Author Topic: TR Brampton Ridge and Talkin Tarn Sun 13 Jan 19  (Read 1713 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We went local on Sunday, the wind was really strong but at least the day looked more promising than yesterday. We had an unpleasant wait for the bus, it was 10 minutes late and we'd stood in the bitter wind for 15 minutes before it came. At least we weren't doing the Spine Race and we wondered what it was like for the racers higher up. Off the bus at Brampton we ascended to the Brampton Ridge and Ridgewood.

Ridgewood

We are always surprised to find that one of the forum members has his own wood  :)

The view from Ridgewood

That is Scotland in the distance and nice to see blue sky.

More of the view from Ridgewood

We'd already stopped for our lunch at the far end of the wood. We hadn't started walking until 11.45, we'd had a bit of a lie in. The wind was strong here but we had managed to have a more sheltered lunch than yesterday.

Beefy and Squeaky on the footpath to Wreay

I'd planned the route so the wind would be behind us for the most part but the wind wasn't that bad here. We were on our way to Talkin Tarn.

Talkin Fell and Castle Carrock Fell seen from the footpath

On the way to Tarn Road

Tindale Fell and Talkin Fell from the path to Talkin Tarn

Talkin Fell from the tarn

We walked anticlockwise round the tarn. It was very busy here and not that windy at first.

Beefy and Squeaky enjoying the sun

The wind rippling the water in the tarn

The wind picked up on the other side of the tarn. We stopped for a banana break in the bird observatory. As usual we couldn't see any birds out of the window  :D We veered right into the path through the woods on the eastern side of the tarn, less populated! We walked back to Brampton via the railway path, nicely timed for the next bus. Our route was Brampton - Ridgewood - Riggside Plantation - Brampton - Gelt Road - Capontree Wood - Wreay - Tarn Road - Tarn Wood - around Talkin Tarn - Tarn Wood, Brampton Railway Station - Dandie Dinmont railway path - Brampton 15.3km with 250m ascent.

We are off Newcastle way on Saturday so the next walk we will be doing will be a bit further east  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Brampton Ridge and Talkin Tarn Sun 13 Jan 19
« Reply #1 on: 18:57:36, 15/01/19 »
More nice pics Ape O0
It's called talkin tarn not shouting tarn  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:19:56, 15/01/19 »
 ;D

I forgot I was going to mention a little girl and mum were having a wonderful time climbing up a steep little hill at the tarn and the little girl got a bit stuck coming down and dad had to go and rescue her. That is "Adventure". No zip wires required.

« Last Edit: 19:24:20, 15/01/19 by April »
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:11:28, 15/01/19 »
It really needs a zip wire  :P
Inomminate Man told me to say it  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:05:52, 16/01/19 »
It really needs a zip wire  :P
Inomminate Man told me to say it  ;D

;D
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:27:00, 16/01/19 »

Spiffing pictures, what, what.
I'm really landed gentry you know, I just pretend to be as common as muck to fit in with the rest of you.

I forgot I was going to mention a little girl and mum were having a wonderful time climbing up a steep little hill at the tarn and the little girl got a bit stuck coming down and dad had to go and rescue her. That is "Adventure". No zip wires required.
When our kids were younger we had a rule when we went walking in the woods that we didn't go home until they were muddy.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:30:33, 16/01/19 »
Some good photos there April, of an area that I know well. That ridge is lovely, and I've been to Talkin Tarn many times as a child. In fact we very nearly moved to Brampton when I was 10.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:31:03, 16/01/19 »
I'm really landed gentry you know, I just pretend to be as common as muck to fit in with the rest of you.

;D

When our kids were younger we had a rule when we went walking in the woods that we didn't go home until they were muddy.

That is a great rule. Mud = adventure  :)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:32:51, 16/01/19 »
That ridge is lovely, and I've been to Talkin Tarn many times as a child.

It is a nice area to walk. It is easy for us to get to on Sundays, we go there a lot in winter.
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:08:51, 16/01/19 »
Great walk and photos in an area we intend to visit more often in the summer on the hills.

We stopped for a banana break in the bird observatory. As usual we couldn't see any birds out of the window
Of course. That's the last place you'd expect to see birds, at least other than the very common ones. The same thing applies to nature reserves: we've walked through a couple in summer and, apart from plants, not seen a living thing of any kind, even an insect.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy