Author Topic: Coleman Peak 1 Stove - HELP !  (Read 2291 times)

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
Coleman Peak 1 Stove - HELP !
« on: 12:46:07, 13/08/08 »
My 20 year old Coleman stove is now giving me problems...... :P

symptoms........ after giving the first few pumps to pressurise the generator tube, the stove lights as usual....... but, when it is burning yellow, and I give a few more pumps (up to 60 secs as recommended in ops manual), all I get is a dribble of fuel from the flame box, which then runs over the top of the stove to burst into flames.
 ???
I have stripped the thing down, and nothing seems blocked or sooted up in any way, so - does anyone have any ideas ? :-\
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

Mr Sam

Re: Coleman Peak 1 Stove - HELP !
« Reply #1 on: 12:48:17, 13/08/08 »
Well I assume that its not getting the pressure to shoot out a vapor of petrol. Have you checked the rubber seals as they may deteriorate over time?
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:19:23, 15/08/08 »
I have topped up the oil in the pump in the hope that the seal had shrunk.... the pump action certainly felt stiffer, but the same low pressure effects were in play afterward, as was the new habit of squirting a jet of fuel out of the breather hole in the top of the piston (the one you stick your thumb over when you pump it)

Last week, a jet of fuel squirted out as I was pumping - and immediately caught fire, so that I had all the hairs on the back of my hand burned off. I am getting seriously disappointed with this machine now, and may consign it to the bin, which is a bllody shame, as for 20 years it has performed reasonably well.

Does anyone know if I can get this refitted anywhere in the UK.
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

goody

« Reply #3 on: 18:04:25, 07/09/08 »
Dont know if this will help but strip the genertor pipe off it and place it in a pan of water with some washing up liquid in it and boil it for 10 mins give it a try see if it helps  ???

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:58:05, 08/09/08 »
Thanks Goodie, but in the meantime, I have also found a solution.... strip of all the bits that will unscrew, and flush it through with white spirit.... don't know what it dissolved, but it went in white, and came out brown ! So it must have done some good !! Took a few goes to burn clean again, but now seems almost like new.

Last time I run my "unleaded" stove on any form of petrol !!

Skinny Walker

« Reply #5 on: 08:23:54, 09/09/08 »
You could try converting it to LPG? ;D ;D ;D
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

springsoles

« Reply #6 on: 13:26:21, 11/09/08 »
20 years old? Just buy a new one they're not that expensive.
Want to increase endurance and eliminate shin splints?

Try the worlds only performance enhancing insole!

At - http://SPRINGSOLES.co.uk [nofollow]

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:29:09, 11/09/08 »
20 years old? Just buy a new one they're not that expensive.

I know, I know, but it is the bloody principle of the thing - there can't be that much to go wrong with the thing, so I should be able to repair it. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy