Author Topic: Osprey Talon  (Read 1977 times)

Couchwalker

Osprey Talon
« on: 10:43:29, 16/08/18 »
Hi, I'm currently using a simple rucksack for walking, it's a 'cloth' type bag, probably more designed as a fashion statement for walking round town. I'm looking to upgrade and have my eye on the Osprey Talon 22 for a daypack. However for reasons described below, I'm a little unsure as whether to go for the 22 or the 33 and was hoping someone on here may have experience with the different sizes.

Currently I need to carry water for myself and dog. I have a 2 litre hydration pack I'm thinking of using from my mountain biking days and would expect to be carrying another 2 660ml Smart water bottles for the dogs water. My wife was in a car accident about 6 months and is still suffering from it so I would also be expecting to carry some of her gear as well. this has made me question whether the 22 is going to be a little tight, but by the same token, don't want on oversized pack that's half empty. I find it so difficult to judge when looking at the packs in store.

wombat

Re: Osprey Talon
« Reply #1 on: 11:16:23, 16/08/18 »
When i upgraded my rucksack i took my loaded old one to the shop and tried all the rucksacks i fancied with my usual walking load. It is also good for checking the comfort and fit.  :)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:44:43, 16/08/18 »
I have a Talon 22 for local country walks and strolls around the town to pick up a few things. Its load support is quite good for a daypack and the back length is adjustable too.
For your situation I would definitely choose the 33 to give some headroom. It's a versatile daypack capacity and will in any case cinch down well if the space is under-utilised.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:58:31, 16/08/18 »
I would go for the 33.  I have a 35 Osprey pack that I use to carry both my gear and that of Mrs N on day hikes.  Carries enough gear (i.e. foulies, fleeces etc) for 2 not only for summer hikes but for winter trips too. Water is carried in an Osprey hydration pack now but in the good old days I used a large plastic fizzy drink bottle that slipped inside.  The external side pockets are convenient for gaiters and/or a water filter bottle.

On summer days when I am walking solo and using it as little more than a glorified water carrier with very little additional kit I find it is comfortable and does not flap about.

Another plus of the Osprey is the convenient pole stowage system.
Solvitur Ambulando

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:06:58, 16/08/18 »
I have the Talon 22 and it's fine for me but if you're carrying three peoples' gear (dogs are people too!) then the 33 would be better. 
Not all those who wander are lost

Couchwalker

« Reply #5 on: 16:28:54, 16/08/18 »
Thanks all, you have confirmed what I initially thought but I do prefer to ask the experts before making a decision.

@Wombat, unfortunately I am still compiling our gear so don't have the all the gear to do that at the moment, not to mention it probably won't all fit in the bag I do use.

@vghikers, I tried the 33 on, unfortunately only with padding and no real weight in Go Outdoors, but it felt super comfortable, and as @ninthace said, the pole stowage system was what made me decide an Osprey was for me.

@Strider, I am actually entertaining the thought of using a back pack for my springer but he's so nuts he'll probably roll all over the place with it still on. We used to have a bullmastiff who came everywhere with us especially when going camping. We used a backpack on him and he was great carrying his poop bags and extra water, right up until the day we decided to put some shopping in there. Right in the middle of the walk back, he decided to roll on his back, there were broken eggs everywhere, squashed grapes, all sorts, it was so bad we had to throw the rucksack away and take him straight for a shower!

Roger

« Reply #6 on: 17:39:44, 17/08/18 »
I've had a Talon 33 and unless you fill it, the lid can be a little saggy and doesn't close over the sack properly. A minor issue, but it annoyed me.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:04:48, 18/08/18 »
I use the Tallon 33 and happy with it. But just a couple of points to mention.
It doesn’t come with a rain cover, this is bought separately.
And you’ll notice there isn’t any air flow to your back, so it can generate a sweaty back.

As I tend to use dry bags inside the sack I don’t use a rain cover, so if the rucksack is half empty, I make sure I put air in some dry bags which fill out the sack so lid stays in shape, if that makes sense  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Couchwalker

« Reply #8 on: 08:46:53, 18/08/18 »
I've had a Talon 33 and unless you fill it, the lid can be a little saggy and doesn't close over the sack properly. A minor issue, but it annoyed me.

Thanks. I did wonder about that, does it not work like the Exos where you can remove it and use a little flap to cover the opening?

I use the Tallon 33 and happy with it. But just a couple of points to mention.
It doesn’t come with a rain cover, this is bought separately.
And you’ll notice there isn’t any air flow to your back, so it can generate a sweaty back.

As I tend to use dry bags inside the sack I don’t use a rain cover, so if the rucksack is half empty, I make sure I put air in some dry bags which fill out the sack so lid stays in shape, if that makes sense  O0

Thanks I was aware of the rain cover and had planned to use dry bags like yourself. That's also interesting to know about the sweaty back, one of the reasons I was going for the Osprey was because of the supposed airflow. How does it compare to other packs? A sweaty back is something I want to minimise but I do like the walking pole storage on the Osprey.

Maybe I need to look at the smallest Exos, does anyone know what the airflow is like on that one? My plan originally was to go for the Talon 22 for day hikes and the Exos 38 for overnights, this then changed to Talon 33 for day hikes and the reasons stated above, and then the Exos 48 for 1-5 nights. Maybe the single Exos 38 will give me enough options for now.
« Last Edit: 08:55:53, 18/08/18 by Couchwalker »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:49:33, 18/08/18 »
I had a Talon until last year and loved it - but it got hammered over the years.  I now use a Stratos - I have a 26l for summer use and a 36l for winter.  I really like the Stratos - airflow is good (and I am one sweaty person) and the bag feels very secure.  It lacks the big stretchy pocket of the Talon on the front, and has a zip up compartment instead.  The Stratos also has built in raincover.  The 36l has a separate waterproof compartment at the bottom of the bag - great in bad weather.  As others have said the lid of the Talon van be saggy, though I never found this a big issue, but the Stratos is fully attached so this is not an issue with these bags.

I think the hip belt is better on the Stratos than the Talon too.

I've not used an Exos so can't help you there.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:28:18, 18/08/18 »
I have had an Osprey Talon 22 for about 3 years. I haven't found the back that sweaty and the pole stowage is handier than some of the alternative designs around. It's proved fairly robust though there is now some damage to the water bottle pockets.

Although my two sons carry their own gear, for more challenging routes and conditions I take things like a group shelter and I found it a bit tight on space for those times. So I now use a Gregory 34l pack (women's version) for those situations, I find it cinches down quite well when you take stuff out.

kiwi keith

« Reply #11 on: 02:00:56, 19/08/18 »
I used a Osprey Stratos 22 for my WHW last year. It performed well and was very comfortable on my back. I found that it could just fit in my daily requirements at a squeeze. Too tight at times.  I decided to also get a Stratos 34 which has the same comprehensive features but can hold everything I need and more. Now I can take my billy with me to cook up a hot cuppa whenever. I like the built in rain cover and pole holders. Have used it for several day hikes around home but will be putting it to a true test next week when I start the PCP.

Couchwalker

« Reply #12 on: 11:11:40, 01/09/18 »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I must admit I'm even more confused as to what to go for although I am pretty much sold on Osprey, the Stow and Go system and lifetime warranty swings it for me.

I've read the side pockets on the Talon 33 are very difficult to get water bottles in and out of without taking it off, but it has the advantage of a separate hydration pouch that doesn't encroach into the main pack like the Stratos. Plus the Talon has the stretchy front pocket which is missing on the Stratos. I found the Stratos minimally more comfortable than the Talon, and the increased back ventilation is also a plus. However the Stratos is 1.5 times the weight of the Talon but benefits from a frame to help it keep rigid.

I then looked again at the Exos 38, which has the advantage of being big enough to do the odd overnight/weekend wild camping trips. I could also remove the top pocket to shrink it down on size for day hikes I then discovered the 2018 model has lost the hip and strap pockets, and no longer offers the support on the hip belt with the majority of the weight being on the back/shoulders which I would like to avoid.

The wife is also laughing at me saying 'I never knew buying a rucksack could be so difficult!', I'm inclined to agree with her......

Couchwalker

« Reply #13 on: 11:12:29, 01/09/18 »
Sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: 11:26:17, 01/09/18 by Couchwalker »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:56:17, 01/09/18 »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I must admit I'm even more confused as to what to go for although I am pretty much sold on Osprey, the Stow and Go system and lifetime warranty swings it for me.

Just for info Lowe Alpine also have a lifetime warranty  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy