Author Topic: Boots - Waterproof - Mortons Neuroma  (Read 12165 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots - Waterproof - Mortons Neuroma
« Reply #15 on: 11:51:54, 27/09/17 »
Just be aware that Altberg's measuring and fitting system has a reputation for being close fitting.......too close fitting for some customers.

They're not wrong with their measuring and I think they fit them on the basis that they know that the leather will stretch and give a little once they've been worn and the leather has broken in and moulded to the shape of your feet.

If you're not completely happy with the fit don't be afraid to insist on trying on a boot half a size bigger or one width fitting wider. Doing that will at least give you a comparison of the differing comfort levels and at the end of the day you're paying a lot of money to be comfortable.

Replacing Altberg's standard insole with something like the Superfeet Green or something else which supports your high arch better may also help the fit. Make sure you mention this during the fitting.

It may seem obvious but don't forget to take your normal walking socks and any orthotics which you may have with you.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:28:41, 27/09/17 »
I agree with kinkyboots regarding the close fitting.  I have quite narrow feet and when Altberg measured them they told me I needed the Extra Narrow fitting.  I bought a pair of Tethera boots and wore them around the house for a few days but found that they were far too tight so I went back and changed them for the Narrow fitting, which have proved to be a much better fit.

G2EWS

« Reply #17 on: 12:35:33, 27/09/17 »
Thanks again Kinkyboots and Dave,

I will take that into account whilst there.

Don't fancy having to go back from home that would be another 600 mile round trip!

Regards

Chris

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:02:41, 27/09/17 »
Hi G2EWS - Its funny how we are all different - I too suffered with this pain in my left foot which sometimes became a feeling that the foot was trying to burst out of the shoe-  Its started with cycling but transferred to walking.  I eventually went to a podiatrist who reckoned my boots were too stiff (Asolo Fugitive).  As these had started leaking I moved to Meindl Torontos and have been wearing them for a year with no pain - though like you I went up a size.  I have the opposite to you in that I am flat footed.  One thing I do now do is to crunch the toes up between strides occasionally, perhaps for forty or fifty strides - flexing the foot seems to help.

Good luck with the fitting.

G2EWS

« Reply #19 on: 16:57:42, 27/09/17 »
Thank you pdstsp,

Useful information.

Best regards

Chris

G2EWS

« Reply #20 on: 14:56:42, 06/10/17 »

Afternoon all,

In a layby some 20 miles from Middlesborough having a well earned cuppa!

Having been measured properly at Alt Berg, they told me I have normal width at the front, but narrow at the rear of my foot. This is what they call the 'A Forme' fitting. So I ended up with the 'A Forme' version of the Tethera, called the Nordkapp.

Tethera http://www.altberg.co.uk/stockist-product/stockist-nordkapp/

Very snug fit.

Maybe I was a little ambitious in that I walked 8 mile from the factory to test them out!

These boots are very solid with no give or feel from the ground. This is a good thing but completely different from the Salomons. So my feet where just not used to it. It is great to tread on a stone and not get a shooting pain due to the mortons neuroma.

Messed around with the laces during the walk and reckon I got the best tightness in the end.

The only problem is my heels hurt. Something I have not suffered with for over 30 years. However, it is a long time since I have worn such a solid feel boot. The last being my serious mountaineering boots when I used to teach.

Being nubuk leather they are going to give and my feet will mould into them, so I am quite excited. But will stick with shorter walks for the time being!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:21:35, 06/10/17 »
Glad you got sorted out.

The Nordkapp is a very nice boot. I wish the Tethera had the higher rand around the toe area.

Wearing them around the house and for short walks is definitely the way to go until you have got used to them and they've broken in a bit.

G2EWS

« Reply #22 on: 06:51:06, 09/10/17 »
Thank you Kinkyboots,

Will certainly be doing shorter walks.

Did a 5.7 mile walk yesterday, which was good. Unable to walk today, but will be doing 5 miles walks for most of this week.

Regards

Chris

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:17:17, 29/10/17 »
Just jumping in on the thread as I have just returned from whalley warm and dry with a pair of the Nordkapp after being properly measured for the first time since I was a kid  ::)  Although not been tested to the full, they do feel very comfy and with the added sidas insoles and waxes, quite a bit of money but it's an early Xmas pressie so what the hell  ;D  Its surprising what you learn about parts of your body you take for granted. Here's hoping to a good few miles and years with these. Although I don't do extreme winter stuff I was told they are ok with the c1 crampon in short times and are ok with mircospikes so should suit me. Thanks to all on here for the various threads about boots  O0
« Last Edit: 18:33:06, 29/10/17 by redeye »

oczo81

« Reply #24 on: 18:39:24, 29/10/17 »
Hi Redeye,

I hope you`ll find them comfortable and all works out well for you.

Many happy walks,

David

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:13:19, 29/10/17 »
Hi Redeye,

I hope you`ll find them comfortable and all works out well for you.

Many happy walks,

David
Cheers and if you work there, thanks for the great service from the staff and relaxed feel of the shop and the coffee O0

nesty

« Reply #26 on: 22:56:44, 30/10/17 »
Glad you got sorted out.

The Nordkapp is a very nice boot. I wish the Tethera had the higher rand around the toe area.

Wearing them around the house and for short walks is definitely the way to go until you have got used to them and they've broken in a bit.

IMHO that is the one design fault with the Altberg Tetheras.  I wish that band was much higher. I already have scuffs on my toe box areas, where I've clipped rocks.

If I see a set of Altberg Nordkapp in Size 12 on ebay in the future I'll be trying to snap them up!
« Last Edit: 23:00:59, 30/10/17 by nesty »

G2EWS

« Reply #27 on: 17:21:40, 25/11/17 »
Hi all,

An update after 330 miles with the new Alt bergs.

I have struggled with the stiffness of these boots and expected my feet to grow new muscles to compensate for having to constantly stop the twisting and turning when on slopes or treading on a rock.

But it has been hard.

However, even worse than that the last two days of doing slightly more miles has been hell.

Yesterday my 8 mile walk ended with 3 miles of road and I struggled.

Today my 9 mile walk most of which was off road, ended up with me in serious pain for the last 1.5 miles.

Why?

The major problem is the boots! Yes, I know I spent ages choosing them and have now completed 330 miles since purchasing them.

But!

I have found the boots to be very stiff and rigid, meaning the slightest angle and your feet have to compensate. After 330 miles I would have expected my feet to be strong enough in the areas they needed building up in. But alas I don't think that is happening. I have pain all over my feet due to the stresses and muscle work.

I have found I can do 5 or 6 miles and it is reasonably OK. But today the mortons neuroma in my right foot was horrendous as was a serious pain in the heel of my left foot. So much so with 1.5 miles to go, I almost phoned my Wife to collect me and get me back to the car. But I was nearly 20 miles away.

But if these high end boots are giving me this problem what is there for me? After all it is me that is choosing what works for me. But I seem to be making mistakes.

Been watching reviews of the Garmin Fenix 5X watch with in built mapping and getting jealous of those walking 9 or 10 miles in the Lakes. But they seem to wear walking shoes which I don't really have a problem with. But at this time of the year, I am stepping into mud over ankle deep. A walking shoe won't help me with that!

So here I sit in my garden room, sipping wine, feeling miffed.

A friend has suggested going to see a podiatrist. I wonder if anyone on here has done that?

Also suggested is go to a running shoe shop as they test your feet to see how it lands etc.  

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Regards

Chris

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:06:17, 25/11/17 »
Sorry to hear that you're struggling with the new Nordkapp's.

I know you didn't buy the boots there but you've nothing to lose by phoning Whalley Warm & Dry and asking for some advice. http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/

Ask to speak to one of their bootfitters and explain your problem with the new Nordkapp's and your Morton's Neuroma. Hopefully they may be able to help or at the very least offer you some relevant advice and point you in the right direction.

Liz S

« Reply #29 on: 20:44:29, 25/11/17 »
 Try the shop as has been suggested and if you cant find a solution then sell them on either Outdoor Gear Exchange or Ebay.
 Maybe the boots are just not suitable for yor feet.
 I've had a pair of Altberg boots and despite being measured for them one was really uncomfortable and it felt like a knife was being stuck in my foot. This was where the crease was. I never suffer from foot or boot problems usually.
 In the end the retailer gave me a full refund,which was a relief.
 Hope you find a solution, but you might just have to admit defeat I think.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy