Author Topic: Footpath closure  (Read 1035 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Footpath closure
« Reply #15 on: 15:36:19, 17/07/20 »
If the temporary/permanent closure is based on a safety assessment of the road crossing then the is surely a further step that should be taken. In order to lessen the probable event of someone crossing the road and as the alternative safe crossings are a short distance away along the field margins it should be made clear that temporary permissive ways are the option for the shortest distance to the alternatives. There are clearly rights of way to the unsafe crossings, so both landowners and council could be seen to be negligent for not putting obvious alternatives in place.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:29:35, 17/07/20 »
If the temporary/permanent closure is based on a safety assessment of the road crossing then the is surely a further step that should be taken. In order to lessen the probable event of someone crossing the road and as the alternative safe crossings are a short distance away along the field margins it should be made clear that temporary permissive ways are the option for the shortest distance to the alternatives. There are clearly rights of way to the unsafe crossings, so both landowners and council could be seen to be negligent for not putting obvious alternatives in place.

That is the bit I did not like about the notice.  It did not say those things were in place or would be sorted in due course.  It simply referred it to another department.  If you look on the OS map there is a Safe RoW to the bridge a few hundred yards away. 

Had the council fenced off the dangerous route across the road?  I had assumed they would have.  Though from the tenor of the note that may have been the responsibility of yet another department.
« Last Edit: 16:33:34, 17/07/20 by BuzyG »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:01:02, 17/07/20 »
I agree and having run into H&S as self employed it riles me that bureaucrats can feel exempt from the basic consideration of risk assessment. Surely there should be a piece of paper somewhere in that department with a corresponding date, assessing the risk of their notice.
Perhaps they consider that they have closed down the risk to person by crossing a main road, but what is the alternative.
Scenario; group of young teens, returning for evening meal, caught late and faced with turning back, retracing their steps knowing they will be late. Plenty of family homes north side, open countryside south side. What is the chance they might take the risk of a gap in the traffic against being late and perhaps owning up to have been out of bounds.

Too much churlish, poorly assumed authority within that notice.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy