Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276299 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #390 on: 23:14:07, 28/08/17 »
Had a lovely jaunt, along the SW coast path, near Tintagel today.  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #391 on: 08:17:01, 30/08/17 »
Leading a 14 miler today, which I checked over on Saturday..Offerton & Abney moors, Bretton Clough & the river Derwent.
Gonna be a bit wet through the bracken! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #392 on: 12:06:54, 30/08/17 »
A recent family bereavement has left me with shortfall of opportunity to get out and walk, so I suppose the route of pallbearer I undertook yesterday, may be taken as one of my walks. Fairly uneventful until the approach to the grave came into sight and my side on the coffin with being to the for, had committed me to the narrow side of the grave. A narrow ledge of artificial grass needed an exceptionally sure and accurately placed foot, as I had to help lift the coffin high over an inconveniently placed headstone of venerable age.

As I imagined plummeting to the bottom of the pit that was opening up to my limited vision, I imagined hearing a murmur in my ear from Auntie R;

"You nearly beat me to it, dear!"
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #393 on: 09:01:19, 31/08/17 »
Aww BWW, a bittersweet description of your recent 'walk'. Pleased to hear you negotiated the headstone OK and didn't join Auntie R in her resting place :)

T.x

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #394 on: 20:02:00, 31/08/17 »
During NEXT week, mostly I will be walking from my tent to breakfast in Pooley Bridge before catching the Ferry from Pooley Bridge to Howtown and walking along the Fusedale valley before turning northish to return to my tent via Loadpot Hill, Messrs. Bonscale and Arthur's Pikes and finally the shores of Ullswater  :)

Then, the next day, I'll be scampering over either Hallin Fell or Steel Knotts (whichever one I didn't do on Sunday)  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #395 on: 20:23:33, 31/08/17 »
I walked around Farlington Marshes, here in Portsmouth and today I ran around it, non stop, so pleased with myself. Just before arriving at the marshes car park I drove along the M275 and onto the A27 section to get to it. All three lanes were very busy, when suddenly. almost without warning there was a tremendous shower of heavy rain! I was on the inside lane, driving at about 50mph when suddenly ahead of me, an open topped car screeched onto the hard shoulder and braked hard. The driver didn't look, he just opened his door and jumped out! How the car in front of me missed him I do not know, it must have been by less than an inch! As I drove past, the man, totally soaked, was frantically trying to put his car hood up, totally oblivious to the danger he was in.

Within 10 minutes I was parked and in glorious sunshine.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #396 on: 09:39:14, 01/09/17 »
Aww BWW, a bittersweet description of your recent 'walk'. Pleased to hear you negotiated the headstone OK and didn't join Auntie R in her resting place :)

T.x

O0
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #397 on: 20:51:14, 06/09/17 »
I walked along the south eastern shore of Bewl Water today, a reservoir on the Kent/Sussex border.  It's serene and beautiful and in some places it's fringed by woodland.  A lovely walk.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #398 on: 10:05:06, 07/09/17 »
Local walks for me during my week off work.  I was planning on getting up to the Lakes for a last "go" at a mountain before winter sets in but the weather forecast has been rubbish for that side of the country and, call me strange but, I don't really want to walk in unfamiliar mountainous terrain on my own in bad weather and then return to my tent and sit in that on my own in the pouring rain.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #399 on: 12:23:18, 07/09/17 »
call me strange

You are strange  :D

Aye, the weather looks awful, I don't want to go out in it either  :(
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #400 on: 15:40:00, 07/09/17 »
Local walks for me during my week off work.  I was planning on getting up to the Lakes for a last "go" at a mountain before winter sets in but the weather forecast has been rubbish for that side of the country and, call me strange but, I don't really want to walk in unfamiliar mountainous terrain on my own in bad weather and then return to my tent and sit in that on my own in the pouring rain.

sounds sensible to me  O0

you do the walks for enjoyment so no point doing them if you're not going to enjoy them. They will be there next year  ;)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #401 on: 22:22:54, 14/09/17 »
Quick wonder on South Bodmin moor last evening.  Just made it up as I went along.  Rather windy and squally.  I'm still finding new routes up there after all these years.  I do enjoy getting out after work. 

It's not quite the same in the winter, when it's cold and dark before you even set off, but it's still enjoyable.

Guess that comes from sitting at a computer, in an office with no proper windows, all day.
« Last Edit: 22:26:23, 14/09/17 by BuzyG »

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #402 on: 19:34:11, 19/09/17 »
I walked over the downs from Woodingdean on the outskirts of Brighton to the coast road at Saltdean today. I took in a stretch of the South Downs Way but much of my route was off the trail. Tremendous views    :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #403 on: 08:56:28, 20/09/17 »
Having a second attempt at a recce walk today, for one I'm leading next Wednesday.  I wasn't 100% happy with parts of the first route I devised, so back for another go today.  Trying to find all the quiet, more hidden paths around the Haddon and Chatsworth Estates. The walk should be fairly quiet anyway, as it will be done mid week and the hols are well over O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #404 on: 09:40:18, 20/09/17 »
I walked around the northern edge of Kinder yesterday - from Edale via Grindsbrook Clough and down to Hayfield from Sandy Heys.

The northern edge path seemed tougher going than I remember it. I'm not sure whether it's because it's been wetter recently than the last time I was there or whether there's been a lot more erosion from walkers over the last year or so. Either way, I went flying in the peat twice and then got home to find the water was off because of a leaking mains pipe in the village. Thankfully, it came back on during the night - never did a hot shower feel so good as the one I had this morning!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy