due to a glaring error pointed out by ninthace
« Last Edit: 16:41:42, 29/03/17 by Bhod »

Alison202

« Reply #5 on: 16:17:15, 29/03/17 »
Thank you very much.

Yes, I'm wanting to do it the opposite way around to how most people do it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:22:30, 29/03/17 »
That's easy then, park at Ribblehead, go under the viaduct and follow the Winterscales Beck FP until you reach the signpost for Whernside/Ingleton 3 peaks route, turn left and ascend Whernside, head over the top and then drop down via the railway and Blea moor signal box back to the car park.

Shouldn't that be turn right to pass between Bruntscar and Broadrake?  (Or do you mean at Ivescar spot ht 292) Sure is a sporty climb though - you will be out of breath by the top.
« Last Edit: 16:27:14, 29/03/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:40:07, 29/03/17 »

Shouldn't that be turn right to pass between Bruntscar and Broadrake?  (Or do you mean at Ivescar spot ht 292) Sure is a sporty climb though - you will be out of breath by the top.

Well spotted that man, of course it should read turn right.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:44:06, 29/03/17 »
IMO, this is the far more pleasant way to do Whernside. On the whole, I think  the 'Standard route' can be a bit of a dreary slog.
Here's a GPX of the route as I did it a few weeks ago. I parked in a large lay-by just past the hill inn (Going towards Ribblehead.)
« Last Edit: 19:52:55, 29/03/17 by Hillhiker1 »

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:31:24, 01/04/17 »
I've only skimmed the replies so far.
I believe you want to use the old route, which IS steep and starts near Winterscales. The main downside to this route is that it is VERY boggy. The top section collapsed some yeas ago making it a bit of a mud scramble.
To access you follow the main path alongside the viaduct and take the second 'tunnel'. This takes you along a bridal path and into Winterscales, continue on over the cattle grid and past a junction on your left. Now simply watch the wall on your right for a ladder stile. This is the start of the path. It is NOT well defined but essentially goes straight up the hillside. As I've said it is VERY boggy.
Simply keep going straight up. A few meanders mostly to avoid bogs.
The top section is partly fenced off to protect the collapsed old path. When at the top the summit is on your right.
Not a pleasant ascent, but perfectly 'doable'.

:)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:56:23, 01/04/17 »
That sounds like the route the fell runners use to ascend Whernside..

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:09:12, 01/04/17 »
If I've understood Peter correctly, this is the path he's referring to. Not one I'll ever be using....

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:39:08, 02/04/17 »
Yes, that is correct. The runners still use for the 3 peaks race.
Its a hell of a climb at the end, not maintained in any way.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy