Author Topic: Your top 5 parts of Dartmoor are...?  (Read 2404 times)

rdpounder

Your top 5 parts of Dartmoor are...?
« on: 18:56:41, 25/04/12 »
Hi all.  Hoping to do a 2 night wildcamp on Dartmoor in the 2nd half of May.  As a roundabout way of getting some possible ideas, what's your top 5 parts of Dartmoor?  Vague question I know, so to help focus the thinking, I'd be keen to hear about the most interesting Tors (e.g. ones with interesting rock shapes on top etc) and also the best bits of river, especially in terms of actually swimming in them.  Also, any particularly beautiful camping spots.  Any help/advice/suggestions?

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Re: Your top 5 parts of Dartmoor are...?
« Reply #1 on: 19:21:02, 25/04/12 »
You might want to check this site if you havn't already, it helps with the basics of Dartmoor;

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/visiting/vi-enjoyingdartmoor/camping

I also found this site to be really interesting, its has loads of interesting stuff on Dartmoor and lists the tors with brief pics and coords etc.

http://www.richkni.co.uk/dartmoor/index.html

hope this helps..
roll on the weekend

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:23:41, 25/04/12 »
oh and it might worth checking out when the Army are playing with their tanks....

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/MicroSite/DIO/OurPublications/DTE/DartmoorFiringNotice.htm
roll on the weekend

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:38:15, 26/04/12 »
Fave place is probably Sheepstor and that general area as I grew up walking there.  Sheepstor has everything but the entire Burrator area is fantastic.  Dem'port Leat, Leather Tor/Sharpitor.  I like going up the Plym east of Sheepstor.  But the bit N of it is cool too.  Cramber/Coobeshead Tors, Crazywell Pool.

Further east The Dart is nice from New Bridge upstream.  Usually higher up though above Holne, Venford Reservoir/Bench Tor towards Hexworthy & N to Laughter Hole.  Bellever Tor is a good spot.  Further N to Postbridge the walk up the East Dart is great to Sandy Hole.

Then the Tors above Two Bridges going up the West Dart are good too for access to the North. 

I don't actually like the N as much but the high tors are there and the western fringe is great, from Okehampton going south Gt Links/Brat/Hare Tors and Tavy Cleave.  Then in the middle you've got Fur Tor. 

The area west of the B3212 to Princetown is also good.  Foggintor Quarry is a great place and good for a swim but you need to wear shoes, the blasted rock is razor sharp.

the NE and the Teign is also pleasant.

Too long for your timings probably but google the Perambulation of Dartmoor as a route.  It's the medieval circular route taken by the Kings household to check his holdings.

Really you can go just about anywhere and enjoy it.  There is usually something of interest, on the high ground just go Tor to Tor and pick up the bits on the way.  Stone circles and rows are often very impressive.  Cairns, circles and cists can be too but may be harder to find.  on the fringes and in the valleys you get steep sides and fast rivers and the odd pub and cream tea.

Aplogies to the places I've ignored, in particular the Walkham and Mis Tors, Staple Tors & Roos Tor!

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:16:03, 26/04/12 »
Sounds like you know the area well Wurz, I'm a Dartmoor novice, but enjoyed what I have seen so far.
roll on the weekend

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:27:00, 26/04/12 »
Sounds like you know the area well Wurz, I'm a Dartmoor novice, but enjoyed what I have seen so far.

I'm local and am 46 and was dragged across it as soon as I could walk so some of it is going to stick!  ::)

It's main plus points for walking and camping is that you can usually find decent pitches all over the place and there is always water!  Nowhere is particularly dangerous and some of the views are great.  It's downsides is really only some very big bogs - don't try crossing, you will regret it. And areas of b'stard grass. 

For swimming in the rivers it's usually more of a paddle on the high moor with the odd pool that will have depth but not enough area to really swim. 

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:45:44, 26/04/12 »
BTW Trenchfoot's links are good, particularly the walking one.  The NPA site is fine but I ignore the camping map.  As long as you are sensible and out of the way above farmland anywhere is pretty much OK.

rdpounder

« Reply #7 on: 17:41:01, 26/04/12 »
Thanks for the advice guys, all useful stuff  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy