Author Topic: one man tents  (Read 4958 times)

Snowman

Re: one man tents
« Reply #15 on: 14:16:47, 14/02/08 »
Mike Knipe’s assessment of what to look for is pretty good, but I’d just add a point of my own.

He mentions ease of putting up and taking down the tent.    Bear in mind also the possibility that it might be [censored]**g down with rain.    So the additional consideration is whether the tent is put up/taken down inner first.    Cheaper tents tend to go up inner first, which means that if it is chucking it down, the inner may well get soaked before you can get the waterproof outer over it.

Consider also that inner first tents mean that the poles usually attach to the inner and the flysheet goes over it.    If you have problems threading the poles, then the exposure of the tent to the elements can be extended.

I can’t speak for the Akto, but the Nallo (same make) has an added advantage that the inner can be attached to the outer using toggles (like on a duffle coat), and can be put up and taken down still attached.    This of course means that the inner is protected from the elements during the entire erection process (I’m talking about putting the tent up, not what you do in it).    Similarly if it’s raining when you strike camp, just take away the poles and roll up the tent.

S.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:21:29, 14/02/08 »
Fair do's - I agree with Snowman's notion about a tent that you put up outer first is better when it's persisting.
The Akto goes up inner/outer all in one go - or you could put the outer up first.Mine's inner has never been detached from the outer. There is a problem with the inner/outer fixed together - if your tent is wet when you take it down (eg with dew or even ice(!), then its wet when you put it back up again - and if the inner is attached to the outer, it soaks the inner and the groundsheet, so you have to dry it out before you can put anything into it - not so good if its still raining.  The big advantage is speed of erection 8) - 2 or 3 minutes max, even in a gale
I use a sponge/scourer and/or a pack towel to dry it out. I never learn to store the two parts seperately, cos I is fick. :-\
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Snowman

« Reply #17 on: 09:46:01, 15/02/08 »
if your tent is wet when you take it down (eg with dew or even ice(!), then its wet when you put it back up again - and if the inner is attached to the outer, it soaks the inner and the groundsheet

Good point.

Thankfully I've always been lucky in the morning since I bought the Nallo, but that's a useful bit of information that may turn out valuable one day.

From what you say the Akto and Nallo are made the same way, i.e. inner attached.   Like you I've never bothered to detach the inner.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy