Author Topic: Plotting Multiple Routes on the Same Map  (Read 3354 times)

Any Help Appreciated

Re: Plotting Multiple Routes on the Same Map
« Reply #15 on: 09:23:32, 10/07/20 »
I use MAPYX Quo as you can plot any amount of routes on one map. Each one is independent of the other and you just select/deselect each one as required. I have used it on numerous occasions to plot a longer route from several short ones. Tracks from your GPS unit can also be imported and displayed on the same map which, when overlaid with your route, allows you to see how close your actual walk was to the planned route.

Thanks. I haven't used MAPYX Quo before, so I'll take a look.

rambling oldie

« Reply #16 on: 09:32:34, 10/07/20 »
Not sure if it'll be any help but a few years ago I was using Anquet, before I settled on OS Maps.   I seem to remember that I sometimes got in a muddle and created a route whilst another was still on screen.  When I loaded it back in the other route was also shown.  Might be a way of doing what you want easily.  Could be worth approaching Anquet and asking them?

Any Help Appreciated

« Reply #17 on: 09:33:42, 10/07/20 »
Not sure if it'll be any help but a few years ago I was using Anquet, before I settled on OS Maps.   I seem to remember that I sometimes got in a muddle and created a route whilst another was still on screen.  When I loaded it back in the other route was also shown.  Might be a way of doing what you want easily.  Could be worth approaching Anquet and asking them?

Yeah many thanks. Never heard of them befoe but I'll give it a go.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:42:39, 10/07/20 »
Strikes me this is more a design exercise than recording routes. You already have a record of your routes, individually, if you are trying to get a graphic representation of ground covered, perhaps a graphics program such as the free software GIMP might work.
Make a base map of your area as a .jpeg or .tif. then save individual .png files of the routes. These have a transparent background, so can be used as layers in GIMP.

They can be easily created from my mapping software MM, not sure about others. The route format is not as versatile graphically as the track format. If the saved as a jpg from the map software and opened in gimp the track can be selected quickly and easily and the map erased. All your routes can be saved in a folder as .png files and all these files can be opened as a stack of layers over your base map in gimp. You will have as many colours as you need to individualize each route also additional graphics to add direction and other helpful annotations.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Any Help Appreciated

« Reply #19 on: 12:01:30, 10/07/20 »
Strikes me this is more a design exercise than recording routes. You already have a record of your routes, individually, if you are trying to get a graphic representation of ground covered, perhaps a graphics program such as the free software GIMP might work.
Make a base map of your area as a .jpeg or .tif. then save individual .png files of the routes. These have a transparent background, so can be used as layers in GIMP.

They can be easily created from my mapping software MM, not sure about others. The route format is not as versatile graphically as the track format. If the saved as a jpg from the map software and opened in gimp the track can be selected quickly and easily and the map erased. All your routes can be saved in a folder as .png files and all these files can be opened as a stack of layers over your base map in gimp. You will have as many colours as you need to individualize each route also additional graphics to add direction and other helpful annotations.

Thanks but it is a route mapping issue.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:57:46, 10/07/20 »
Extract from BaseCamp showing some of my recent rambles on Dartmoor.  One other advantage is the map can be switched to something less detailed than OS, thus removing the underlying clutter.  It is also fully zoomable

Is this what you are after?  I can display routes by area or year or both.  It depends how you organise the files.
Forgot to add - you can colour code them too e.g. blue = done, red = planned
« Last Edit: 16:04:58, 10/07/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Any Help Appreciated

« Reply #21 on: 12:11:28, 11/07/20 »
Extract from BaseCamp showing some of my recent rambles on Dartmoor.  One other advantage is the map can be switched to something less detailed than OS, thus removing the underlying clutter.  It is also fully zoomable

[nofollow]

Is this what you are after?  I can display routes by area or year or both.  It depends how you organise the files.
Forgot to add - you can colour code them too e.g. blue = done, red = planned

Yeah thanks. That is what I am looking for. I can still do this in Tracklogs but can't seem to export. In the OS Web-based App you can only show one route at a time. With Basecamp it looks like you have to buy the maps that I have already paid access for on Tracklogs and OS but can't seem to transfer.

Nightmare.
« Last Edit: 12:41:22, 11/07/20 by Any Help Appreciated »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:40:25, 11/07/20 »
BaseCamp allows for the export of a trace as a gps file.  If also supports open source mapping, which is free but not as detailed, but perfectly adequate for planning purposes.  This shot is using CacheMapUK, in someways it is better as there is less background clutter as you enlarge the map

Solvitur Ambulando

Any Help Appreciated

« Reply #23 on: 12:42:59, 11/07/20 »
BaseCamp allows for the export of a trace as a gps file.  If also supports open source mapping, which is free but not as detailed, but perfectly adequate for planning purposes.  This shot is using CacheMapUK, in someways it is better as there is less background clutter as you enlarge the map

[nofollow]

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:45:48, 11/07/20 »

Thanks. I'll give it a go.
Try Freizeitkarte too.
Solvitur Ambulando

Any Help Appreciated

« Reply #25 on: 12:49:40, 11/07/20 »
Try Freizeitkarte too.

Okay. Will do.

Any Help Appreciated

« Reply #26 on: 18:34:05, 11/07/20 »
I'm going to give up on this as none of the options seem to do what I had hoped properly.

Tracklogs did what I wanted for just £25 for the OS maps but I can't seem to export the collective routes.

Seems weird that there is nothing out there that does the jobs.

Any thanks for your help.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:48:45, 11/07/20 »
Are you trying to export the collective routes as a single file?  BaseCamp can do that
Solvitur Ambulando

Any Help Appreciated

« Reply #28 on: 20:24:00, 11/07/20 »
Are you trying to export the collective routes as a single file?  BaseCamp can do that

Yeah, I have downloaded and tried all the suggestions. The problem I am finding with Basecamp is that it seems problematic to locate maps, particulary those that are OS based. I would like to create 50 or so routes in a local area following paths and roads and would like to save it all as one GPX to transfer into other software if needed. I wouldnt like to have to input them all again.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:57:28, 11/07/20 »
If you can get Cachemap to work it is almost OS, otherwise there is no alternative but to purchase OS mapping but you can do what I do. Buy a square kilometreage allowance and then tile the maps in rectangles over the appropriate areas rather than pay for mapping of areas you do not want.

To bulk export, select all the routes you want to export at the same time, select file/export/selection then export the resulting .gps file Ready to import into whatever software you want.

Of course, you could just adopt BaseCamp as your basic tool. It can import files from a range of formats and convert them to .gps.  I use it to convert routes plotted on GoogleEarth as .kml files into .gps. Then I can outload the file  to my phone using ViewRanger, or the OS app or my Etrex.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy