Author Topic: Need some advice on fleeces for the Pennine Way!  (Read 1273 times)

gregpaton10

I'm hiking the Pennine Way and Highlands this summer and need some advice's on what thickness of fleece I need! I have a good technical Baselayer (Craighooper Atoll) and a Waterproof Jacket (Northface Venture) and I'm now wondering what kind of fleece will be warm enough for the trails (Microfleece, which I understand is the same as AKL 100, vs an AKL 200?..also, is Polartek Microfleece just a brandname or is it a warmer material?)  I'm hoping I can get away with one fleece in order to cut down on weight?

Any thought appreciated!

Snowman

Re: Need some advice on fleeces for the Pennine Way!
« Reply #1 on: 10:16:02, 13/06/08 »
To be honest, I continue to use an old Peter Storm fleece I bought from Millets about 10 years ago.    This has since been on trips both home and abroad, and has adequately done the job it was bought for.

It is a bit bulky, so about 4/5 years ago I bought a Mountain Equipment Windstopper, but these are quite expensive (it was in the sale at the time).    I’ve yet to take it on a trip though, as I can’t quite break from my trusted Peter Storm.

S.

yetanotherben

Re: Need some advice on fleeces for the Pennine Way!
« Reply #2 on: 10:06:33, 16/06/08 »

How about a lightweight (100 - 200) softshell.  I guess most of the cold will come from the strength of the wind on the moors, so a softshell would help reduce that if you choose one that's a wind breaker too.

Let us know your thoughts...

In regards to your question, Polartek is the brand name (I think, or do you mean Polartec?), but microfleece is a generic term used for minimal fleece layers. 

What about something like the Berghaus Trek or Pro Sports Stretch Light fleece which can be worn on their own or as a mid-layer?
"Walking is man's best medicine..."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???
Ben (1983 AD - Present Day)

http://www.cheaptents.com [nofollow] - Camping Equipment & Outdoor Shop

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy