Author Topic: Layering again!  (Read 3915 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Layering again!
« on: 20:00:39, 25/10/20 »
A subject that comes up often I know but for me, it's always the most interesting. I'm a great believer in layering and have tried various combination of this, that and the other, trying to compare and contrast the effectiveness of synthetic, bamboo and merino products. The standard layering system seems to be a base layer, maybe a shirt or T-shirt on top, a fleece and a waterproof but I've often wondered if any forum members have thought it through to a higher level and take clothing with them which is multifunctional to manage all of the weathers and temperatures that UK hikers are most likely to experience in one full year?

Has anyone come up with their own plan of how best to 'layer' to suit the type of weather conditions that we experience most, or is the matter solved by just using the basics of baselayer, fleece and jacket with maybe just a bit more added?

Apache

• Account Closed
Re: Layering again!
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:06, 25/10/20 »
The rest is just sales hype IMO. Get a base layer and a water/windproof outer shell and then add mid layer (insulation) to suit. Remembering that 2 thin layers are more flexible than 1 thick one and down has it's lofting and hydroscopic issues as well as its lightness and compressibility.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:38:42, 25/10/20 »
Surely it all depends on the individual? Some people feel the cold more and some less.
I'm one who feels the cold more (I think), so I wear what I need to and carry extra items in my rucksack to cover all eventualities. But maybe that's just me, always organised.
When I'm warmly wrapped up on my walks I've encountered people, usually young fit males, who unlike me have no more than a baselayer top and a windshirt, while conversely I see far more people in relatively mild conditions that I consider to be overdressed with heavyweight Gore-Tex jackets on.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:33:28, 25/10/20 »
To find out the actual real need for layering can I suggest a trip to Newcastle when lock down etc ends. You will see that the wearing of anything other than a single layer of thin clothing is all that is required to meet the needs of human endyrance in snow, frost, haar, rain, gale force winds or even blazing sunshine(at least once a year) .

I am sure April will attest as to just how unessesary layers of clothing are to folks from above the Tyne. 😳😁😁😁
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:14:13, 25/10/20 »
I remember once staying in Whitley Bay. The locals there seemed to need little insulation against the cold.

Z3man

« Reply #5 on: 08:26:44, 26/10/20 »
Due to sweating a lot when working hard walking up hills, layering is something i think about quite a lot and am always looking to improve upon.

I currently use a Helly Hansen Lifa Active base layer which are the best base layers i have ever come across.

Then i use a Rab Nucleus pull-on with oval grid pattern as a mid layer.

Then on top of that i will use a pretty standard fleece jacket.

Then if it rains i will use a Paramo or a hard shell jacket over the top.

I am currently looking on improving this set up as i always am and have been reading a lot about the Rab Vapour Rise products.

I started looking at the VR GUIDE Jacket, which has brilliant reviews and a good loyal following. I was pretty settled on trying that then i read it has recently stopped being made, but plenty stock is still available online and in Go Outdoors.

I has been replaced by the VR SUMMIT jacket, there are not many reviews on this yet as it is quite new, but it looks to be quite a different jacket to the VR GUIDE, it uses a totally different outer shell and has no zip pits amongst other changes.

I just wondered if anyone on here has any experience with these two jackets or any other Vapour Rise products, do the work, do they do what they are supposed to do.

The idea behind them is that you are supposed to be able to reduce the amount of layers you need to wear. The VR jackets can be worn next to the skin or with just a thin base layer, then that is all you need unless it rains heavily then you will need a hard shell as well as they are only water resistant.

They are quite expensive though between £150-£180, so i want to make sure they are worth it before i buy one.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:49:35, 26/10/20 »
I also have some HH base layers.  They are very good but after a day’s hard walking in them, you would have no trouble getting a compartment to yourself in a train.
Solvitur Ambulando

Z3man

« Reply #7 on: 10:29:41, 26/10/20 »
I also have some HH base layers.  They are very good but after a day’s hard walking in them, you would have no trouble getting a compartment to yourself in a train.

Compartment, showing your age now. O0

« Last Edit: 12:12:07, 26/10/20 by Z3man »

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:14:36, 26/10/20 »
I base layer.

Then, depending on how cold/windy it is, or whether I am working hard (ascent) or not, a micro fleece and one, or extremely exceptionally two fairly thin fleeces. I never wear a shell/waterproof unless it is raining or occasionally when stopped for lunch, to kill the wind, because I prefer to let the sweat out unencumbered. I run hot!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:12:55, 26/10/20 »
Not something I agonise much about, to be honest.

Baselayer, midlayer(s), outer, adjust thickness and number of layers to suit.

For me it really is as simple as that.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:23:23, 26/10/20 »
Compartment, showing your age now. O0

The last train I was on had compartments.

The Pulman car was particularly sumptuous. O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:34:27, 26/10/20 »
Not something I agonise much about, to be honest.

Baselayer, midlayer(s), outer, adjust thickness and number of layers to suit.

For me it really is as simple as that.

Your forgetting your hat Richard.  Your quite right though. it really is that simple.  O0

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:32:35, 27/10/20 »

I've read all the technical stuff about wicking and tried various layers and supposed breakthroughs but it all seems about the same. Base, fleece, jacket.

The exact items are selected depending on weather - less insulation in Summer.

Tried Buffalo but that was a disaster - got incredibly hot going uphill. Great thing to have watching football in January but useless for hillwalking for me.

I guess the only items outside of this that seem worthwhile to me are windproofs and softshells.
I never considered a windproof until a few years back and they are really handy. Super light but can create markedly improved comfort in a chill wind, enabling you to wear less insulation.
I don't own any out and out softshells anymore but I consider Paramo a softshell and that comes out the colder months. That often gets worn straight over the base-layer. Seems like a decent combo - windproof, venting options and just a little insulation.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:16:16, 27/10/20 »
Nothing revolutionary but in my opinion softshells I think are better for UK conditions than the thermals+fleece+hardshell.  I always found myself wanting to change layers too often and having a clammy back when doing steep ascents and then feeling quite chilled once I was at the top so have changed this to a grid fleece base layer and a wind proof on top.  That probably works for 80% of my hiking unless it's full winter conditions, where I might add a gilet beneath it or switch to a mesh base layer.

VR Guide is a super jacket but without the pit zips I'd be quite dubious as it'll be too warm in many conditions, the light version (Alpine?) might work well for you if you find yourself wanting a water resistant layer with a light insulation aspect.  In some ways we're back to the 90s/early 00s and the DriClime tech from Marmot coming around again, the main difference are the more breathable face fabrics.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:49:58, 27/10/20 »
I've never owned a softshell, I'm not really certain what one is anyway, I've never paid much attention to the term, maybe I should?

I'm very happy with my present-day set up (used when I'm running) which is to wear two base layers, my Brynge 'string vest' next to my skin and then a normal base layer on top. The vest works well for me because I can now wear my merino base layer, which was uncomfortable because it made me itch, especially across my chest. I also used it when I walked all day (the only day since March when I've carried my rucksack) when it was hot and sunny and it certainly made the sweaty back issue easier to deal with. On that really hot day, I also took my top base layer off (when no one was around) and just walked for a while in my vest, I cooled down wonderfully within a few minutes and then slipped the other baselayer back on.

If Covid-19 hadn't happened I'm sure I would have found out what is my best layering options in hot weather but at least I can experiment with how best to layer in the cold months. Which is what I'm doing now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy