Author Topic: Anyone had their boots resoled?  (Read 25488 times)

Davidedgarjones

Re: Anyone had their boots resoled?
« Reply #15 on: 14:34:12, 11/07/20 »
I had my Scarpas resoled by Jones, Cobbler in Glossop. Cost £55. An excellent job which include rewaxing and new laces. As I could drive there I avoided the rather heavy postal cost involved in such as LSR. There was no choice of sole, just a fairly standard Vibram pattern. Turnaround time was 5 days.

Photos available if you email me: [email protected]
Dave

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:02:51, 11/07/20 »
We have both used Altberg's resoling service.  Like getting a new pair of boots but even more comfortale!
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:25:23, 12/07/20 »
We have both used Altberg's resoling service.  Like getting a new pair of boots but even more comfortale!

Tempted to do my 3-season Raichle boots as I've never had anything fit as well as those, do they replace with a full new vibram sole or does the boot fundamentally feel any different when you're using it?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:44:51, 12/07/20 »

Tempted to do my 3-season Raichle boots as I've never had anything fit as well as those, do they replace with a full new vibram sole or does the boot fundamentally feel any different when you're using it?
First got a phone report on the state of the upper saying the membrane was worn through by the big toe and did I still want the resoling done.  I said to go ahead and they came back with full new sole and new rand.  The boots do not really feel any diffierent and they do not leak even if the membrane is worn through.
Solvitur Ambulando

Booga

« Reply #19 on: 14:05:33, 14/07/20 »
I had a pair of Salomons resoled after the mid sole started crumbling. I'm not sure if it was due to the whole midsole and sole being replaced but they have not felt the same since, they don't feel as stiff as they used to be and my feet get sore in them. Perhaps a sturdier boot (B1 upwards) wouldn't suffer this issue if only having the sole replaced.
These boots have now been demoted to short local walks and casual use.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:38:55, 14/07/20 »
I have done it once (at a cost of about £60). But I feel that most of the time it is not worth it. By the time the outer sole has gone, usually the goretex and leather are also decaying and in some cases (depending on the boot) the midsole is also not in great shape.

So usually I just buy new boots and demote the old ones to dayhiking/ fair weather shoes, or just for walking through town. For many walks you don't need much of a thread and on dry ground and with reasonable weather you don't need them to be waterproof either.

But on multiday/week/months walks in wet or rocky area or in snow and real mountains, I really want to walk on boots that are in good shape, including the midsoles. So that's what I use new boots for.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy