Author Topic: The Antonine Wall  (Read 2742 times)

RichLitt

The Antonine Wall
« on: 15:55:52, 13/12/08 »
Has anyone walked this wall? Or does anyone know of any routes for walking it?

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
Re: The Antonine Wall
« Reply #1 on: 17:02:09, 13/12/08 »
I know there is a map of the wall available, produced by Historic Scotland or somebody of that sort - I've seen it in my smallish local branch of Waterstones.

the coot

« Reply #2 on: 08:56:59, 14/12/08 »
I'm sure someone has asked this before, it has World Heritage Status now you know and is a real treasure (almost as much as the Gask ridge line of Roman forts in Perthshire that is being allowed to go to the rabbits and is generally not cared for). You can walk bits of it (a motorway gets in the way), I'd combined it with bits of the forth and clyde canal and the union canals personally, which you can walk all the way, to make a reasonable walk.
http://www.antoninewall.org/

Lowlander

« Reply #3 on: 21:55:50, 02/07/18 »
I have walked the Antonine Wall entirely and have mapped the complete route too. I did this because there was no connected signage. But now you can simply follow a map on you smartphone. Have a search for: The Antonine Wall - Jerome Blanes Route. It's a very green route and I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course we had great weather this summer.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:17:12, 03/07/18 »
Any need to post the exact same post 6 times (so far)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Lowlander

« Reply #5 on: 09:52:34, 03/07/18 »
Any need to post the exact same post 6 times (so far)

No sorry, Something didn't go right.

ron6632

« Reply #6 on: 09:46:54, 08/09/18 »
Although there is no official “wall route”, much of the John Muir Way now follows the route of the Antonine wall, and certainly covers the best preserved sections well.  Where the JMW leaves the route of the wall at Kirkintilloch, you could continue along the Forth and Clyde Canal to Glasgow. There’s very little evidence of the wall west of Barrhill Fort at Twechar.

Lowlander

« Reply #7 on: 20:16:41, 08/09/18 »

Www.jeromeblanes.blogspot.com
Complete route with all the locations of absolutely all fortlets,  Forts, watchtowers,  signal stations, finds of slabs and altars and milestones, etc. Following the wall as close as possible.

Although there is no official “wall route”, much of the John Muir Way now follows the route of the Antonine wall, and certainly covers the best preserved sections well.  Where the JMW leaves the route of the wall at Kirkintilloch, you could continue along the Forth and Clyde Canal to Glasgow. There’s very little evidence of the wall west of Barrhill Fort at Twechar.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy