Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292715 times)

Lee R

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1035 on: 21:36:41, 08/02/20 »
Picked up a pair of Craghoppers trousers for half price the other week whilst in Debenhams. I don't usually shop in Debenhams (in fact, I don't shop in town at all if I can help it!) but my teenage daughter needed to go in for a fitting. Wore them today, very comfortable & impressed for the money - they were about £25 I think.

Next thing I want is a hydration bladder I think.

Yorci

« Reply #1036 on: 18:16:39, 12/02/20 »
I will be interested to see how you get on with it. I too didn’t find many reviews and was wondering how it might compare with other GPS devices.
I've just posted an initial review of my new toy, the OS Aventura in the gear section.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Hadrian

« Reply #1037 on: 18:25:59, 12/02/20 »
I've just bought 2 x Columbia Silver Ridge hiking shirts. I decided on this brand and model after reading about them on 'outdoorgearlab.com.' They arrived this morning and I'm wearing one right now, feels very comfortable and the medium I ordered fits me extremely well. How good will they be whilst I'm hiking? No idea yet but I will try them out soon.

They cost me £25 each from the Columbia site.

As Columbia were still having their online sale I decided to buy a couple of the Silver Ridge shirts too. Initial impressions are good - well made and very comfortable. I’m putting them away until the weather gets a lot warmer when the wicking fabric should prove useful.

Little Foot

« Reply #1038 on: 14:29:59, 14/02/20 »
Just bought a power bank, which I though was a reasonable price as it had dropped by £10 since the last time I looked. This one.

I'm still waiting for a Naturehike sleeping mat to be despatched from AliExpress, that I ordered two weeks ago. I expect the delay is due to the virus. I'd like to order a few more things but best waiting until things calm down, I think. Need to stop spending anyway!  ;D
« Last Edit: 20:05:33, 14/02/20 by Little Foot »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1039 on: 15:59:24, 16/02/20 »
I've just been to Decathlon and bought a black pair of hiking trousers, £12.99.

I already own two fawn coloured pairs, they then cost £7.99 a pair.

When I next hike I'll take a fawn and a black pair with me, just to ensure I don't get muddled as to which ones I wore on previous days.

I really like them, lightweight and so hard wearing, fits me like a glove and so easy to wash and so easy to dry.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1040 on: 16:11:39, 16/02/20 »
A new inflatable pillow from Decathlon (£3.99). My previous one survived an amazing 5 years of heavy use. I did consider buying an almost 10 times more expensive Sea to Summit that might be a bit more comfortable, but it doesn't feel robust enough, so I bought the cheap Decathlon again.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1041 on: 16:16:18, 16/02/20 »
Oh! almost forgot! Yesterday I bought Continental Divide Trail maps as in-app purchase for Guthook navigation app.

Yorci

« Reply #1042 on: 19:14:54, 16/02/20 »
A new inflatable pillow from Decathlon (£3.99).
Is it any good, often thought about buying a pillow, but still using my jacket/fleece, just pull the sleeves inside, zip it up and fill it with my spare clothes. Bit of a faf re-sorting it out in the morning, but it works great.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1043 on: 19:19:16, 16/02/20 »
Bought a couple of pairs of running tights, I use them like thermals.
My tarp was delivered this week too.  Really should get out in the rain and try it soon.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1044 on: 19:25:25, 16/02/20 »
Is it any good, often thought about buying a pillow, but still using my jacket/fleece, just pull the sleeves inside, zip it up and fill it with my spare clothes. Bit of a faf re-sorting it out in the morning, but it works great.

If it is very cold I sometimes sleep in my jacket/fleece. Or these clothes are wet and need to dry out overnight. I often struggle to find suitable things to make an artificial pillow. I also like the consistency of the pillow, as opposed to the randomness of available clothes to make an artificial one.

A few years ago I ditched my inflatable pillow to save weight, only to reintroduce it again shortly after for the reasons mentioned. For me, 84 grams weight savings isn't worth a less comfortable night sleep.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1045 on: 20:08:53, 16/02/20 »
I have a Sea to Summit blow-up pillow, silly really and so expensive, but I had one of those silly moments when I was frustrated that I couldn't find a good cheap one at the time. What I do is fill my flexible and lightweight 20L (or is it a 10L?) Sea to Summit bowl with my clothes and place my blow-up the pillow on top. I usually sleep well and do not wake up with a cricked neck.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1046 on: 09:35:58, 17/02/20 »
I usually sleep well and do not wake up with a cricked neck.
I seem to get a cricked neck whenever I sleep, but with the combination of my very cheap Tesco travel pillows and my not so cheap Klymit Static V2 bed, I seem to have less of one.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1047 on: 10:25:55, 17/02/20 »
I have a Sea to Summit blow-up pillow, silly really and so expensive, but I had one of those silly moments when I was frustrated that I couldn't find a good cheap one at the time.

I almost bought a Sea to Summit pillow too. It felt incredibly comfortable when I tried it out in the shop. I don't care about the high price if something is really good. But it didn't feel robust enough for my use. It felt like it could develop a leak very soon. I use it for long distance hiking (months on end) so I really want gear that doesn't fail me. So I bought the tried and proven ultra-cheap Decathlon again that had survived 5 years of rough use. It's not as comfortable as the Sea to Summit pillow though. And perhaps the Sea to Summit pillow is more robust than it looks/feels.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1048 on: 11:13:19, 17/02/20 »
2 pairs of Merrell Moab 2 Mid GTX, On 'sale' at Start Fitness in Newcastle.  Great boot for general everyday/dog walking use.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1049 on: 11:31:49, 17/02/20 »
My Sea to Summit pillow hasn't leaked yet, I've had it about 4 years, mind you If I'd seen one at Decathlon I'm sure I would have bought their's instead.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy