Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276099 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1410 on: 07:23:43, 29/09/20 »
Going to head to Brough on the Humber then walk some of the trans-Pennine trail with my doggy. Hopefully she will like it, but I think she prefers walks that are familiar to her.

Our dog loves new territory - she pulls even harder!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Little Foot

« Reply #1411 on: 15:09:44, 29/09/20 »

I had to scrap going to Brough. I got on the wrong damn train!  :o  Fancy having two trains leaving at the same time in a station with about 6 platforms. It wasn't my fault at all.  :-\

I had to get off at Cottingham so I decided to take a walk to Beverley from there. The trans-Pennine humber-stretch walk will have to wait.

Currently sat in a pub with a coke.

Our dog loves new territory - she pulls even harder!

My dog sticks to me like glue generally on our long walks. I'll think I have lost her but she's heeling right behind me. I'm guessing it's nerves.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1412 on: 17:29:20, 29/09/20 »
First gaiters walk of Autumn today along the Devonshire Heartland Way,  mostly because we anticipated very wet vegetation rather than anything more exotic - still they earned their keep as our trousers and feet stayed dry.  The return route was mainly along lanes - got some funny looks. Mind you, later on in the year, gaiters can be de rigueur even for the allegedly metalled roads when the farmers begin their annual soil swapping ritual (1).

Note:
1. The Devon Soil Swapping Ritual.  Each farmer drives up and down in his fields to get as much mud on his tractor and trailer as possible.  Once he is satisfied, he drives his vehicle at high speed along the road until all the mud has fallen off.  In accordance with tradition, motorists then spread the mud along the road as far as they can.  Finally, the farmers return and try to gather the mud back onto their vehicles and carry it off to their respective farms.  Unfortunately this last part of the ritual does not seem to work too well, so farmers spend extra time driving slowly along blocking the lanes as they try to gather the mud while happy motorists follow them along gaily pointing out the bits they have missed and collecting them on their own cars.  And they say there is no proper entertainment in the countryside!
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1413 on: 13:28:59, 30/09/20 »
Llansilin; Some beautiful hidden valleys behind Gyrn Moelfre, so close to the Berwyn Ridge but without the hassle. And walks to go back to, sneaky little glimpses of ground we have not visited before or a very long time ago. The whole day to ourselves, except a farmer and his son, sorting and treating sheep.

« Last Edit: 13:50:06, 30/09/20 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1414 on: 18:49:13, 30/09/20 »
Managed to drive the car OK, getting in and out still a bit of an issue! so fancied a wee ride out, first time in some weeks. Ended up along Hadrains Wall, have a small bit to walk along Way, just up the bank from Chollerford, where Daft as a Brush River Tyne walk joins, going up to top of the hill, just over a mile.
Start at the top and walk down field and there in front is the first challenge! Cows in the middle of the path! First time I've been out since all this 'Cow' talk on forum, fortunately these were young cows only interesting in eating, only two even bothered to raise their heads to give me the once over.
Hip pains started so pleased only a short walk. On the way back met the farmers wife, just back from feeding cows, had a good chat....her husband fell and hurt his ankle, hospital said only a sprain, it was actually broken and he's been in a moon boot  for 3 months, back to hospital expecting it to be removed, no another one fitted for another 3 months!.... wish someone would come up with a practical use for sheep wool.
Walking back up hill wasn't as bad but had difficulty bending back to get back in car! 2.69 miles.
Had a drive westwards along route of Wall, which looked magnificent in this autumnal light.
House next-door was called Lanercost by the original owners, many years ago, they were from Lanercost 'where the priory is'. Had no idea about this... until today as nearby called for a look. Impressive and relayed my tale to a couple I met, they said we have friends from Durham, used to live in South Street do you know it? Yes its possibly the most expensive street because it overlooks Cathedral. They were quite surprised.
Canny day out.

Autumnal scene...

Lanercost Priory

« Last Edit: 18:59:03, 30/09/20 by Dodgylegs »

BrionyB

« Reply #1415 on: 22:00:22, 01/10/20 »
Yesterday, in what seemed like a good idea at the time, I walked from Bowness-on-Windermere to Glenridding over the fells - Yoke, Ill Bell, Froswick, High Street - the longest walk I've done in many years and more demanding than I expected. I somehow remembered that ridge as being fairly flat once you were up there, but there is actually quite a lot of up and down, and it felt like a bit of an ordeal at times, especially with the wind and rain. Not many photos as my phone battery died a few miles in, but it wasn't exactly a day for views anyway...

I think this is the summit cairn on Yoke, but it really could be anywhere  ::)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1416 on: 09:48:51, 03/10/20 »
You picked a wild wet day for your walk, Briony!
Phone batteries dying is so irritating - I've bought a USB power bank recently for longer trips, just in case.

And yes, that Ill Bell ridge is a bit of a rollercoaster, but easy going once you get on to High Street.

Edit - this is the view that you would have had from the summit of Yoke: ;)

https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/kentmere-horseshoe-wild-camp/
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1417 on: 10:57:38, 03/10/20 »
That's quite a walk Briony on a bad day. Last time is was along the ridge from Yoke to High Street I was on a paid day from work; the crew I was waiting for didn't turn up so the boss rang to tell me I would still be paid but to go off and enjoy myself! Result :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1418 on: 22:56:04, 23/10/20 »
You picked a wild wet day for your walk, Briony!
Phone batteries dying is so irritating - I've bought a USB power bank recently for longer trips, just in case.

And yes, that Ill Bell ridge is a bit of a rollercoaster, but easy going once you get on to High Street.

Edit - this is the view that you would have had from the summit of Yoke: ;)

https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/kentmere-horseshoe-wild-camp/

That is a cracking view.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1419 on: 23:31:33, 23/10/20 »
Perfect afternoon evening out on Dartmoor today. Set off at 14:00 and walked up from Meldon quarry along the reservoir, before cutting up over Shelstone and walking the edge of the ridge up to kitty tor.  I followed Amicombe hill for a while before crossing the brook and grabbing a quick cuppa at Fur tor.  Not knowing how lovely the evening would turn out I had set a turnaround time for 16:30 so it was time to head back towards the car.  Up over Great Kneeset, a deeper than expected ford at kneesets nose.  Thank goodness for gaiters. Then on up to Dinger tor just as the sun was setting.  From there I headed on over High Willhays to Yes tor, before dropping down back towards Meldon.   Now in the last faint glow of twilight there was no need for a head torch, the moon casting my shadow on the ground.  I should of put it on a little earlier though, as I took the wrong route down past the quarry.  Fortunately I realized my error when I heard Red a Ven brook ahead of me, stopped and put on my head torch and soon popped back on to the right path.  Fording the brook in the dark would have been a really daft idea, with so much water in it.

It's been a year or so since I last enjoyed walking by moonlight at the end of a good day in the hills, that was a special one.  :)

Little Foot

« Reply #1420 on: 15:28:12, 24/10/20 »
This week me and the dog took the bus to Hessle then walked to a place that is locally called Little Switzerland. We walked around there, then went across the Humber Bridge, which, judging by my dog’s fleeting glances to the side, she wasn’t keen on. We stopped at a cafe on the other side called The Tile Works, which was dog friendly. I then just headed back. We walked just over 8 miles.

Little Foot

« Reply #1421 on: 15:42:20, 24/10/20 »
Next week, I have made last minute plans to walk more of the Yorkshire Wolds Way with my son (which he doesn’t know about yet and as he is a teen, I am not looked forward to him finding out, either).

We have already walked from Hessle to South Cave, then South Cave to Market Weighton.

This journey will be from Market Weighton to Millington, stopping at Millington Village Hall. This is £15pppn, but includes the ingredients for us to make a cooked breakfast in the morning. The hall provides a fully equipped kitchen; indoor toilets; electric heating, hot water; drying rack; and newly fitted electric shower. We need to provide sleeping bags and towels.

I’d just like to say that Peter from Millington who I spoke to on the telephone when arranging it was such a lovely guy. He didn’t know if the hall was open (he had to speak to the rest of the committee), but he said he would love to help us out and even offered to provide us what we’d need for an evening meal when he realised the pub would be shut on the night we are there. A real gent he is.

From Millington we are walking to Fridaythorpe, but the weather looks a bit rainy that day. Now I have a dilemma in that there is a campsite open there, with the weather looking ok for the next day. Do I take the tent and stay the night, or will we be too wet and miserable on the evening to enjoy that next day?

wombat

« Reply #1422 on: 21:21:52, 04/11/20 »
Was supposed to be in Keswick next week, obviously cannot go now so having a walk tomorrow from Bridlington to Flamborough Head and back, with a friend who is just getting into walking

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1423 on: 22:37:53, 04/11/20 »
Lovely walk that, wombat.

No walking for me, been diagnosed with pleurisy, which is a bummer.  Can only sleep propped up, so I snore, and Mrs pdstsp is beginning to lose her usual smile.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1424 on: 22:44:28, 04/11/20 »
Lovely walk that, wombat.

No walking for me, been diagnosed with pleurisy, which is a bummer.  Can only sleep propped up, so I snore, and Mrs pdstsp is beginning to lose her usual smile.

That doesn't sound too good pdstsp, hope you caught it early. Get well soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy