Author Topic: Newbie - how hard is walking in the Brecon Beacons?  (Read 4280 times)

MockDuncan

First, let me apologise for this post as I know the answer is likely already here somewhere. I'm just looking for a quick response so I know whether I should continue to investigate walking in the BB, as I never have and it looks stunning.

I used to do the mountains in the Lakes, I have reasonable gear, but these days less reasonable knees. We currently confine our walking to the Cotswolds, N Devon (e.g. Lyn River, coastal path, etc) Surrey Hills and South Peaks.

Will BB be too much for us? Looking for circularly walks, 7-10 miles with good views. Pub in the middle a plus. Are these to be found for people like us or is BB more like the Lakes high fellls?

Many thanks in advance

Duncan

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Newbie - how hard is walking in the Brecon Beacons?
« Reply #1 on: 19:47:18, 28/02/19 »
The Beacons do have some steep ascents and descents, much like most mountainous areas in the UK, but don’t let that hold you back, nothing is that bad and there’s no real scrambly bits like Snowdonia. It’s my back yard so pm me if you need any info  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

astaman

« Reply #2 on: 23:15:01, 28/02/19 »
I agree with phil1960 have a go and don't try too hard to find reasons not to do it. There are steep ascents and descents. On the other hand if you choose your starting point carefully (eg Storey Arms, Aber Village on the road up to Talybont Reservoir, Upper Neuadd) you don't have a long walk in to the hill adding lots of miles. A pub in the middle would be a bit harder to arrange I'm afraid. If you're going for a few days and find the higher hills hard going there are plenty of low level walks around the Usk and the surrounding nature reserves so you could cut your losses and have a good time exploring them.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:27:42, 28/02/19 »
Will BB be too much for us? Looking for circularly walks, 7-10 miles with good views. Pub in the middle a plus. Are these to be found for people like us or is BB more like the Lakes high fellls?

I do most of my hill walking in the Brecon Beacons as they're the easiest mountains for us to get to. There are a huge range of walks, from easy strolls round reservoirs or along the canal to steep walks taking in multiple peaks so I'm sure you'll find something suitable. There's nothing as high as in the Lake District and there's no real scrambling.

Finding routes with pubs in the middle is tricky but I've done a couple:

Bryn Arw and Sugar Loaf, stopping off for lunch at The Crown in Pantygelli - http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MzkxMjIwMw==
Hatterrall Hill and Llanthony Priory (bar in the undercroft of the priory) - http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MzE4MzAyNQ==

One warning about the latter, on the way back it goes through a farm yard with some ferocious dogs. If I were doing it again I would cross over the river to get to the road and walk a short way along that before taking a different path back to Cwmyoy.

Also this one has a pub at the end:

Tor y Foel - https://my.viewranger.com/track/details/NzY2MDA0OA==

If you wanted to make it longer and have a pub in the middle when you come off Tor y Foel you could head up to Talybont-on-Usk where there are a number of pubs and then walk back from there.

You can see all my walks in the Brecon Beacons National Park here:

http://claire-walking-blog.blogspot.com/search/label/Brecon%20Beacons%20National%20Park

Often I/we eat at a pub on our way home and I usually mention that in my post.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:38:50, 01/03/19 »
Thinking about it Duncan and looking at the type of walking you mention recently, you may well enjoy waterfall country rather than the high hills. I know the Beacons area intimately, not just the main peaks including many “secret” little paths you won’t find in a guidebook, it comes with being local. I’m not a fan myself of lunchtime pub stops, but the Angel in Pontneddfechan is a favourite of ours as is the Old White Horse just around the corner. You could either start a walk here or use it as a mid point for lunch. The area contains a high number of stunning waterfalls in a relatively small area on several rivers with generally “knee friendly” paths. If this appeals to you send me a PM and I’ll be happy to help.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:42:09, 01/03/19 »

One warning about the latter, on the way back it goes through a farm yard with some ferocious dogs. If I were doing it again I would cross over the river to get to the road and walk a short way along that before taking a different path back to Cwmyoy.

That looks like an interesting walk. Is there any good parking at Cwmyoy.?
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:44:58, 01/03/19 »
Here’s a little sample, it’s just one of many

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:52:54, 01/03/19 »
GinAndPlatonic - They can be a bit territorial in Cwmyoy as it’s very small, but see flag on the pic you can park there and it’s a short walk in, fantastic crooked church there too

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:01:07, 01/03/19 »
GinAndPlatonic - They can be a bit territorial in Cwmyoy as it’s very small, but see flag on the pic you can park there and it’s a short walk in, fantastic crooked church there too

Thanks !..creating a new route now :)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:33:01, 01/03/19 »
I’m not a fan myself of lunchtime pub stops
After my experience of trying to walk up Sugar Loaf after a great lunch at The Crown I'm inclined to agree - felt much, much heavier  ;D

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:34:08, 01/03/19 »
That looks like an interesting walk. Is there any good parking at Cwmyoy.?

We parked by the side of the road behind the crooked church (worth a look while you're there).

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:45:57, 01/03/19 »
After my experience of trying to walk up Sugar Loaf after a great lunch at The Crown I'm inclined to agree - felt much, much heavier  ;D

But lighter coming down  ;D
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:47:23, 01/03/19 »
Thinking about it Duncan and looking at the type of walking you mention recently, you may well enjoy waterfall country rather than the high hills. I know the Beacons area intimately, not just the main peaks including many “secret” little paths you won’t find in a guidebook, it comes with being local. I’m not a fan myself of lunchtime pub stops, but the Angel in Pontneddfechan is a favourite of ours as is the Old White Horse just around the corner. You could either start a walk here or use it as a mid point for lunch. The area contains a high number of stunning waterfalls in a relatively small area on several rivers with generally “knee friendly” paths. If this appeals to you send me a PM and I’ll be happy to help.

Yep, good pubs and good walks from there if you prefer less steep paths  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:49:29, 01/03/19 »
Here’s a little sample, it’s just one of many

Great walk that one, we did it a while back as a forum walk  O0
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:14:51, 01/03/19 »

We parked by the side of the road behind the crooked church (worth a look while you're there).
O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy