Author Topic: Walking is good for us , I think most would agree , but ..  (Read 2553 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
quote : " When you think out loud you detect and explore ideas and concepts which are either unknown, or as yet unexplored " .   O0

O0
A bit like life . But sometimes , just sometimes , we come out of the flour cupboard with magic in our hands ...
Only in Columbia.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
This is not a thread for an engineer to try and follow...  ;D

Some one get me a cup of strong tea and a set square, I need order.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member

A rule and compass, can do most things with that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Only in Columbia.
British? Or District of?  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
British? Or District of?  ;)
The way the world has gone, any of them.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Where

Where`s Mel . She will bring order , especially as this thread is drifting , well more like changing continents .  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I am interested in more posts following up the last word of your thread title.  So far we have quite a few which could just as well come under the title "I walk because".  It is that "but" that interests me.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
I did notice that  8) but I thought if I put the most obvious it would be met with, "Here we go again".  ;D but strolling off the righteous way is rather fun and keeps me feeling young, Well enough along as I can come up an excuse that allows me not to have to leg it.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

GnP

• Veteran Member
I did notice that  8) but I thought if I put the most obvious it would be met with, "Here we go again".  ;D but strolling off the righteous way is rather fun and keeps me feeling young, Well enough along as I can come up an excuse that allows me not to have to leg it.

8)   it seems that any forum ,  like life , is organised chaos and we deceive ourselves if we think it is under our control . Leg it..? I thought you were of an age that to leg it would be detrimental to one`s health .  ;)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Yes the age of legging it successfully have passed me by, sadly. I led an unofficial visit to a girls boarding school, some 60 years ago in a one time baronial hall, as the school captain of cross country running it fell to me to lead the schools gym mistress off on a diversion, when we were ambushed through some loose talk.

Such feats are just a memory.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member

But back to the wonders of the universe, Richard Feynman had this to say on it.

I have a friend who’s an artist and has sometimes taken a view which I don’t agree with very well. He’ll hold up a flower and say "look how beautiful it is," and I’ll agree. Then he says "I as an artist can see how beautiful this is but you as a scientist take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing," and I think that he’s kind of nutty. First of all, the beauty that he sees is available to other people and to me too, I believe, although I might not be quite as refined aesthetically as he is, I can appreciate the beauty of a flower.

At the same time, I see much more about the flower than he sees. I could imagine the cells in there, the complicated actions inside, which also have a beauty. I mean it’s not just beauty at this dimension, at one centimeter; there’s also beauty at smaller dimensions, the inner structure, also the processes. The fact that the colors in the flower evolved in order to attract insects to pollinate it is interesting; it means that insects can see the color. It adds a question: does this aesthetic sense also exist in the lower forms? Why is it aesthetic? All kinds of interesting questions which the science knowledge only adds to the excitement, the mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds. I don’t understand how it subtracts.
My tutor at university always said that engineers were the most privileged. We didn’t need a degree in an arts subject in order to enjoy a book, painting or sculpture, but could take pleasure in these on top of what we were learning. We also didn’t have the pure scientist approach of doing something for the sake of it, but were adapting science to create something useful (and often aesthetically pleasing). Not all would agree with his sentiment, but as an engineer I think it is a good enough approximation to reality to be useful in every day life.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Getting back to the walking  :D  I always feel better after a walk. It’s something that most of us can do for most of our lives and it’s free, what’s not to like? I used to play netball but retired age 54 (old for a netball player!) But I can still walk. You can walk fast or slow, long or short distances, hills or flat. We can change it to suit our age and abilities. I aim to still be able to walk 3 miles when I am 80, and I think I will have done ok.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy