Author Topic: Litter picking..?  (Read 2035 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Litter picking..?
« Reply #15 on: 13:41:49, 09/04/20 »
Re: Jac - My experience is the same. Two things I especially hate, when you can see that someone has deliberately placed rubbish in a specific location, e.g beer cans placed two to three high in hedges, and builders who have obviously keep driving and just shed their loads onto the roads by lifting up their hydraulic trailers. Saw one just after the new year, about 150yds long!

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:03:49, 09/04/20 »
Has it [censored], my dreadful neighbour is just dumping it in the street.  3 chairs have been there for weeks, now he has taken down his shed, pulled up the concrete base and dumped that.
?

Rigel

« Reply #17 on: 14:43:28, 09/04/20 »
I'm not a litter picker, occasional or compulsive. However, I will remove crisp packets that have blown or been stuffed into my hedge. I usually put them straight into a wheelie bin - and they can stay there  for up to a fortnight before  heading off to landfill (with the other billions of  discarded crisp packets)

I'd probably be interested to know, when the compulsive litter picker is on a bimble, what do you do with discarded crisp packets that you find? Do you shrink/bake the crisp packets (in the oven), making fine costume jewellery, key rings or just hang them all over your backpack?

« Last Edit: 14:49:02, 09/04/20 by Rigel »

Rigel

« Reply #18 on: 14:55:58, 09/04/20 »
I collect litter.  I have a hedge at the front of my house specifically for the purpose.  It saves the people who come out of the sports club up the road and the local youth from having to carry their cans, crisp packets etc as far as the litter bin just down the street.  I regard it as a public service and rejoice in having to reach in amongst the various species of thorny shrub that constitute my hedge, to extract whatever it is so I can put it in my bin.

;D ;D

Toxicbunny

« Reply #19 on: 15:17:17, 01/05/20 »
We normally have a community litter pick but it's all been cancelled at the moment. Considering less than 200 people live in my village 6 bin bags of rubbish were collected last time. Its usually thrown out of car windows on the route through.  It's disgusting really.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:32:22, 01/05/20 »
Hello.. I am a regular... As much as possible I stay away from roads.
To get from where I stay to reach off-road terrain I use the cycle track beside the newly dualled A9 where vast amounts of litter is thrown from vehicles...can only be from passing vehicles.
The folks of the first estate that I ride past...the fences come up to the cycle track...had recently made s clear-up... I heard that a truckload of rubbish was taken from the area. On the adjoining estate heading Northwards no clearing has been done...it is horrendous what people throw out of vehicles.... Maybe cars should be made with permanently closed windows on the passenger side.
Anyway despite the clearing up before the close down when I passed by this week a couple of times the litter is beginning to re-appear and this despite now very light traffic on the A9 for a few weeks now.
On the B road that runs parallel to the A9 an elderly gentleman from Kincraig does a regular litter pick...same problem with take away food available at both ends in the villages close by.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:23:01, 02/05/20 »
When out off-road running today I saw my first 'litter,' I ran along a narrow lane as part of my route and someone had dumped a load of carpet offcuts on the verge. I ran the same route yesterday and it wasn't there then.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:02:21, 03/05/20 »
Hello... Addionally now on my daily bike rides I have frequently been seeing those discarded blue...what I call the virus gloves. Again must be from vehicles.... You do see a great deal more of discarded trash when cycling.
We do go regularly into the hills in Scotland... My biking tends to be a very enjoyable alternative and this Spring a grand way to gaze out onto the familiar Cairngorm hills... Hills that have been this year with the weather over the past few weeks along with the lingering snowpatches showing us the finest landscape.
Not being solely Cairngorm hill folks I can easily relate to folks corners of the country where household furniture and white goods are dumped in quite distant parts from any town. It does seem for some an activity by folks who cannot take the trouble to find out where the nearest recycling place is....ours is around ten miles from home.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:43:24, 03/05/20 »
When out off-road running today I saw my first 'litter,' I ran along a narrow lane as part of my route and someone had dumped a load of carpet offcuts on the verge. I ran the same route yesterday and it wasn't there then.
Yesterday as I was sitting out the front of the house, a man was putting rubbish in the back of his car.
I asked if the local dump was open again.
He said that there was going to be an announcement on Thursday.

Noticed later that his car was empty of the rubbish he put in.

There may be an innocent explanation.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:15:48, 03/05/20 »
I collect litter.  I have a hedge at the front of my house specifically for the purpose.  It saves the people who come out of the sports club up the road and the local youth from having to carry their cans, crisp packets etc as far as the litter bin just down the street.  I regard it as a public service and rejoice in having to reach in amongst the various species of thorny shrub that constitute my hedge, to extract whatever it is so I can put it in my bin.

I have a similar front garden but my rubbish is from a school 200 yards up the road. No rubbish since lockdown. It's the same in school holidays so I know it's the pupils leaving it. There is a bin opposite my house and they can't be bothered to cross the road to use it.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:07:59, 03/05/20 »
I went out this morning to find a tied plastic bag of poo had been left on the step of the first stile. The Council waste bin is about 150 yards away from the stile. In my experience, if I'm going to see stuff like this en route it's doing to be on a Saturday or Sunday, weekends seem to attract a different kind of person.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:58:23, 03/05/20 »
I went out this morning to find a tied plastic bag of poo had been left on the step of the first stile. The Council waste bin is about 150 yards away from the stile. In my experience, if I'm going to see stuff like this en route it's doing to be on a Saturday or Sunday, weekends seem to attract a different kind of person.
I always thought it would make a good app, "The Dog Poo Marker".
down the road from me is a bus stop.  If I work past it in the mornings I know that there will be a large Richard by it.  This it is more social commentary that anything else.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Pitboot

« Reply #27 on: 10:37:37, 04/05/20 »
Dog owners going into a National Park should have to have a licence that the dog wears on it's collar. Money collected by the admin should go to clearing up the huge numbers of bags of **** that accumulate at stiles and in car parks, or stuffed into walls, or displayed in bushes and trees.

If a dog is seen not displaying a licence then the owner should be fined a large amount of money, say £500.
Sorry if this upsets responsible dog owners on here, but why not? A fee of £10 per annum per dog would not be a huge sacrifice to address this problem.

It would also create a "job" (sorry!) for someone, Dog C**p Warden, LDNP, now that would look good on someone's CV.
The poo operative could be provided with hi viz, PPE, and a badge, and a van so he/she could call in to all the car parks and observe and enforce. I expect a body camera would be needed, especially when accosting a multi tattooed Staffy owning thug getting out of his car in Bowness.

I estimate that in the LDNP area about twenty poop operators would be needed.

This is meant to be tongue in cheek, ie not serious, for those with a low righteous outrage threshold.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #28 on: 11:06:05, 04/05/20 »
Dog owners going into a National Park should have to have a licence that the dog wears on it's collar. Money collected by the admin should go to clearing up the huge numbers of bags of **** that accumulate at stiles and in car parks, or stuffed into walls, or displayed in bushes and trees.

If a dog is seen not displaying a licence then the owner should be fined a large amount of money, say £500.
Sorry if this upsets responsible dog owners on here, but why not? A fee of £10 per annum per dog would not be a huge sacrifice to address this problem.

It would also create a "job" (sorry!) for someone, Dog C**p Warden, LDNP, now that would look good on someone's CV.
The poo operative could be provided with hi viz, PPE, and a badge, and a van so he/she could call in to all the car parks and observe and enforce. I expect a body camera would be needed, especially when accosting a multi tattooed Staffy owning thug getting out of his car in Bowness.

I estimate that in the LDNP area about twenty poop operators would be needed.

This is meant to be tongue in cheek, ie not serious, for those with a low righteous outrage threshold.
And what about the people who use the national park as a toilet.  :-\  I've come across human waste a few time on my hikes.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:40:19, 04/05/20 »
And what about the people who use the national park as a toilet.  :-\  I've come across human waste a few time on my hikes.
As my grandmother would have said, “rub their noses in it”.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy