Author Topic: SWCP Westward Ho! to Padstow  (Read 1806 times)

Phileas

SWCP Westward Ho! to Padstow
« on: 10:26:41, 13/05/12 »
I'm doing this stage starting June 2nd (I did Minehead to Westward Ho! last November).

I'm alternating B&B and camping and I was intending to camp at Port Isaac. However, I can't find any campsites near Port Isaac.

Does anyone have experience of wild camping in this area (i.e. within a mile or so of Port Isaac)?

I'm completely new to wild camping, so any advice is welcome.

(I'm about to buy aTerra Nova Laser Photon 1 tent - £300  :o so I hope I enjoy it!)
Robin

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: SWCP Westward Ho! to Padstow
« Reply #1 on: 13:09:33, 13/05/12 »

However, I can't find any campsites near Port Isaac.

I think this site is about 4.5miles away from Port Isaac.....

http://www.chycor.co.uk/gunvenna/

Any good?
 :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Phileas

« Reply #2 on: 13:39:27, 13/05/12 »

I think this site is about 4.5miles away from Port Isaac.....

http://www.chycor.co.uk/gunvenna/

Any good?
 :)

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for something in the immediate vicinity, near the coast. I'll be coming from Tintagel and the "normal" stopping point between Tintagel and Padstow is Port Isaac.

If I walk further than Port Isaac the two legs get "unbalanced", if you see what I mean.
Robin

Kernow jon

« Reply #3 on: 14:01:21, 14/05/12 »
Hi phileas 
I'm walking the Cornish coast path but unfortunately  I haven't walked that section yet 
I wild camp in the woods, I work out how many miles I want to walk with the distance finder on the swcp web site, then go on google maps to find a suitable location, usually a small wood in a valley. 
If you look at port gaverne there's some Heath land up the valley that looks like a pretty good site ( not that I would condone such behaviour of course, wild camping is technically illegal) 
I've never had any trouble wild camping but remember camp late, break early, and leave no trace
A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Phileas

« Reply #4 on: 19:26:02, 14/05/12 »
Thanks Jon

That's very useful advice.
Robin

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy