Author Topic: Trans Pennine Trail - Southport to Stockport  (Read 990 times)

KLNMSoftly

Trans Pennine Trail - Southport to Stockport
« on: 10:15:43, 10/02/20 »
Later in the year I am planning on walking from Southport to Stockport along the Trans Pennine Trail in one go. It's just over 100km and I'm hoping to do it in around 20 hours but calling it a 24 hour challenge.

I was wondering whether anyone had done something similar (or even part of this route) and had any advice, or tips? I'll be doing this solo.

My longest walk to date is 27 miles so it's a step up for sure being double the distance. I actually did this with no training (and barely any hiking experience) so I'm thinking with some prep it should be achievable.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

titch22

Re: Trans Pennine Trail - Southport to Stockport
« Reply #1 on: 18:49:15, 10/02/20 »
My sister and I did part of this section some time ago. From southport to the outskirts of Liverpool. Just remember it being quite urban so lots of road walking on the flat. No issues with signage at that time either.
100km...62miles....thats some distance in 24 hours, but you must know what you're doing.
« Last Edit: 18:57:38, 10/02/20 by titch22 »

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Re: Trans Pennine Trail - Southport to Stockport
« Reply #2 on: 18:54:57, 10/02/20 »
Hello and welcome .
I have walked the TPT.
Only from West side of Altrincham bypassed Dunham Massey
 to Heathly and LYMM village as Far as Thelwall ,
Near the Manchester ship canal .

But came back on the Bridge water canal for a change of scenery .
I know when you get to the outskirts of Altrincham Broadheath And Woodhouses
You will turn North (as opposed to going East) the TPN takes you to go NE beside Carrington spur before the M60 turn right onto the River Mersey path going South , believe it's the NCN 62 cycle path past Sale Water park, and Jackson's Bridge.
You will be following the River Mersey all the way past Northendon , Withington , DidSbury golf courses and Meander with the River which goes all the way alongside the M60 and come out in a trading estate at Junction (1) M60
At Travis Brow .
Your landmark is The Glassed Building The Pyramid  .
About 1mile to Stockport town ,and further on the Station .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy