Author Topic: Trotternish ridge walk question/s SKYE  (Read 1854 times)

humansnail

Trotternish ridge walk question/s SKYE
« on: 22:06:16, 17/07/17 »
 Hello,
Just wondering if anyone could help out with a few questions about the Trotternish ridge walk. I've read info online, but just a few things I wasn't sure about...

• Parking in Portree. Was planning on leaving the car, getting the bus to the start of Loch Langaig footpath then heading back along the ridge. Are there car parks where you can pay for more than one night? Campsites/hostels that might let you leave the car for a few quid or even better, streets/places where it could be left for free? (nearish to the bus stop in portree)
  • Is there any water on the ridge and if so where? I've read some people say there is some water available and others say you have to carry all you need (going during July/August). If you do have to carry all of it, does anyone know of a convenient place to drive to and stash a few bottles the night before?
  • Are there any sheltered spots for camping or are there many places where it is easy to come down from the ridge to lower ground if the weather turns?
  • Are there any tough scrambling/exposed sections? Doesn't seem to be from what I've read...     
  • Thanks in advance for any info/hints and tips!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
    Re: Trotternish ridge walk question/s SKYE
    « Reply #1 on: 10:13:17, 18/07/17 »

There is a long stay carpark in Portree, down by the shore 5 mins from the bus stop.  I'm not sure how long 'long stay' is, but I have left a car there overnight when staying at the hostel in the square.  I have always found local tourist offices very helpful on the subject of where you can leave a car for a few days, it might be worth checking with them.  Portree is horrendously busy at the moment though.
    There is a road between Staffin and Uig which crosses the Trotternish ridge by the Quiraing which you could use for a quick drop down to lower ground/ drive up to stash water etc.

humansnail

Re: Trotternish ridge walk question/s SKYE
    « Reply #2 on: 21:36:19, 18/07/17 »

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that's very helpful.

:)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy